PDA

View Full Version : sad day at the yard :(

Bay Chaos
22nd March 2011, 08:56 PM
My friend had to have two of her old mares put to sleep this morning. :(

Hollie, is one of her foundation mares, and was owned by her for over twenty years. she is Dina's baby's great gran. She had struggled through the winter, and came out of it really poor and not herself, so the decision was made.

Then, I had the shocking news that the beautiful Frisck was put to sleep as well. Frisck was a 21 year old mare bred by my friend and has spent much of her life as a field ornament as she was a terrible mum and didn't like being ridden! she had a really nasty abcess on her face. I know most of us here would have thrown money at the horse to treat this, but I won't judge my friend. None of her horses are insured and she doesn't have money to throw at horses that aren't doing anything, and it would have cost a lot. She was a lovely mare though. so so beautiful with the nicest mane on the yard.

so run free two beautiful arabian mares :(

BEX101
22nd March 2011, 08:58 PM
Hopefully they are in a good place now. x

Catg
22nd March 2011, 10:26 PM
How awful your poor friend. RIP to both of them x

Jill
22nd March 2011, 10:49 PM
Gosh, how awful. Sometimes you just have to make that hard decision and we can't all afford to keep a horse just as a pet, or to keep paying for treatment for it, ad we can't afford to be sentimental. Two in a day though. How terrible.

Bay Chaos
22nd March 2011, 11:07 PM
Gosh, how awful. Sometimes you just have to make that hard decision and we can't all afford to keep a horse just as a pet, or to keep paying for treatment for it, ad we can't afford to be sentimental. Two in a day though. How terrible.

She has 17 other horses to think about too, so I guess sometimes hard decisions have to be made. :( She's lucky to have her own land, so they can just be turned away, and her old broodmares do get to live a long retirement, but sadly these two mares had to go :( :(

Will miss seeing them.

daytona
23rd March 2011, 08:16 AM
So distressing to lose 2 in a day.
RIP xxxxx

My Crazy Clan
23rd March 2011, 08:06 PM
RIP xx xx xx

BHNRS
26th March 2011, 11:25 AM
How awful for your friend :( RIP x

Loumoo74
1st April 2011, 12:37 PM
Aww I missed this Sarah. How sad. I didn't realise she had so many or that they were not insured :( Sad times.