PDA

View Full Version : Quick replies appreciated :) UPDATE PG 3

Tiaki
8th February 2011, 02:05 PM
I am looking for a sharer for my little man Dylan :)

Now, the girl I have who comes in to ride him for me is going to get first refusal so will speak to them tonight when I see them.

Basically, all I want is someone to come and ride Dylan, as often as they like. If they want to ride everyday they can. There is no stable work involved. He will remain at current yard and I will continue with all the care side of things. No mucking out involved, I will do this myself I will feed and turn out etc etc. It is literally a case of come and ride, the more often the better. If they want to compete and take him out and about they are more than welcome to. The ONLY things I am dead set about is that he is not being shod, he will remain bitless and I will not tollerate any kind of rough handling/riding or use of whips. He is an animal, a very special boy to me, not a machine so he is not to be charging around the countryside coming back white with sweat everytime he is ridden.

Dylan will be 5yrs old in but as Bimba will vouch for he is perfectly safe, well mannered, just a sweet chap very keen and willing to please who loves work and attention. He is very mature for his age and I have no worries at all about sensible riders taking him off out on their own. They can ride with me on Sundays if they wish.

All I am asking for money wise is 20 per week. Does this sound fair?

As I said they can ride everyday if they wish. We have miles and miles of off road hacking and through the summer the schooling/jumping paddock will be back in action. With me being an instructor they will get help/lessons if required free of charge. If they do take him off to a show or something, that will be totally up to them to cover costs of transport and entry fees etc.

Does this sound like a good offer???

xxx

CityLights
8th February 2011, 02:10 PM
you could maybe nick a kid off the riding school where you teach im sure a parent would love for thier kid to be able to ride a bit more often and probably much cheaper than they would do at the riding school

Catg
8th February 2011, 02:15 PM
That sounds extremely fair to me Sam.

I pay 20 per week just to ride Zeb but I also pay for shoes, wormers, half toward dentist, lessons and competitions and I've never heard of a better deal before now.

Cat x

Burnie
8th February 2011, 02:17 PM
It sounds like a fab opportunity for someone! I used to pay 20 per week when I part loaned Tillster and I rode 3-4 days per week. Only thing is I liked doing the stable chores too and the care side of it, I didn't want to just turn up and ride.

Catg
8th February 2011, 02:21 PM
It sounds like a fab opportunity for someone! I used to pay 20 per week when I part loaned Tillster and I rode 3-4 days per week. Only thing is I liked doing the stable chores too and the care side of it, I didn't want to just turn up and ride.

I'd agree with this, I'm the same with Zeb but I do think a child sharing is slightly different in the sense that they will need someone there to supervise and the parent might not want to spend umpteen hours a week at the stables and I'm sure Sam doesn't want to end up having to watch out for the sharer. So I do think the offer of the sharer not having to do stable chores will be attractive to the parent, at least in the beginning. :D

Tiaki
8th February 2011, 02:21 PM
S&W - The girl who gets first refusal is a girl I teach at work, that's how I know her :lol: but shhhh :lol:

Burnie - They can do yard duties if they like, I'm not going to say no. Come March/April he will be back to living out 24/7 so not much to do then anyway.

Do you think I am being a bit too nice :lol: Maybe up it to 25 per week???

xxx

Catg
8th February 2011, 02:24 PM
Do you think I am being a bit too nice :lol: Maybe up it to 25 per week???

I think the bitless riding maybe a potential issue so the offer of lessons is great but be careful you don't end up teaching them all the time and losing time and money on it. I know little Dylan will only benefit from it but yes I still think 25 a week with free lessons is very good. Perhaps stipulate that you'll throw in a 45 min lesson once a week or something so it's clear what they can expect from you.

Tiaki
8th February 2011, 02:32 PM
The lack of stable chores in the offer does boil down to the fact it's going to be a young girl, relying on parents to taxi her about. Also the fact that Dylan shares a stable with Flump. I wouldn't want a young girl in trying to keep flump out the way whilst messing about with Dylan. Flump is a hefty lump so small girl in stable with Dylan and the tank is asking for problems :lol:
It would definitely only be one lesson per week thrown in for 45mins, more so through the summer than now. Dylan needs getting a bit fitter to start with so for now and whilst the rider gets to know him, hacking is ideal.

It is a totally laid back deal. They don't have to come everyday and ride him, they don't need to tell me set days or anything, I am totally flexible on that part. I will keep his tack at the yard so it is there if they want it.

