PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and long story!

rose22
10th January 2011, 04:43 PM
Hi everyone, I registered last week and read a few posts before I introduced myself. I am Donna, i'm 19 and have had horses in my life since I was 6 weeks old. I started riding from as early as I could sit upright to be honest but sadly my pony died in 2007. Following this my mum sold her horse and I have been lost without them since. I just fancied reading some horsey chat, makes me feel at home... I will have another one day.

For those with time on their hands I would like to share my ponies amazing story.

Rose was my first pony. At 6 weeks old my mum decided I needed to grow up with one and wrote a letter (jokingly meant to be from me) begging my grandad that I needed a pony from him. He was too soft and along came rose she was a small exmoor x welsh type mare built like a tank later in life with 4 white socks and white blaze down her face. Everything went well with me growing up in wellies and wax jackets and enjoying the general muckiness of horses.

After a couple of years my mum had to sell up and rose was moved on. 2 Years past without the horses, my parents kept track of where she was for a long time after selling but some where contact was lost and they only had a rough idea what end of the country she was at. My mum being as mad as she is, woke up one day and said "I have to find her" We asked where she was but she didnt have a clue and left in the car with no details to try and track her down asking everyone she could. That night my mum found the yard she was at and saw someone walking a rather depressed Rose into the yard. Mum ran up to her to be shouted at "stay away this horse is dangerous" Ignoring it she threw her arms round her neck and rose rested her head on my mums shoulders. They yard folk were gobsmacked!

After tracing everyone we now know in 2 years she had 17 homes!! She had been through sales, battered and starved of food and water at a few of those places and became so aggressive at riding school she was hobbled and tied tight to simply tack her up! After finding her she was instantly bought and brought home. With my dads redundancy money I might add so a little tension there I feel haha. At this point I was 7 years old. I began to ride again and done the usual, joining pony club and hacking out. Rose and always been a driving pony aswell and we enjoyed our drives round the coaltown at the weekends often helping the old folks get their newspapers. I should also mention there was never an agressive bone in rose's body in our care but she was always grumpy on the surface. Not many people past us saw her effectionate side.

In 1999 (I think) Rose was in the cart one evening when a car drove into my mum and her at 70mph and the cart shafts went through the windscreen. It dragged her screaming over the roof of the car and left her with severe multiple injuries including a wing mirror imbedded in her shoulder, mm's away from a punctured lung, fracture pelvis, broken ribs and fractures to the skull only discovered years later. The vet knew my mum well and her vet nursing past so gave her one week to find an improvement in her and have her walking before deciding that she should be put down. For that week my mum slept in a stable draining her chest wounds every few hours and taking deliveries of soup and sandwitches. She was so bad I was banned from seeing her for a month. Friends and family helped out with looking after me, my mum and even helping with rose. Nearer the end of that week mum had to move her legs forward individually until she managed to take some steps of her own to get the grass. Mum broke down and phoned pretty much everyone to tell them the news and from there she recovered greatly. Even a month later when I saw her she looked very sore and would only really want my mum to touch her but there was something there in her! Months later she was fighting fit and had already been happy to see her driving harness. Theres no way in the world we though she would be traffic safe but as normal she didnt bat an eyelid and wanted straight back in the cart.

After a full recovery the only limits was artheritis in her shoulders, a few scars and the inability to take off on the left leg...not bad eh? We started show jumping together, just kids stuff but loved it, pony club games, long distance hacks, nothing phased her. We always went clear and in the pony club teams we were relied on for the speed as she could turn some corners! She would never knock or refuse a fence. She ended up jumping over 4ft an was only 12.3 hands herself. The first time she refused a fence we knew it was time to stop. That week we done a small class at ladybank show and retired her on a trophy. She stopped all competitions at 13 years old due to her shoulders but was still more than fit for hacking which was great. The bond we grew over the years was amazing my mum had the same. Many years before on a hack my mums back had gone into spasm (she has spondolosis and broke it as a teen) she couldnt move or do more than hold the sadddle. Rose crossed every road by voice and tiptoad all the way home even using a different track to the normal to avoid a small jump off a wooden bridge. Instead of taking her the the stables she took her into the yard owners garden and stood infront of her kitchen window!!

In her last year we noticed her getting ill. We moved away from the yard we were at and ended up in a lovely private quiet place with huge stables and a place she clearly loved. After several anti biotic courses, scans, xrays and trips to the dick vet she was diagnosed with poisoning. The yard we moved from had people just moved from london who thought they knew better and started to spray the fields for ragwort with the horses in it and didnt bother to let us know. We moved them the minute we found out and said do not spray the field they are in. They obviously sprayed over the wall and Rose was on deaths door. We told them and simply got "oh well let us know"! Rose was on drips for days as a last resort but her previously damaged liver from the crash wasnt enough to fight it and we both knew she had had enough. She was put to sleep on the 23rd of October 2007 and I will never forget it. I stayed with her all the way and we organised to have her cremated. My grandad who originally bought her paid to cremate her and bought a willow tree to bury her ashes which is now in our garden. He later died the following year but always joked that he would take polos with him and look after her. She was way to young to die at 16 and I will never forgive the people as they ignored advice and just didnt care but those 16 years were great for us both

I broke down writing this but feel I needed to share her story. She really did have a true black beauty story. I will never forget the bond I had with her and it leaves me with such a passion for them I am just not in a situation to own one just now. I would be a completely different person without her. She taught me to ride, she taught me to take a fall, she taught me the emotions and strenght a horse can have and thats what I take from our 16 years together.

