PDA

View Full Version : How much for and could I ride

CityLights
13th October 2009, 04:26 PM
Im wanting a project type pony for when Kizzie goes to stud to foal, its going to be primarily a companion but i would like something i could do a little bit with school on and maybe make a bit of money on,

we have this little three year old at work, its a right little ****** and my boss siad i could have it quite cheaply, there doesnt seem to be much around at the moment in my price range that i would have a crack at, im pretty fussy,

he has sweet itch but im sure it could be managed, he is quite shy but also a little **** but its not his fualt his mum is basically a wild pony, although getting better, and we dont have time to do much with the youngstock, i think i could sort him out quite well btu im not sure how much i would be willing to pay for him, he has as far as i know unknown breeding but im not sure i know he isnt by any of our stallions and his mum is an old gypsy/slaughter pony, and came to us three years ago with this boy on as a rescue

going to show him my mum to see if she likes him and maybe offer my boss some money,

how much would you think for him, he is a red and white and could i ride him he is around 13.2hh but built and im about 5'10 i do have two friends that could ride him for me and give them a little money but obviously me doing him means more money for me, and fun!

flipper
13th October 2009, 04:42 PM
If you just want something to work on and then sell at a later date, then I'd go to an auction. They're virtualy giving ponies/horses away at the moment! I wouldn't buy anything with sweet itch however mild. You might be able to cope with it, but you'd have a job to sell him on for decent money, as most buyers will steer clear of sweet itch sufferers.

Loony
13th October 2009, 04:59 PM
I agree with flipper that you might have better luck at the auction.

I wouldn't take him on just because he's conveniently there and offered to you for little money. I'm sure he would carry you just fine, but wouldn't you want something a little bigger so you wouldn't have to worry?

Selling him on again would be tricky. At 13.2hh you would be targeting him at children, but since you've said he's a bit of a dick, you'd be hard pushed to find a child (and a parent!) that wants a pony that isn't completely bombproof and sweet natured. And then adding in the fact that he has sweetitch, which would make it harder to sell.

CityLights
13th October 2009, 07:39 PM
i think i could sort him out and make him a nice pony, he is just naughty due to not having the best start in life and then how we keep our youngstock isnt always ideal for the shyer types of ponies

im not sure i could to an auction i think i could get quite annoyed and upset and also would be worried about worms and lice and colds and viruses and a whole load of other stuff,

piccolo
13th October 2009, 08:06 PM
Go for it if you can give him lots of time. Be aware you might not make a profit (or a big one) when it comes to sell.

My Crazy Clan
13th October 2009, 08:43 PM
I would say no he isn't to small for you BUT you considered selling kizzy because shes not big enough for you? and shes bigger then this fella? so on this one I wouldn't buy him.

Have a look around, there are plenty of good cheap horses for sale, get one that you know will last you.

Whats your price range and how far would you travel?

What happened to your loan boy?

CityLights
13th October 2009, 09:31 PM
i sitll have my loan horse, the situation is,
Kizzie will eventually be for sale as she isnt right for me being too little
Ollie (loan horse) is here but will not live by himself, Kizzie will in jan/feb be going to work to have the sprog so i need something to keep Ollie company, if i had Dennis wouldnt be a problem he would live alone happily but Ollie stresses out, so i need something to keep him company, i wouldnt be keeping it long it would probably be sold on when Ollie goes home or Kizzie comes home unless she is sold which ever happends first

so i need something to keep Ollie company but dont want something thats just going to stand in a field i want something that could do a little and i could put some money on, something dirt cheap that needs bringing on a little, there isnt much out there from where i have been looking, 13.2 is a little small for what i would like i want more a 14hh chuncky type for under 1000, ideally more like 600 or less

helena
14th October 2009, 05:58 AM
Personally if he is sound and just needing proper handling I would say its better the devil you know than going to the auction where you are getting a completely unknown sold as seen horse that could have been buted etc.
If he's a chunky 13.2 there is no reason he can't carry you, ok you'll look leggy on him but so what?

As for the sweet itch, its more and more common these days, and as long as it is mild and can be controlled by a rug etc, its not ususally that detrimental to price.

I'd offer 400 and be prepared to go to 600. If you get him going nicely, as he's a coloured he'll be worth a fair bit in the end.

CityLights
14th October 2009, 09:49 AM
that why my thinking, I know he can be nuahgy but that is down to no handling rahter than being batterd or anything, and i know he has his vaccinations had the farrier been wormed is registered etc which is all extra costs i may have to do if i got something from the auction

i might offer he 400 if mum likes him becasue she actually offer me him for 500 but if i can get him cheaper it would obviously be better

flipper
14th October 2009, 02:30 PM
I have to disagree about sweet itch not making much of a difference to the price. Imo it makes a huge difference. Not many people want to buy in a horse/pony with problems. Sweet itch in my eyes is a condition that has to be managed carefuly. It's all time consuming and can be costly with buying adequite rugs, lotions and potions! Maybe I'm anti sweet itch, as I've had a horse with it and I'd never want to knowingly buy 1 in again!

Not all auctions have lice and worm ridden horses entered. We have a monthly local horse sale and there are plenty of good quality horses being sold there at the moment. Last month a few ridden horses sold for as little as 600!

Bek B
14th October 2009, 05:07 PM
If he hasn't been handled and that's the reason for his cheekiness I don't think it's anything to worry about.

My friends has had several wild ones. Most recently a section A who was very quirky who is now on loan to a young teenager who rides him bareback around the village and leapfrogs onto his back!

I'm with Helena on the 'better the devil you know' sentiment.

CityLights
14th October 2009, 05:21 PM
I have to disagree about sweet itch not making much of a difference to the price. Imo it makes a huge difference. Not many people want to buy in a horse/pony with problems. Sweet itch in my eyes is a condition that has to be managed carefuly. It's all time consuming and can be costly with buying adequite rugs, lotions and potions! Maybe I'm anti sweet itch, as I've had a horse with it and I'd never want to knowingly buy 1 in again!

Not all auctions have lice and worm ridden horses entered. We have a monthly local horse sale and there are plenty of good quality horses being sold there at the moment. Last month a few ridden horses sold for as little as 600!

ive never been to a sale so cant say i just have visions of poor horrible neglected ponies and it makes me reluctant to go

CityLights
15th October 2009, 10:00 PM
i dont see the babies very often as they live at a different field but this pony has just come in and he is actually a lot shorter than i remeber him being so i definatley couldnt ride him, rules that one out then lol, he can really move though is a proper shame

Smoke on the Water
27th October 2009, 02:00 PM
Disappointed for you hun but I think for the best. I too would have steered well clear simply cos of the sweet itch.