PDA

View Full Version : i've found a sharer

Navygirl
22nd May 2011, 11:17 PM
After debating over past few months about whether to share baron it happened purely by chance! I've been struggling to keep a job down, run my house and maintain my relationship as well as doing baron (at 23 I should have realised mum made it look easy). Anyway someone replied to an advert I had placed in jan. and well she's seen baron twice and is perfect and can ride my scatty mad horse really well. What's even better is she just wants to hack and I want to school and compete. After two years of looking on and off with no luck someone just fell into my lap. Sorry just had to let that out :-)

Catg
23rd May 2011, 07:36 AM
That's great news and often the way I think! Do you mind me asking what arrangement you have with her? :)

Navygirl
23rd May 2011, 09:27 AM
No problem at all. She's giving me help towards his keep and paying 30% of his livery fee and i'm doing rest. She is riding him tues, wed and sat (would have rather had both weekend days myself but it's give and take). When I go away such as in july i'm away for two and a half weeks for work she can have unlimited riding while i'm away. I am not letting him be competed as he's a little nuts and I ride him in competitions myself. X

The Little Magician
23rd May 2011, 12:53 PM
That sounds ideal, I hope it works out really well for the 3 of you.

Navygirl
23rd May 2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks everyone. Hope it works out ok too. Just need to let go of reins. I'm actually not just handing him over. Before loan commences she will have ridden him four times and then i'll do a week with her in her first official week. Do you guys think it's fair for us to do unannounced spot checks for first couple of weeks? Just checking he's been groomed off, feet picked out etc x

Catg
23rd May 2011, 01:34 PM
Sounds good!

On the spot check thing I think it is totally reasonable for you to do that, I would want to as an owner but you also need to be very discreet. As a sharer i think I would be a little offended if I found out, even though I would understand; doesn't make any sense at all but that's how i'd feel.

Could someone like the YO check him for you once the sharer has gone, then let you know? At least then no-one else on the yard needs to know about it...

Bright Sparkx
23rd May 2011, 02:22 PM
Sounds great! glad youve found some help :) hope it works out. As for the spot checks id be doing the exact same thing if he was my horse i think youve got every right to check him out and make sure everythings okay, just remember that not everyone will do things the same as you and maybe not always up to your standard, but aslong as hes being treated well everything should be fine.

Susan
23rd May 2011, 02:33 PM
Great news! I was just thinking that it'd been a while since you were on EW and was hoping all was well with you guys.

I think the spot checks are fine, personally I would prefer it if the owner just said to me that they would pop in from time to time on my days just to make sure that everything is going smoothly. It is natural to want to satisfy yourself that things are being done the way you want them to be. Maguire's owner was always very good and trusting with me but she always asked me to text after I'd been up to see him, something I still do a lot of the time now just out of habit and to update her.

Navygirl
23rd May 2011, 02:45 PM
Well that's thing. I've had issues with yard only small things but stuff like not picking out feet an then he went lame from a bruised sole. It is in contract (which is crazily extensive) that I can spot check at any time. Was thinking of going up late (she's up during day as not at college) so I know she's gone just because "i'm in the area" I don't want to be the possessive owner but at same time want to make sure he's ok x

Loz
24th May 2011, 11:19 AM
That's great you've found a sharer for Baron, was thinking about you two the other day and wondering how you were getting on.

I think the spot checks are fine, just try not to give the girl the impression you're checking up on her! x

Madbee
24th May 2011, 01:35 PM
Sounds great for you both - it sounds like a few spot checks in the first couple of weeks will actually set your mind at rest and will be better in the long run - if you see that he's well looked after at the start then you'll find it easier to trust the sharer to see to him properly and will be able to be less 'possessive' as time goes on! I'd probably do it in a way that suggests you're wanting to be around to check everything's ok for the sharer, rather than checking him over, but done in a friendly way I can't see you coming over as pushy or possessive for wanting to check things are going well for Baron and for the girl that's helping!

Mungo Madness
3rd August 2011, 07:03 PM
That's fantastic, I remember you having such trouble finding someone!!

Zeitgeist Mom
5th August 2011, 01:20 PM
That's great. Hope it all goes smoothly. :)

Navygirl
5th August 2011, 04:44 PM
Haha well sorry didn't update you it all went bottoms up!! Noticed after two times of riding him on official share days she starting cutting corners. First time didn't pick out feet, second time she left my tack box open, lost my keys and then third time she didn't brush him just got him out field and threw tack on! I gave her a warning as had hinted on numerous occasions and she went all stroppy teenager on me so said enough was enough. Especially as I was going away for a month and trusting her with him. Really glad I did now as with his injury I do wonder whether she'd have tried to ride or even stuck around with an injured horse x

Jen30
5th August 2011, 06:58 PM
Sorry to hear you have lost your sharer :(
It really makes me angry when I hear about people like that. It gives us sharers/loaners a bad name. I have never been able to own a horse and so all my riding life I have part loaned and shared.
I feel so grateful when I find someone who is willing to let me ride their horse and treat it as my own. I would never cut corners with any horse, especially when someone has put their trust in me to look after their pride and joy. Even if the owner has specific routines which I feel aren't always necessary I will always go by the owners wishes. At the end of the day we are both doing each other a favor and when you get a good relationship with your sharer it can really work out well.
I have been so lucky in finding some brilliant horses to ride and personally as a sharer I would always appreciate the owner telling me if there is anything they are not happy about. I always send a text to his owner after my ride just so she knows everything is ok.
To start with I personally like the owner to have a fair bit of involvement and be at the yard whilst I ride and do jobs. Its nice to chat and get to know each other and also that way if I get stuck with anything they are there to help. Once we're both happy it is then nice to have a bit more independence but I am always still happy for her to come down when I'm there for a catch up or a ride.

I hope you find someone honest and lovely to share him... there are some out there!