PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here have a Dutch Warmblood?

Zeitgeist Mom
10th January 2011, 07:12 PM
Just interested really. Two of the horses I am looking after at the moment are Dutch Warmbloods, and they are just the nicest, wonderfulest, awesomest horses I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Their owner is quite a strict disciplinarian, so I was just wondering whether it was their upbringing or their breeding that made them so nice.

He does have a third horse (Lusitano) and he is timid and nervous, so I think the breed does have something to do with it.

One of them is a 20 year old gelding who is the ultimate gentleman. The other is a three year old filly and what an incredibly gentle, sensible girl she is. She is full of beans but so careful and elegant in her exuberance. Just divine. :love:

CityLights
10th January 2011, 07:19 PM
the dutch warmblood is generally quite calm and a little dim really, they originlly were carriage horses hence the temp and generally really good fronts nd necks, the dutch then went on to develop show jumpers and the ones that didnt jump they classed as dressage but despite that they this year i think were world number one in the dressage ranking of stud books

casper_cb
10th January 2011, 07:33 PM
Otis is dutch warmblood. Generally I think they are a lovely breed, fairly calm, genuine, but if they don't want to do something there is little you can do to persuade them otherwise. They have a stubborn streak. A family friend does a lot of work with young horses and won't touch dutch warmbloods for the reason they are quite opinionated, if it's a discipline they like - great, but if you want them to do something else you're at a bit of a loss.

Prince is Dutch warmblood X thoroughbred, he's the most genuine horse in the world, verging on being a bit simple. He's a slow learner but once he's got it he's such a trier.

Having said that it's very difficult to pigeon hole breeds because as you said it's a lot to do with nature versus nurture.

adamntitch
10th January 2011, 10:37 PM
never worked with dutch warmbloods but worked with bolvarian warmbloods and they where realy calm horses as well even the stallion now sadly gone was as calm as could be

look up vogrie equestion centre thats where i worked theres a few pics on there am sure

Ambers Mum
10th January 2011, 10:49 PM
YES YES YES!!! Well my sis not me but I am now having the pleasure of riding her! She is a 14 year old, bay 16.3hh and a dope on a rope!

She reminds me of a huge mony in everyway! Her manner sweren't very good when my sister bought her but my kids handled her everyday and rode her loads so now she is totally perfect for anyone and most of the DWB's I have met are pretty well mannered/behaved.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs771.snc4/67165_10150325070940459_696295458_16076360_1499422 _n.jpg

I swearshe actually believes she's just another pony lol
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2116/64/66/1206377093/n1206377093_30299096_6678.jpg

hannahdudey
14th January 2011, 02:42 PM
2 of mine are and i would reccomend them any day of the week amazing horses! x

Zeitgeist Mom
14th January 2011, 03:09 PM
Love that second pic Mandi! what a sweetie she is. Now I'm more in love than ever....:love:

Navygirl
14th January 2011, 07:51 PM
I always vowed on getting a dutch warmblood after backing and bringing on a lovely 6 year old dutchie. Somehow I ended up with a hanoverian x tb...

Zeitgeist Mom
15th January 2011, 01:05 PM
Beautiful horse Lee! Wow - couldn't imagine a horse that would tick all my boxes better. (Except maybe if she had a willy ;))

Zeitgeist Mom
15th January 2011, 01:39 PM
Why did you sell her?

Zeitgeist Mom
15th January 2011, 01:51 PM
That's so sad. :( Sorry for bringing up your painful memories.

nic
15th January 2011, 05:17 PM
Magic is half dutch warmblood and is quite laid back,especially towards anything new. She is crossed with an Irish tb so is dim but scatty. Lol

Zeitgeist Mom
15th January 2011, 05:32 PM
*sigh* One day.... :lol:

gem
15th January 2011, 05:40 PM
Pfft you don't want a warmblood! You want an appaloosa!! They're so dainty...
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h148/biteme86/Saffy/2009/Homecoming/DSCN2616.jpg

Soar with the greatest of ease...
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h148/biteme86/Saffy/Jumping/DSCN3220.jpg

Not to mention their beautiful figures....
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h148/biteme86/Saffy/2009/04112009252-1.jpg

Decision made? I think so :D

vels mum
15th January 2011, 05:42 PM
My friend has one 17h black :love: she is gorgeous, lovely temperament but strong willed and quite tricky to ride, my friend always has to lunge her before getting on.

rowy
15th January 2011, 06:20 PM
My old boss at sj yard had about 7 being worked and another 3 youngsters in the field. They were lovely and cheeky and had such personalities! My favourites were a 18hh 5 year old called yogi bear! he loved snuffling you and loved attention! However they were in all winter being fed loads and hayledge so leading him to the inddor to be free lunged was fun. Having him tower over you!! This mare called bubbles was a right pain she was about 17hh and I had to lead her out to field in spring and lets just say it wasnt fun.
I got to ride one of them and he was lovely! she had him really well trained.
However, practically all of them had bad feet confo, turned in or flat.

CityLights
15th January 2011, 07:31 PM
However, practically all of them had bad feet confo, turned in or flat.
thats likely poor farrier work rther than the horses themselves, the dutch are very hot on hoof conofrmation on the horses they grade in, which to be branded they have to of been graded with an average score of seven to be branded, where as the german and french dont worry about it so much so generally a dutch warmblood has much better feet conformation than the german horses

Zeitgeist Mom
15th January 2011, 09:07 PM
:pmsl: at Gem

The two that I have been looking after seem to be surprisingly hardy. They were in when the snow was at its worst, but otherwise are just in overnight with hay in the stables, grazing during the day. Even the 22 year old seems to have maintained condition fine. They have had their shoes taken off so they can be turned out on the snow, and don't seem to be having any difficulty. And the 3 year old filly is way quieter than my pony Misty, even when she was being kept in during the snow.

Teej
15th January 2011, 09:14 PM
Pfft you don't want a warmblood! You want an appaloosa!! They're so dainty...

Soar with the greatest of ease...

Not to mention their beautiful figures....

Decision made? I think so :D

:lol: How cute - love those pics and captions ! :D

Susan
17th January 2011, 12:24 AM
Mojo is DWBxTB. He is a big personality. I think Wagtail hits the nail on the head - he's actually a really smart cookie but isn't always so hot on common sense! I find him to be very sensitive to his handler's mood. He's not overly affectionate or keen on hugs but he is very 'licky' and if you let him will just slobber over your hand for as long as you have the patience to allow it. He is lovely to ride, forward, sensitive and well schooled, generally very forgiving, but he is also into psychological warfare, lol, and is a horse with a lot of tricks up his sleeve. He has never really done anything to knock my confidence, but I have sometimes watched him at shows or away at lessons with his owner and have thought I didn't fancy getting on him at all! He is a talented horse and a real allrounder, he hasn't been out much for the last couple of years due to a variety of factors, but he can show, jump and dressage to a pretty decent standard. He's a bit of a dream horse really!

Here he is with our very own Rabbit on board. :P
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/susan_p/SS103435.jpg