PDA

View Full Version : Trec - Immobility question

Burnie
12th January 2011, 09:03 PM
For everyone who's taken part in Trec, how did you teach your horse immobility? And am I allowed to give Tilly verbal commands to "Stand?"

easyrider
12th January 2011, 11:32 PM
to teach immobilty i used to constantly leave him in the menage or field, put the reains round the stirups, tell him to stand and walk away from him, sometimes it works sometimes not but he always gets a 10 now. once you are out in the inner circle you have 10 seconds to secure him and get out if the outer circle, you can use voice aids but no hand signals...you are aiming for this
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k167/easyrider_04/stratford%20trec%20sept%202010/JulesSept10Adissnaps058.jpg

i have loads of photos so just ask, its nice to share them..i love looking at my boys hes so good

Burnie
12th January 2011, 11:38 PM
Great stuff! Thank you :)

We lunged tonight then had a little play in the school after, but I was using my hand with my palm upright and telling her to stand and backing away. I didn't realise I wouldn't be able to use hand signals. I guess all will be clear when my rulebook arrives but in the meantime I'm really enjoying learning more about Trec, thanks for your replies and piccies so far :D

Catg
12th January 2011, 11:48 PM
Sorry Burnie I don't have a clue, sounds really fun though! Let's us know how you get on with your training.

Easyrider your boy is beautiful. I love that colour blue on him x

Burnie
12th January 2011, 11:56 PM
So far we make a fabulous dog-leg when we rein back and she follows me like a little lost sheep when she's meant to be 'immobilised' :lol:

But it's early days yet and it's giving me a laugh if nothing else :lol:

Grey Haven
13th January 2011, 08:52 AM
There are some good tips for "ground tying" which is similar, although you obviously can't leave your reins trailing on the internet. I think Kellie Marks does one too! I've love to teach Echo this. I suppose I should start early!

Easyrider your horse is GORGEOUS! Please keep posting about him and Le Trec! I think it's a great sport and I'm really keen to try Echo in a few years time!

easyrider
13th January 2011, 11:35 AM
thank you, yes he is but i am biased!! teaching your horse to stand when you are dismounted is very useful, if you were to fall off its handy of your horse will stop...not bog off like mine does lol. Burnie use you palm outstretched while you walk backwards from him, once you are outside the circles you can only use voice, use the same command at all times, i use STAND and use my voice firmly, if he looks likes hes about to use i go STAND firmly. most horses get the idea, you must secure your reins around your run up stirrups or you will loose marks, if your riding western you can use the ground tying method but i expect you will be english riding. once he gets the hang you will only need voice...the inner cirlce is small so make sure all 4 legs are inside, dont walk away, back away using you voice all the time, you are allowed to use your voice the whole 10 seconds

not many horses do the rein back...i used to trash it but last year scored 3 perfect 10's, often thats won us the competition...keep praticing, if nothing else its excellent training, trec is all about disciplin, balance and the bond of horse and rider as on full outdoor trecs it can be a challenge esp if your on a windy hill and theres horses going in all directions...love it

heres one of me backing away saying stand hes taking not a blind bit of notice!! hes knows it all doens't he, does not need me telling him lol
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k167/easyrider_04/stratford%20trec%20sept%202010/JulesSept10Adissnaps056.jpg

daytona
13th January 2011, 12:09 PM
I've been really enjoying these updates. Its really something had I a horse that I would love to have a go at. It seems and looks like so muh fun.
Easyrider ditto whats been said about your lad he truly is superb.

Claire can't wait to come see you in action, if you need, or if I can be of any help inbetween now and march and I can get over let me know. :D

easyrider
13th January 2011, 12:13 PM
theres going to be a trec camp up in the north west, its in the pipeline. will let you know when and where it comes up, could be fun if your up that way

daytona, thanks, he was a devil when i had him, but that sharpness has led to a grreat little trec pony

Burnie
13th January 2011, 12:23 PM
Brilliant, thank you!

