PDA

View Full Version : My friends ex-racer update

Loz
15th February 2011, 10:55 AM
A couple of weeks ago I did a thread about my very nervous friend getting an ex-racer on loan.

Thought I'd give you a little update if you're interested.

So she's had him just over two weeks and in that time done hardly anything with him work wise. He's really underweight and needs to muscle up massively (he makes Rou look like a proper show conditioned horse).

The saddler has been out and he's been clipped (she wanted a full clip but my friend who clipped him said she didn't think it would be fair as he's so underweight) so he just had half his neck off and half his belly, I'm not sure what you'd call it as it's one my friend 'made' for her own horse.

Anyway, so he was good as gold to clip and good as gold for the saddler.On his first hack we just took him round the block (me on Rouchops as a nanny, her favorite job...not) and my friend on her horse. They were both really well behaved (it was in the gale force wind the other weekend). Anyway we stopped outside my house to see my fiance and her horse started getting impatient and turning round and trying to walk off really wasn't anything naughty. Que (sp) her dismounting and saying she wanted to go home. I didn't want to push her so we just went home. She's not ridden out since, she's ridden him in the school and he was ok, bit dodgy going into canter but I think that's due to no muscle and lack of fitness. He doesn't work well on the left side at all, not sure if that has anything to do with the fact that he broke that front leg when he was younger.

She seems fine-ish when handling on the ground, she tends to let him do what he wants though which isn't ideal.

Anyway she's asked if I'll hack with her again at the weekend as she wants to gallop him :scared: so we'll see how that goes. That's if anywhere drys out enough to actually do anything faster than a trot. I don't like her attitude towards the fact that he's a loan horse. I said I wouldn't be doing anything fast through boggy ground as Rou is a TB also and I don't want mashed tendons, ripped off shoes etc etc and she was like 'ah well mines on loan so I can just give him back' I don't know if she was joking or not!!

Anyway there's a little update. So nothing bad and he seems like a very nice chap, but he is seriously underweight and under-conditioned so whether he'll change when he's muscled up and conditioned time will only tell.

erica
16th February 2011, 11:05 PM
Very frustrating for you.

I could never put my horses out on loan, not unless I knew the person and even then, they wouldnt come off the yard Im on.

The question is, will you be able to bite your tongue.....Good luck. I wouldnt want to be in your shoes right now.

:)

angie
17th February 2011, 10:51 AM
hmmm i don't really know what to make of it, he sounds like a nice enough chap tho. he might alter a bit when he gets some more weight and muscle on him. at least she's riding him i guess tho. keep us posted and let us know how the gallop goes! x

Loz
17th February 2011, 11:15 AM
Erica - for now I'm biting my tongue and just being nice about things, I'm sure it'll come to a point when I have to be brutally honest with her though and I'm not looking forward to that day! I'd never ever put Rou out on loan unless it was to my very good friend Tanya, she is literally the only person I trust with Roulette.

Angie - Yeah he is a nice lad, I just hope she can appreciate this!!