PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Burton College

jojonono
29th April 2011, 08:28 PM
Hello :)
I wondered if anyone has been/know anyone that has been to Bishop Burton College, I want to study Equine Business Management!
My house has 5 very large stables and a HUGE barn, also a very very very big tack room. I want to work with horses but not be a vet ect. I want to run my own horse riding school (with disabled access and hoists)!!
I live in Doncaster so does anyone know anywhere nearer that I can study Equine Management? Bishop Burton sounds really good and just wondered about it.
Josie (13 years old)
:D

BeckyB
29th April 2011, 08:51 PM
i did the national diploma there back in 2001 - 2003, the yard and facilities have been updated since then but i loved it
i lived on campus and it was hard work with looking after the horses and lectures but it was good fun too

CautionToTheWind
29th April 2011, 11:37 PM
Its a lovely place with nice facilities, although I don't know much of the courses. My friend went and did a course there and loved it but I'm unsure what exact course she did :)

CityLights
30th April 2011, 09:52 AM
Why Equine Bussiness Management? From what I have always been told its kind of a useless one to have really, what are you currently doing now? and what expereince do you have? are you doing your stages? I think there are also some similar qualifications run by the RDA for specifically teaching the disabled rider

I didnt study at Bishop Burton but have been thier competing and i would say it easily has the best facilites now they re did loads when the pony europeans were on there and the campus is amazing, my geogrpahy is pants so this might not even be helpful but there is also Craven College in Skipton which is where iwent, tiny college but very good staff but they dont have any onsite accomodation etc

CautionToTheWind
30th April 2011, 10:13 AM
I agree with Citylights, I think doing Equine Business Management really limits you in what you can do.
I know right now you want to work with horses/build a riding school etc, but often you'll have to get experience in other places before you can get anywhere. Maybe you should go on and do A-levels and then go to college or uni to do that course, then if it all doesn't work out you always have your A-levels which allow you to have a decent shot at other courses later if you need to. :)

XenaWarriorPrincess
1st May 2011, 04:03 PM
Equine Business management tends to be a degree course so you will have to do alevels first anyway.
Although a little biased as i am currently in my 2nd year of an EBM degree at Hartpury i think its a really good course to take. It is essentially a business degree and if you never want to see a horse again you have a good business background to go forward from.

CityLights
1st May 2011, 04:15 PM
obviously it does have some applications but for what i would be going towards work wise, i was always told it was a pretty ponitless one for me to take, but if it is helpful and applicable for what you want to do then obvioulsy it would be helpful to have, and if it has its useses outside of the equine world then it is a good degree to have incase you didnt want to do horses or if you couldnt get an equine job, but i think with equine sceience you could also go on to teach at high school (obviously with a PGCE as well) so neither are as limiting as perhaps other people think they are

best thing would be to try attend a taster day if they have some on or an open day to get an idea of the different courses, a feel of the college and to know all about applying and also what would suit you most

jojonono
1st May 2011, 05:41 PM
ok thanks :)

Ally&Becky
1st May 2011, 11:24 PM
Im currently at Bishop, not doing Equine, but i know a fair few who are.
I'd recommend doing a national diploma but wouldnt really recommend doing a degree there!
It's more of a college than a uni, so depends what you want really!

jojonono
7th May 2011, 03:12 PM
i think im going to leave horses for my hobby and im going into KS1 Teaching :)

kittykat
29th May 2011, 10:48 PM
obviously it does have some applications but for what i would be going towards work wise, i was always told it was a pretty ponitless one for me to take, but if it is helpful and applicable for what you want to do then obvioulsy it would be helpful to have, and if it has its useses outside of the equine world then it is a good degree to have incase you didnt want to do horses or if you couldnt get an equine job, but i think with equine sceience you could also go on to teach at high school (obviously with a PGCE as well) so neither are as limiting as perhaps other people think they are

best thing would be to try attend a taster day if they have some on or an open day to get an idea of the different courses, a feel of the college and to know all about applying and also what would suit you most

Just thought I'd chip in on this one!

I did Equine Business Management at Hartpury, graduated last year. Imo, it is similar to a lot of degrees out there - it is only what you make it. I put a lot of work into mine, got a 1st and now have a very nicely paying job with one of the biggest well known companies in the world (outside of the equine industry!). I was offered the job the April before I graduated which they then held for me till July. I got a promotion within 6 months and have found the large majority of what I learnt during my degree incredibly helpful. Uni isn't just about exactly what you study but proving to potential employers that you have the dedication and motivation to go out there, learn for yourself, meet targets and be prepared to learn. I personally chose ebm as I wasn't sure whether I even wanted to go to uni and having never done straight business before wanted to keep my options open whilst doing something that would keep me interested. It ticked all the boxes!