PDA

View Full Version : Bum high

Zeitgeist Mom
19th May 2011, 09:10 PM
I was once told that all horses end up with their withers higher than their bum. But Misty is now five and her bum is at least two inches higher than her withers. Is she likely to grow a bit more, or will she always be bum high?

bella127
19th May 2011, 09:13 PM
Some horses do always stay bum high. However, some breeds mature a lot later than others! It's only really this year that my Welsh Cob has stopped growing, and he's 10! He has changed so much since he was five years old its unbelievable. He was bumhigh as an 8y/o and is level again now so.. hope yet!

rowy
19th May 2011, 10:05 PM
as above. they keep growing till there about 7/8. I think mares stop growing a year before geldings, not sure why lol just read it somewhere but she'll continue to grow and level out though i have read of some horses ending up croup high.

Gix
19th May 2011, 10:15 PM
noticed that glenmuir crusaders highland looks bum high too (may be picture angle tho) so would hazard a guess that they are a late maturing breed.

vels mum
19th May 2011, 10:18 PM
She is probably still growing :)

Kis Vihar
19th May 2011, 11:13 PM
Kis Vihar is still growing, he's only 4 and his breed don't mature until 7! He goes through stages of being bum high, then withers catch up, then bum high again. His mum is now 8, and I HOPE has stopped growing. The vet reckoned he'd be bigger than his mum...I seriously hope not! :o

Teej
19th May 2011, 11:18 PM
As the others have said I'm sure it's just a matter of her withers catching up ! How tall is she at the mo?

Zeitgeist Mom
20th May 2011, 08:33 AM
Teej I'm not sure, but I would guess around 14.2hh. Her bum is easy 15hh. It would make sense that she would grow a bit more as I think she has a very babyish look about her still. I just thought that they stopped growing around 5. Nice to hear there's a good chance she'll grow a bit more.

My Crazy Clan
20th May 2011, 01:47 PM
Sisco will not grow anymore but his bum is higher! I think its down to having a dipped back, which I thought was done by being ridden by a heavy rider too young.

All the others seem normal but obviously when they were growing their bums were bigger!

Tiaki
20th May 2011, 02:10 PM
She is young so has plenty of time left to grow :)

Just be aware there is a difference between a horse being bum high and croup high. Bum high is the term for a young horse, still developing where as croup high is a term for a fully mature horse who has remained exactly that, croup high.
My Kiwi is croup high, not dramatically, just the way he is, his confirmation I guess and at 19 he certainly isn't going to grow anymore :lol:

xxx

Zeitgeist Mom
20th May 2011, 02:36 PM
She is young so has plenty of time left to grow :)

Just be aware there is a difference between a horse being bum high and croup high. Bum high is the term for a young horse, still developing where as croup high is a term for a fully mature horse who has remained exactly that, croup high.
My Kiwi is croup high, not dramatically, just the way he is, his confirmation I guess and at 19 he certainly isn't going to grow anymore :lol:

xxx

Thanks Sam - I'll try get a pic taken from the side, you can tell me what you think.

CityLights
20th May 2011, 03:11 PM
They tend to stop growing around six dependant on thier expected height and also breed, but some will end up bum high which isnt desirable but its not a bit deal anyway, some breeds generally end up bum high kizzie is stock horse bred and is likely that she will end up slightly bum high as that would be desirable in a cutting horse which she has quite a lot of breeding that is aimed towards cutting horses, where as if you were looking for a dressage horse you would want something built naturally uphill as it makes the job slightly easier but its horses for courses at the end of the day what suits one might not suit another job but neither means it will limit the horses ability or usefulness for a job just makes the job easier or harder

Zeitgeist Mom
20th May 2011, 04:17 PM
They tend to stop growing around six dependant on thier expected height and also breed, but some will end up bum high which isnt desirable but its not a bit deal anyway, some breeds generally end up bum high kizzie is stock horse bred and is likely that she will end up slightly bum high as that would be desirable in a cutting horse which she has quite a lot of breeding that is aimed towards cutting horses, where as if you were looking for a dressage horse you would want something built naturally uphill as it makes the job slightly easier but its horses for courses at the end of the day what suits one might not suit another job but neither means it will limit the horses ability or usefulness for a job just makes the job easier or harder

And I guess being used to carry heavy stags on the hills would be a good job for a low withered horse like a highland.....

K8E
21st May 2011, 08:53 PM
Copper is 5 (Cob) and we measured him with a measuring stick instead of the tape and he is 14HH and has been that size for 2 years he is bum high and I doubt he is going to get bigger.

Lucky is 3 (new forest) and is 13HH and he isn't bum high at all so doubt he will grow much more. I think it just depends on the individual horse.

Rolo2010
22nd May 2011, 09:32 AM
My mare when measured a year ago was just over the 15.2 mark then in spring i had her tied and she looked a bit bum high i just left her to get on with things during the bad weather and when measuring her 2 weeks ago after she has levelled out she's coming up as 15.3 she was 7 in april and i was always told they don't fully mature till they reach around the 7 yr old mark she also had a foal at foot as a 6 yr old and someone else had said that her final growth spurt will of been put on hold and all her energy into the foal and so on so its been when foal has been taken away and her body recovered that it felt the right time to finish the final sprout up not sure weather this is true though

Zeitgeist Mom
22nd May 2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks Rolo2010. :) I think she may well grow a bit more then. Nice surprise if she does!

Rolo2010
22nd May 2011, 11:39 AM
You never no hun. Like i say though everything i was told i don't no if its true all i no is that my mare grew and gave me the nice supprise LOL

so-n-so
29th May 2011, 01:14 PM
mo has just turned 5 and she has dropped weight on her back end and gone horribly bum high!!!

if she is anything like the welshies, she will still be growing.. i hate to think how big mo will be when she stops!! xxx

annmarie
29th May 2011, 01:27 PM
ohh she will deffo grow a bit more aero went from 14.3 to 15 hh between 5 and 6 he used grow upwards and look gangly and grow out n look even for a while before he he was bum high again he stopped at 15hh

fougere
29th May 2011, 07:42 PM
I expect she'll grow a bit, but if she doesn't it's no big deal.
Bracken's a newforest and stopped growing at around 5 years old (he's 13 now). He ended up a bit bum high - 14hh at the wither and just over 14.1 at the bum. Not ideal, but I've never felt 'downhill' when riding, it doesn't notice at all when you're mounted.

SadieSparkle
12th June 2011, 06:41 PM
Trigs is seriously uphill built - there has to be nearly a hands difference between his bum and his sharkfin-esque whithers.

He was 8 when I got him, and measured 17.2hh. Now he is 10 and measured at 17.3hh. Giant pony! Clearly I've been bedding him down on growbags...

xxx

waffles
13th June 2011, 11:29 PM
my gelding grew 1.5inches between 6 and 8 years old. He's a warmblood