PDA

View Full Version : My friends ex-racer update

Loz
15th February 2011, 10:58 AM
A couple of weeks ago I did a thread about my very nervous friend getting an ex-racer on loan.

Thought I'd give you a little update if you're interested.

So she's had him just over two weeks and in that time done hardly anything with him work wise. He's really underweight and needs to muscle up massively (he makes Rou look like a proper show conditioned horse).

The saddler has been out and he's been clipped (she wanted a full clip but my friend who clipped him said she didn't think it would be fair as he's so underweight) so he just had half his neck off and half his belly, I'm not sure what you'd call it as it's one my friend 'made' for her own horse.

Anyway, so he was good as gold to clip and good as gold for the saddler.On his first hack we just took him round the block (me on Rouchops as a nanny, her favorite job...not) and my friend on her horse. They were both really well behaved (it was in the gale force wind the other weekend). Anyway we stopped outside my house to see my fiance and her horse started getting impatient and turning round and trying to walk off really wasn't anything naughty. Que (sp) her dismounting and saying she wanted to go home. I didn't want to push her so we just went home. She's not ridden out since, she's ridden him in the school and he was ok, bit dodgy going into canter but I think that's due to no muscle and lack of fitness. He doesn't work well on the left side at all, not sure if that has anything to do with the fact that he broke that front leg when he was younger and whether that'll get better when he's got some muscle.

He's great to handle on the ground, although does like the mares rather a lot!!

Anyway she's asked if I'll hack with her again at the weekend as she wants to gallop him :scared: so we'll see how that goes. That's if anywhere dries out enough to actually do anything faster than a trot.

I don't like her attitude towards the fact that he's a loan horse. I said I wouldn't be doing anything fast through boggy ground as Rou is a TB also and I don't want mashed tendons, ripped off shoes etc etc and she was like 'ah well mines on loan so I can just give him back' I don't know if she was joking or not!!

Anyway there's a little update. So nothing bad and he seems like a very nice chap, but he is seriously underweight and under-conditioned so whether he'll change when he's muscled up and conditioned time will only tell.

Loz
15th February 2011, 10:59 AM
Ah, don't know why this has posted twice, can I delete one of them?

Teej
15th February 2011, 06:51 PM
Hmmmm...... I don't like her attitude either!! Poor horse is all I can say :(

annmarie
15th February 2011, 07:25 PM
ohh poor horse with a loaner with an attitude like that....she is happy in her ignorance hope karma doesn't pay her back. hope he stays nice when in condition and fit sounds lovely x

p.s i wanted to get of Thomas sometimes, my hacking buddies never let me and it gives me such a sense of achievement all day although getting braver all the time . so maybe give her a speaking to tell her stay on it worked for me .

Burnie
15th February 2011, 11:50 PM
:frown: I know she's your friend but I have to agree I don't like her attitude either. It sounds to me like she just fancies the idea of herself on a flashy ex-racer, regardless of whether the horse is suitable for her abilities or not. Why clip him just for cosmetic reasons when it could be to the detriment of the horse's health!?

Also the thing about the previous broken leg injury really concerns me. Not only because she doesn't seem concerned about pushing him but also because he's probably got a lot of underlying issues from the injury especially with you saying he's so one-sided.

When Tilly had her keratoma removed, her hoof was obviously painful and she had been holding herself so as not to put weight on it. This led to lots of other problems that I'd never even considered, issues with her back and muscular tightness down one side. This horse might have a lot going on to fully recover from such a huge injury :(

Loz
16th February 2011, 11:08 AM
Glad you don't all think I'm being harsh when I said about not liking her attitude! She kept hinting at me to let her ride Rou but I would never say yes she's too fragile a horse for someone like that to get on board and knock her confidence. When we go out at the weekend I won't be cantering Rou at all, the ground round here is ridiculous at the minute as we've had so much rain, she didn't want to walk through her gateway out of the field yesterday evening so I had to take her through the other gate which isn't as boggy! Pansey of a horse she is and wimp of an owner I am! (Rather take her through a different gate and keep all shoes intact!)

I really do think she just fancies the idea of having a big horse so she looks good.

The clipping concerned me and my other friend too, my clipper friend didn't want to do it but my other friend would have just got someone else out to do it.

Yeah I don't think she's thought about all the other aspects of his health that could have been affected by him breaking a leg.

He was out a loan before he came to her but suddenly the other loaner took him back to his owner and she re-advertised him, so not sure if something went on there or not.

Annmarie - maybe I'll tell her to stay on next time, see if that works or not.

Thanks for your comments and advice

Loosey
16th February 2011, 11:43 AM
Agree about her attitude and also a bit concerned that she's wanting to go out tearing across the countryside when he's obviously so fit and underweight :(

Gix
16th February 2011, 12:07 PM
I really do think she just fancies the idea of having a big horse so she looks good.

I think that was the attitude of Gandalfs loaner tbh, trouble is that when they decide they have bitten off more than they can chew, or are too lazy to look after horse properly and decide its too much like hard work, its someone else that ends up picking up the pieces.
I hope things settle down and maybe if she manages to bond with him she will behave more responsibly and starts to think about the consequence of running a previously injured gelding into the ground.

Loz
16th February 2011, 02:55 PM
I think that was the attitude of Gandalfs loaner tbh, trouble is that when they decide they have bitten off more than they can chew, or are too lazy to look after horse properly and decide its too much like hard work, its someone else that ends up picking up the pieces.
I hope things settle down and maybe if she manages to bond with him she will behave more responsibly and starts to think about the consequence of running a previously injured gelding into the ground.

So true, it will be someone else left picking up the pieces, the same thing that happened when she rode my friends youngster!

I hope she does wise up to the fact that he's underweight and in poor condition and should not be ragged round the countryside!!

Bright Sparkx
16th February 2011, 06:59 PM
Awh he sounds like a lovely horse, who needs a bit of rest and tlc and being slowly brought back into work. But i have to agree with you and the others i really hope she wises up a bit to the fact hes underweight and she cant just take him galloping because hes not hers and can give him back thats very selfish of her on the horse specially if she is nervous that could really end in disaster! i cant imagine how awkward you must feel being her friend and trying to help the situation! really hope all goes well.

Loz
16th February 2011, 08:00 PM
You're right Sparkx, he really is a lovely horse and does need some TLC etc etc. If he was given time to put on weight and was brought back in to work slowly I think he'd make a fantastic hacking horse and then once he is fit and conditioned I'd slowly introduce schooling with him, once he's toned up out hacking. Maybe do a couple of gentle schooling sessions during the hacking period, nothing like she's doing with him now. She wants me to go round and put jumps up for her on sunday as well...I'm trying so hard to come up with a decent way to explain he's really not fit enough to be jumping without hurting her feelings. It really is awkward. Thank you, I hope it goes well too for the horses sake as well as her own!

Callygal
16th February 2011, 09:44 PM
Get her told straight, sometimes (brutal) honesty is the best way instead of skirting around the subject trying to get a message across that comes out wrong.

Loz
17th February 2011, 11:17 AM
She's not just a friend though, she's my finaces brothers girlfriend!! I don't want to cause a rift in the family, I have enough problems with my own family let alone having issues with my finaces family. My MIL to be isn't happy about the situation and said she's going to say something so hopefully that'll help!

Burnie
17th February 2011, 12:47 PM
Ouch, a doubly-tricky situation then :miffed::rolleyes:

Loz
17th February 2011, 12:56 PM
Yep so you can only imagine how I'm feeling about it all! Why is life never simple?!