PDA

View Full Version : dentist said mare had a tooth only a gelding would have ??

kaya
12th May 2011, 10:19 PM
My friend said that a friend of hers had the dentist out to her horse to do their teeth and thatthe dentist commented that the horse had a tooth that only a gelding would have and had to double check that it was definately a mare. I have never heard of a tooth that a gelding has that a mare would not. The owner of the horse just recently bought it from a dealer and has now found out that it is in foal so is defo a mare.

smellycat
12th May 2011, 10:24 PM
Dont panic lol my friends pony has one of those teeth, the dentist said she may have lesbian tendancies :lol:

kaya
12th May 2011, 10:44 PM
what tooth is it I have never heard of this before

smellycat
12th May 2011, 10:53 PM
cant remember what its called, have a look on google?

horsemads mum
12th May 2011, 10:55 PM
We had the dentist out last month. Our mare was rugged and after he loked into her mouth he kept referring to her, as a "him" or "his teeth". My daughter finally told him she was a mare. He said sorry and said he usually checked but as she was rugged looked at her teeth. He said she has small canine teeth which is seen in geldings not mares. He then checked our 3 yr old mare and she has the same small canine teeth. (They are mother and daughter). So i dont know if it is hereditary or not.

Catg
12th May 2011, 11:04 PM
Oh yeah the canine teeth :lol:

BEX101
12th May 2011, 11:06 PM
Maybe she's a "Chimera" Where one twin absorbs the other twin early on in pregnancy? Apparently it happens more often than you would think and is only spotted when the horse exhibits things such as characteristics from both sex's (if the twins were the opposite sex) or stripping/brindle coat patterns when the foals had been differing colors.

kaya
12th May 2011, 11:09 PM
did try to google but didn't find much. didn't think about heridatary, someone suggested she could be a hermaphalidite if that is the correct word, i know this is they have both male and female organs but didnt think a tooth would put the horse in that category

adamntitch
12th May 2011, 11:20 PM
found this online it basicly means shes just special

Four or five canine teeth (tushes, tusks) between the molars and incisors. Generally all male horses have four canines. However, few female horses (less than 28%) have canines, and those that do usually have only one or two, which many times are only partially erupted.[2]

kaya
12th May 2011, 11:32 PM
thank you, and appreciate you taking time to look this up, I could'nt find anything when I did.

adamntitch
13th May 2011, 12:02 AM
no probs :D

Teej
13th May 2011, 12:27 AM
Baby has one too & I pointed it out to the vet who said that mares often have small canines.

Sasca
13th May 2011, 09:53 AM
Lol dont worry. These are generally in males as left over from fighting, but some mares get them, it,s not that uncommon, ive had a few with them. You generally find that those mares become alpha or lead mares. Its probably for the same reasons as males.

CityLights
13th May 2011, 11:58 AM
is anyone stupid enough to buy a mare thats actually a gedling, anyway surely when it goes to take a wee and you see it has part its pretty obvious

dentist is also ridiculous if he thinks only geldings have tushes generally they are a male horse thing but plenty of mares have them too

casper_cb
13th May 2011, 02:29 PM
I think your friend should get a new horse dentist!! I'd have thought knowing the anatomy of the horses mouth was fairly essential to being an equine dentist!! Quite a few of our mares have tushes (cannines).

All geldings will likely have tushes (cannine teeth) usually 4 of them 25% of mares will have them errupt too, but usually only 2 of them.

Sasca
13th May 2011, 05:22 PM
Must say, not sure i would be trusting a dentist who didn't know about the tushes. its the sort of work we cant check on after so they could just be doing anything in the horses mouth and we wouldn't know.

Kis Vihar
13th May 2011, 09:42 PM
Must say, not sure i would be trusting a dentist who didn't know about the tushes.

Ditto this! My little Daisy pony has tushes. A vet commented that it was unusual for a mare to have them, but my equine dentist said she sees several mares with tushes - more geldings, but mine was far from the only one she had seen.

sparkey
14th May 2011, 10:43 AM
If this bloke actually did say what your friend says he did then he sounds like a cowboy and he should not be making money from this.

My Crazy Clan
17th May 2011, 01:03 PM
thats it I'm checking wizz I said he was female! :lol:

Rolo2010
20th May 2011, 07:36 AM
My dentist said this about another horse on the yard he said it can also mean they have a hormone imbalance ( showing as a really naughty mare it is actually the hormones not naughtyness)