I have to agree he's absolutely stunning. Will have to keep thinking up more questions so we can all look at pics ;) :)

The Trec group who are organising this event are having a training weekend 29 Apr - 2 May 2011 in North Yorkshire :evilgrin:

Jane - you do realised you've just volunteered yourself for pole-moving duties and chasing after the "immobilised" Tilly when she's bezzed off!? :lol:

easyrider
13th January 2011, 12:27 PM
lol i didn't know dates were finalised....if you can go to do you will love it

yes ask away all those photos on photobucket need to be used lol...its a succees story for me, silly horse turned good....need to go off and clip him now..hhhmmmmm not an easy mission...keep us informed, good to have some more treccies

daytona
13th January 2011, 03:13 PM
The Trec group who are organising this event are having a training weekend 29 Apr - 2 May 2011 in North Yorkshire :evilgrin:

Jane - you do realised you've just volunteered yourself for pole-moving duties and chasing after the "immobilised" Tilly when she's bezzed off!? :lol:

*cough cough* you do realise you have to be somewhere else on the 29th April :cheekywink: :D

LOL it'll keep me fit chasing her and stop me stressing :D

Burnie
13th January 2011, 03:19 PM
*cough cough* you do realise you have to be somewhere else on the 29th April :cheekywink: :D

Hell's teeth I forgot!

I'll be sat in front of the telly watching William and whatserface tie the knot! :p :pmsl:

Grey Haven
14th January 2011, 07:39 PM

I was just thinking exactly the same thing about Echo.........I can imagine myself still shouting "STAND!" when he's three fields away with stirrups and reins flying!

Easyrider there will be LOTS of hand gestures if that happens!!!:rofl:

Sidesaddlelady
15th January 2011, 06:22 AM
For everyone who's taken part in Trec, how did you teach your horse immobility? And am I allowed to give Tilly verbal commands to "Stand?"

I don't do trek but I have taught my horse to "Stay" much to the hilarity of others on the yard who said "He's a horse not a dog". It's been very useful. not least when my riding companion fell off and I didn't have enough hands to hold my horse, her horse, see to her and direct traffic all at the same time. Bless him he stood there like a parade horse without moving a muscle!

Start off on a lead rein. Stand in front of her face on. Tell her to "stay" and wait a few seconds then praise her. If she moves say "No" firmly but quietly (she's not being naughty so don't sound cross). Repeat several times until she gets the idea then gradually lengthen the time she has to "stayT. When she's got the hang of this and gets it right every time progress to giving the stay command but stepping back. Repeat the praise and give her a pat. Repeat, gradually increasing the number of steps away. When she has got the hang of it you can loop the lead rein over her neck and repeat the afore-going procedure. Don't forget - when she gets it right lavish praise on her and give treats as rewards. My horse picked up the principle of this in 3 or 4 sessions but took a bit longer to do it every time. Give her plenty of practice but remember that hers concentration span is not huge - 10 minutes at a time is ample and five is better when you are first starting out

"Stay" is better than "Stand" in this context, because to the horse, if she has had normal training when she ws backed and schooled in the basics, "Stand" really means "stop what you are doing" whereas she needs to learn that "stay" means "stay where you are".

The people who laughed at us when I was first teaching the WH take it quite seriously now when they see that I can give him the stay command and walk away out of his sight for up to 5 minutes at a time in a busy yard and he will stand perfectly still and wait for me.

Burnie
15th January 2011, 01:43 PM
Thank you for the reply, Sidesaddlelady! :)

easyrider
15th January 2011, 02:02 PM
whatever word or gestures you use if up to you but repetition and consistency is the key.....its all good training and working from the floor does help you bond with your horse better IMO
using floor work is great if you cant ride for whatever reason and leading across and under and through stuff is all good training for when your out on the roads, building up a trust with your horse for when you meet the unexpected