Some old pics, will try and find a really old one
http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo86/quadrapop/Photo-0016.jpg
http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo86/quadrapop/Rosethetube.jpg

my tatoo on memory of her, designed by me when she died

Gix
10th January 2011, 05:30 PM
well you certainly brought a tear to my eye! What a lovely heartfelt post! It is amazing how horses, well all animals that we can learn to share our lives with, can make us richer personalities.
I hope one day you get to share those emotions with another horse.
Welcome to the site
RIP Rose

rose22
10th January 2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks for your reply. It was written with a lump in my throat. We wouldnt be the same without them eh?

BEX101
10th January 2011, 05:45 PM
Hello and welcome. Rose sounds like one in a million and a hard act to follow but there will be another one out there for you. X

Anni~Bell
10th January 2011, 05:48 PM
Crickey that definitely bought a tear to my eye! What a lovely story and I bet she was so glad to find you and live out all her days with you. What a pretty girl as well!

IrishGreenSheep
10th January 2011, 05:53 PM
What a beautiful and sad story. I would love to see more pictures of her x

rose22
10th January 2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks everyone, she certainly was a one off. The horse I end up with will have to be chosen carefully for sure after rose. I will try and upload some of the early pick. Theres one of me riding at 2 its quite funny.

rose22
10th January 2011, 07:33 PM
Some more pics, resized these ones too

me on rose at 2 years old

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo86/quadrapop/Photo443.jpg

The week she was found and came home

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo86/quadrapop/Photo486.jpg

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo86/quadrapop/rose2.jpg

we had so many other horses over the years some long term some short heres amber we had her a couple of years, fantastic horse, shes 26 and happy in her other home

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo86/quadrapop/amber.jpg

heres milo, he was a permanent but was sold after rose died. I wish he was never sold but that was my mums decision. Miss him soo much

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo86/quadrapop/save4.jpg

Im going through someold albums now so I might find more, hope its not to much.

the day she was put down

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo86/quadrapop/Photo-0095.jpg

in harness

http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo86/quadrapop/f421e255-2bd3-4d1a-8576-c1aec80674bc.jpg

Zeitgeist Mom
10th January 2011, 07:36 PM
I'm in tears reading this! What an amazing story. You could make a movie out of Rose's story to rival Black Beauty! what a pleasure to have you on board ('scuse the pun) and if you're ever up North you can always come and visit mine. :)

rose22
10th January 2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks I am glad its touched you all. I am sure amber (photod) is now in Aberdeen. Telling the story helps me a bit to. Kinda never dealt with it. I am realising how much I got form the 16 years and to forget about the years we didnt get together.

Gix
10th January 2011, 08:11 PM
lovely pics, she looked a darling!

My Crazy Clan
10th January 2011, 08:50 PM
what a fantastic mare!

annmarie
11th January 2011, 08:01 AM
such a moving story and what a girl xxx

Katie81
11th January 2011, 12:29 PM
:devil:I'm in tears reading this! What an amazing story. You could make a movie out of Rose's story to rival Black Beauty! what a pleasure to have you on board ('scuse the pun) and if you're ever up North you can always come and visit mine. :)

Completly agree!!! you should have this made it in to a film (if a dog can do it) I am in tears just reading this story and thank you for taking the time to share it. I want to hear more....what a brilliant mare!

rose22
11th January 2011, 03:46 PM
You all seem great and thanks for the comments, I am doing a project to raise awareness for the sspca at college. I am an art student. I plan on doing animal portraits along with their stories of their past and may well use her portrait with a short story of what she went through in the 2 years away.

Pie_x
11th January 2011, 09:08 PM
You have really brought a tear to my eye! What a lovely, lovely story. It is so sad, you and Rose & your mum didn't half go through alot... What a special little pony, a proper fighter.

Your right about a true little Black Beauty, it certainly reminded me of that. What a wonderful little pony, i'm sure you'll never forget xxx

Loz
12th January 2011, 03:50 PM
What a lovely story, she was so lucky your mum found her again and she got to live out the rest of her life with you.

Louise
12th January 2011, 04:47 PM
Awwwww...way to make me bubble just before I leave for work!!..

Rose sounds like a total star!..

Welcome to the forum, I'm just over the water..Hubby is a Fifer tho!

Robbo
31st January 2011, 05:00 PM
tears here too!!! What a fantastic story and what a great mare.
You will find a new friend I'm sure - and have all the experience Rose gave you to make another horse's life a perfect one!

eeek
31st January 2011, 05:08 PM
What a cracking pony! She looks and sounds amazing. Really enjoyed reading her story. Hope you get another horse soon :)

fell lover
1st February 2011, 12:45 AM
Just found this - huge hugs, your girl was lovely!!!!
Welcome to EW x

daytona
1st February 2011, 07:42 AM
How did I miss this?
What a beautiful story and what a lucky pony to have been found by your mum. She looked amazing. Welcome to EW. xx