PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed

Lady Jane
15th October 2009, 09:10 AM
I have just recently bought rubber matting for my pony Ellie.

So far I have found it brilliant and it has saved me a lot of money as I only have to use a small amount of shavings.

A friend of mine is also looking to buy some but she wanted more details than I was able to give having only had my mats for around 6 months. She wanted to know how long they last for instance.

Does anyone else use rubber matting? How long have you been using it and does it still have a lot of great benefits? How long does it last?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jane

flipper
15th October 2009, 10:03 AM
I think rubber matting would last forever if you look after properly. Horse urine tends to rot rubber, so just give the mats a good wash down once a Week. No need to take the mats out the stable, just remove all the bedding and hose it down, then scrub with a yard broom. I have mats. I got mine because at the time I had a Warmblood who always managed to scuff his hocks on the floor despite having a deep bed! They worked great for him. I find I use far less bedding, so they're economical too. If you can afford them, then I'd recommend them.

Teej
15th October 2009, 01:54 PM
Both mine have rubber matting. We've had Baby for nearly 3 years on the same matting and although it's slightly flattened near the door, its still in very good condition.

To be honest mine still have deep shavings beds as I don't believe that matting would be in the least bit confortable for a horse to lie on. Mine always choose the shavings over the bare matting sections anyway so that confirms for me that they would rather lie on a comfy bed.

Frankie
16th October 2009, 10:01 PM
I have mats at home that are at least 10 years old and still going strong!

Lady Jane
19th October 2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all your help! I will pass on this info to my friend. Can't believe how long these mats last! I am so glad that I got them now :-)

CityLights
19th October 2009, 12:37 PM
we have had matting down for ages at least five years if not more, it still looks new, we have some super old matting at work god knows how old and there is the odd tear in it and its no longer smooth, kind of rougher now but still is really good

one has a hole in but the hrose stands and paws almost all day if she has no food and even wears holes in concrete