PDA

View Full Version : should I put our pony on loan

kaya
13th May 2011, 12:27 AM
I bought a 3yr old welsh A for my grandaughter, she is now 5yrs (the pony) my grandaughter is 3yrs this week. My horse mad daughter has backed and has been schooling Flora and has her going walk trot and cantor but can be a bit strong and fast. I have had her advertises as a loan at our yard for past year and have only had interest if she can be moved. I would rather she could stay at our yard but my daughter is 5ft 6 and about 9st and think she may be too big and too heavy to keep riding Flora. My grandaughter has the once a week on lead reign with her and will probably not be able to ride for at least another 2 years. Am I being selfish? should I allow her to be moved yards.

BEX101
13th May 2011, 08:40 AM
I'd say your daughter is ok to ride her. You see small adults on little welshies all the time. We have a mini that my 3 year old daughter and 1 year old son have rides on (like you i realize she wont actually be "riding" until shes at least 5) In the past i've had part loaners to help out with the exercising too.
Where are you advertising and what sort of child are you aiming for?

clippi
13th May 2011, 09:13 AM
I would of said your daughter would be ok to ride. I intend to bring Noodle on till daughter is ready to ride. I'm 5ft2 and vary between 8and half and 9 stone.

fofo
13th May 2011, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't put the pony on loan for the reason that you have brought the pony on carefully for your granddaughter and all the good work could be undone in a loan home.

I agree with the others that your daughter is fine to ride her.

I would just like to add that you are a wonderful grandma. I wish mine had done that for me!

CautionToTheWind
14th May 2011, 10:43 AM
I don't think you should put the pony on loan, purely because you have spent time bringing her on and as she is still young your training could all be undone if you allow her to be loaned out off your yard.

I don't think your daughter is too big for her. I own a 12.2hh pony and I'm about 5ft 1 and weigh 8 and a half to nine stone. Height wise she may look too big, but weight wise she's fine and thats the key thing that matters. :)

My 12.2hh is similar in the fact that she is very strong. I loaned her before I bought her and I was the only person really capable of riding her, even though she's meant to be for little kids! Because of this she was up for loan for ages and loaned out to the wrong people because her size suggested a childs pony. I would keep her with your daughter as she'll make sure your pony is perfect for your granddaughter when she's old enough to ride her properly, rather than having someone you don't know loan her off the yard and return her as a completely different pony when your granddaughter is old enough. :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! You granddaughter is very lucky to have such a generous grandma! :)

kaya
18th May 2011, 12:50 AM
Thank you all for your replies, I thought I was being cruel letting my daughter ride and being sellfish at not loaning her out. I will continue to let my daughter rider her :-)

zoeee
22nd May 2011, 12:27 AM
i agree with what everyone else said, i think your daughters fine to carry on riding her - and you don't want a loan home to ruin all that hard work!
when i was younger, my first pony was a horrible little thing - spent his whole life trying to work out ways to throw me off - and he was old enough to know better! my 5"7 mum was often seen to hop on him to sort him out for me while i was perched on top of her horse who pottered along after them :lol: - he definitely didn't struggle with her!