PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful When Buying From Horse Dealers

equestrian92
8th October 2009, 11:39 AM
Be careful buying from dealers. I purchased an ISH who was warrented safe for nervous novice rides. Got him home, he wouldnt hack with or without company, he spun, jumped up and down and refused to walk. I then looked on internet and found out he was AN EX RACER! The dealer lied. They would not refund me and told me to basically deal with it and sell him on. When they realised I was being deadly serious about taking them to court they refunded MOST of my money back, not all. It seems the horses they import from IRE are in fact ex racers. I think I was lucky to get my money back other people may not so be careful when dealing with dealers and research any horses offered on the internet before you buy.

My Crazy Clan
8th October 2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks for letting use know.

Loony
8th October 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the info!

Teej
8th October 2009, 10:16 PM
So did they take the horse back or was he left to you to deal with?

Funnily enough, the ex racers at my yard (including my own) are far better behaved than the ISHs ! :)

mandy5775
9th October 2009, 05:19 PM
How awful for you. I had a similar experience with a horse that I bought through a private sale. As you purchased your horse from a dealer, you were actually entitled to all of your money back, as the horse was not sold as described. I don't know how these bogus dealers can sleep at night.

Pirouette
10th October 2009, 01:00 PM
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but not all dealers are crooks. There are some good dealers out there, but it is worth asking around to find out the reputation of any dealer before setting foot in their yards.

gem
10th October 2009, 02:45 PM
I bet a lot of people remeber my palava with William. It was well documented on the old forum! Luckily I found him a good home so it had a happy ending. I then got Saffy from another dealer and she's better than I thought she'd be so they're definitely not all bad but the bad ones are awful.

Gone Hunting
19th November 2009, 10:18 PM
I personally think ISH's are great and that buying them from Ireland is a great thing to do as long as its a reliable and known and you organise the transport yourself with a reliable transport firm

helena
20th November 2009, 07:17 AM
I'd rather buy from a known reputable dealer than a private sale, but I would never use an unknown dealer as I've heard loads of horror stories. But at least with a dealer you've got some comeback.
Buying ISH can be a dangerous game, there's a gypsy 2 fields away from me who imports all sorts from Ireland and forges passports to say they are ISH, as it's not a proper breed so to speak it is impossible to prove.

Gone Hunting
20th November 2009, 12:31 PM
Yes, I agree, they are very hard to prove! I have got mine through friends of the family and so have not got the worry of dealers forging documents. Its so hard these days to buy a horse without having to worry if its breeding is correct which is a real shame as may put many people off buying the wonderful horses that are ISH's. :(

chescar
20th November 2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the warning - there are some good ones out there though

Dilbydoos
25th November 2009, 08:30 PM
I second this on Beware Horse Dealers... My Mum was sold a horse that was and looked well only to find out a week after it arrived it had strangles.. and was in fact alot older than they were told, although doesnt look it!!