Another big no no is bringing their mates to the yard to ride him. I don't want any old tom dick or harry on him plus it is a small yard right by the owners house so screaming children isn't a good plan :lol:

Hopefully the girl who rides Dylan at the moment will take up the offer. She is suited to him perfectly. She is a bit tall, but light as a feather and experienced enough to bring him on a bit and have loads of fun :) If only Dylan was 14.2hh, he would be such a cool dude for me then :lol:

xxx

Twizzel
8th February 2011, 02:52 PM
25/wk for a small pony seems a bit excessive to me, I think 20 is better. At the end of the day you could probably keep a small pony like Dylan on little more than 25/wk especially if he's not shod and they would have full ownership not just being a sharer... so they are not only doing you a favour by riding him but also paying pretty much all his bills. Normally people put a horse up for share due to one of 2 reasons- not enough time or not enough money, so I think 20 is fairer.

fell lover
8th February 2011, 02:54 PM
I think it is a very good deal!!

Loosey
8th February 2011, 02:59 PM
Sounds fair. My sharer in the summer paid 15 per week for 3 days. Rather than stable duties (my fault because I'm so terribly anal about mucking out and paranoid about them deeding thw wrong things) I just got them to poo pick/clean tack and do any other odd jobs which seemed to work well :)

funkyboots
8th February 2011, 02:59 PM
if i was offered that when i was uh little?? haha i'd have jumped at it! riding without chores....i'm gonna try merry in a bitles parelli first..shoeless may be a issue with her delicate tootsies!

Catg
8th February 2011, 03:27 PM
25/wk for a small pony seems a bit excessive to me, I think 20 is better. At the end of the day you could probably keep a small pony like Dylan on little more than 25/wk especially if he's not shod and they would have full ownership not just being a sharer... so they are not only doing you a favour by riding him but also paying pretty much all his bills. Normally people put a horse up for share due to one of 2 reasons- not enough time or not enough money, so I think 20 is fairer.

Remember they are getting free lessons as part of it. Sam, what do they pay for a lesson now? I would assume she wouldn't go there anymore if she was paying to share Dylan and still getting lessons with you? Surely they would be getting more for their money than they are now?

On another note, Twizzel your point about people sharing for two reasons; either lack of money or time caught my eye because that's what I always thought? Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I am genuinely confused. :o There seems to be a lot of people on here and on the net elsewhere (I'm not having a dig I just need this explaining to me!) who have their horses on DIY and are asking the sharer to pay 20-30 per week and do chores? I thought you either pay a higher amount for a horse on full livery or very little for a horse on DIY but spend more time on DIY chores. Is this not the norm?

Sam big apologies for hijacking your post! :o

Susan
8th February 2011, 03:49 PM
I think 20 is fair, its a lovely deal for a child and a parent thinking of buying their own pony may well like to do this first to make sure that the child really does want a pony and not just the 'idea' of a pony.

Cat, I think that the main reasons are either lack of time or lack of money, but then sometimes its a mixture of both, sometimes its something else entirely - ill health, pony grown out of, etc. From what I have witnessed people still pay in the region of 20-25 a week when the horse is on DIY. I think that I have the best set up imaginable, and I think it is similar to Twizzel's, I don't officially 'loan', I don't have to make any financial contribution and can ride as much as I want, when I want, horse is full livery through the week and if I want to I am allowed to take him to shows/have lessons. Obv final say and all decisions are made by his owner, but she is so nice and has been brilliant to me.

I have found that once you have a foot in the door of the horse world it is relatively easy to get riding for free and that doesn't mean that paid for shares are not good and fair deals, it can just mean that reliable, honest, competent sharers sometimes come to realise their own value and can afford to be picky about what kind of set up they go for.

Twizzel
8th February 2011, 05:34 PM
^^^ what Susan said ;)

gem
8th February 2011, 06:07 PM
My aunty had similar thoughts Cat! I couldn't believe it when she said she paid someone to come look after her horse and ride a couple of days a week. All the time before I got Saf I was paying out to do someone else's jobs! But then, I usually ended up with crappy owners :lol:

flambards
8th February 2011, 06:13 PM
Heck, if you're throwing lessons in the deal, 25/week is incredibly reasonable. I think if you had to advertise I'd go at 25/week, but if the current rider wants it I'd keep it at 20, just for the convenience and peace of mind of not having to advertise and already knowing the rider is kind and safe.

Tiaki
8th February 2011, 09:23 PM
Remember they are getting free lessons as part of it. Sam, what do they pay for a lesson now? I would assume she wouldn't go there anymore if she was paying to share Dylan and still getting lessons with you? Surely they would be getting more for their money than they are now?

This girl pays 16 for an hour lesson which she has once a week. This is an hour group lesson. I am offering (with part of sharing Dylan) a 45min private lesson. If this girl booked a 45min private at the riding school, it would cost her 24, so yes sharing Dylan will give her much more for her money as on top of a weekly lesson, there is nothing stopping her from riding him everyday.

Heck, if you're throwing lessons in the deal, 25/week is incredibly reasonable. I think if you had to advertise I'd go at 25/week, but if the current rider wants it I'd keep it at 20, just for the convenience and peace of mind of not having to advertise and already knowing the rider is kind and safe.

This is exactly what I thought :)

I have spoken to them and told them it would be 20 per week, including a 45min lesson. Both the girl and mum are all for it, they just want to speak to Dad and make sure he is ok with it. D the girls mum said she would hang fire until the weekend when he is off work, get a couple of glasses of wine down him to butter him up and then talk to him about it :lol:
Fingers crossed they will be all for it.

Whether the girl continues with her lessons or not I don't know and that is entirely up to them.

I should know for definite either way by start of next week so until I know, I will hang fire on advertising.

xxx

BEX101
8th February 2011, 09:41 PM
sounds like she's got a good deal.

Catg
8th February 2011, 10:20 PM
Fingers crossed Dad says yes then! Sounds like mum knows what she's doing :cheekywink:

bimba
8th February 2011, 10:26 PM
I think 20 a week is fair because there aren't any real limitations on the number of days they can have him or anything like that, you're covering your costs and he'll be getting worked so that's the main thing really!

CautionToTheWind
8th February 2011, 10:51 PM
I think its an amazing deal, and exactly what many people want. I remember a year or so ago when I was horseless and I said to my mum "all I want is a horse to ride for less money than a riding lesson" and thats exactly what you're giving them and a lesson included!

I think 20-25 is more than reasonable, especially as you are an instructor yourself. However I agree with Cat that doing the stable jobs is part of the fun, but for a younger person they could be a chore so I think you're right in saying you'll do them yourself.

Good luck! I hope this girl and her mother get back to you with good news!

Tiaki
9th February 2011, 12:37 PM
UPDATE

Good news :D
I had a text off of D (mum of the girl who has been riding Dylan and the girl I gave first refusal to on the share) saying yes, they would love to share Dylan and are really excited by it.

Oooh I am so excited but so much to do!!! Lots of questions to ask you wise lot, will start another thread for that :D

xxx

Catg
9th February 2011, 12:54 PM
Yay! :dance::clapping:

Loz
9th February 2011, 03:44 PM
That's great news, I hope they have lots of fun together.

Burnie
9th February 2011, 10:36 PM
the girls mum said she would hang fire until the weekend when he is off work, get a couple of glasses of wine down him to butter him up and then talk to him about it :lol:

:pmsl: I like their style! I'm so glad she can have him, especially as you already know she does a great job and you can trust her with Dylan :D

bimba
9th February 2011, 10:45 PM
Yay, that's fab news for you and Dylan - although I hope he doesn't have too busy a schedule to fit his auntie Bimba in for a little ride every now and again!

Tiaki
10th February 2011, 07:56 AM
Burnie - Yes I am thrilled they have agreed. The girl is perfect for Dylan. She is a very quiet rider but has the experience to bring him on a bit. She isn't by any means going to kick and pull him about, she is a nice little rider. She is a tad tall on Dylan but there really is nothing to her build/weight wise at all.

Bimba - You are welcome to come ride the little man :) Even if Dylan is fully booked we can find someone else for you to ride. I'm sure Vicky would be happy for you to take her TB out with me if nothing else was available.

xxx

amandaxx1
10th February 2011, 11:56 AM
Thats brill! x

funkyboots
10th February 2011, 05:18 PM
UPDATE

Good news :D
I had a text off of D (mum of the girl who has been riding Dylan and the girl I gave first refusal to on the share) saying yes, they would love to share Dylan and are really excited by it.

Oooh I am so excited but so much to do!!! Lots of questions to ask you wise lot, will start another thread for that :D

xxx

skipped daddy or just said...your saving money..,they like that bit!!!