PDA

View Full Version : So what does a horse cost these days.....

Foalie
15th July 2011, 11:39 PM
..... in terms of feed, shoes, vacs, vets, insurance, etc...

In other words all the expenses that do not add to anything as you spend the money but have nothing really to show for it!

Also, initial outlay such as 16h of horse, 2 winter rugs, 2 summer rugs, head collars, lead ropes etc as needed for a field based boy (or girl)

Then lets add in the tack...... :eek:

Haynets, buckets, stable odds and ends etc.....

In other words, what might we have missed to ensure for a happy horse? Tips / tricks / ideas / essential extras (or perish the thought we have added unnecessary items!) as we hope to have a horse soon. :)

Not rushing into this as for once I'm thanking the Tax man and can afford a horse but want to do the sensible thing and research first.

So what does the infamous EW collective think?

annmarie
15th July 2011, 11:42 PM
dont add it up it addles the brain but you do have something to show for your money a well cared for horse lol xxxx

Foalie
15th July 2011, 11:53 PM
In other words they are the four legged equivalent of a boat....

"Hole in the water surrounded by wood into which one pours money"

:lol:

Gix
15th July 2011, 11:54 PM
how long is a piece of string...

Foalie
16th July 2011, 12:28 AM
"Twice the length from one end to the middle"

Oh well, guess it will have to be a Blade then ;)

Many many many many horses between the legs!

And will still have to fight Saiorse off that too.....

Lobelia Overhill
16th July 2011, 10:48 AM
..... in terms of feed, shoes, vacs, vets, insurance, etc...

I joined the BHS as a gold member and have insurance through that.

Feed I don't know about as my horse is on livery.

a full set of shoes would be Ä50 [where I am]

vets bills depend on what the vet is doing, and how many horses he sees!

Also, initial outlay such as 16h of horse, 2 winter rugs, 2 summer rugs, head collars, lead ropes etc as needed for a field based boy (or girl)

The price of the horse depends on where you are, and what you buy ... an ex racehorse can be extremely cheap/free if you're up for the "challenge"! It's a buyers market at the moment, and there are hundreds of horses for sale, so you will be able to find something to suit your budget

You can get good quality rugs cheaply online

Then lets add in the tack...... :eek:

I went into a tack shop and nearly fainted at the prices, but then I went online and found cheaper tack (all brand new!) it's not "designer label" stuff, but it does the job and isn't causing the horse any problems!

Haynets, buckets, stable odds and ends etc.....

We don't use a haynet, buckets etc can be bought from a hardware shop

I can PM you a list of saddlery sites, if you like?

Gix
16th July 2011, 05:41 PM
"Twice the length from one end to the middle"

Oh well, guess it will have to be a Blade then ;)

Many many many many horses between the legs!

And will still have to fight Saiorse off that too.....

A blade???!!! Clinical! Get a gixxer lol :p

There are so many variables when talking horses and expense not just from breed to breed but from horse to horse. Bottomless pockets..... :cheekywink:

lyndy
17th July 2011, 02:11 PM
I bought scarlet for £1900 and that included all tack, 2 rugs, buckets, haynets, grooming kit, and a shavings fork as I didn't have anything so the very kind owner thru loads in!
I pay £170 a month on stables, shavings, feed, hay and insurance and £45 every 7 weeks for shoes. £45 approx a year on wormers, vaccs dunno, as yet to have them.However I have had a vets bill for £109 as she managed to rip her nose open!!
I have only had her 4 months but in that time I reckon I have spent another £300 on bits and bobs but could easily have spent triple that but skint so haven't! I deffo need some winter rugs, so that will be at least another £150 in a few months.
Its not a cheap do at all but it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Buy a good doer as that will save on feed/haylege/supplements and get as much as poss thrown in as the old owner prob wont need the stuff but it would cost you a fortune to by everythng new. Oh and buy second hand if you cannot afford new. I boughts loads of bits a a horsey car boot which saved me loads!!

loubylou
17th July 2011, 04:06 PM
Uva cost me £3000 with a bridle and some rugs. I am not sure that she was worth that mind but I had her on loan a long time before hand so knew her inside out, and you cant put a price on that!

I pay about £350 a month to keep her on a part livery basis, including my insurance, shoes, and a few pennies for extra bits and bobs.

Foalie
17th July 2011, 09:36 PM
I can PM you a list of saddlery sites, if you like?
Yes please!

I know of a few places in the north but any suggestions welcome as I travel about a bit.

Any ideas where to look for a 16h Irish Sports?

Where abouts are you in the country?

My Crazy Clan
17th July 2011, 09:49 PM
Feed for my 6 cost £10.59 every 6/8months - D&H Fibengy.

Feet x5 £20 a trimm, 1x every 4 weeks, the other 4 every 6/8 weeks.

Insurence for public liatlity is i think 359 a year for all 6.

Dentist depending on how much work is £33.30 call out and £31.00 treatment.

For vets if I could, I would put at least £50 a month, a side into another account an d build it up.

Rugs I allow £50 each for now, for winter, summer £30 max, headcollar and leadrope £10 max, grooming kit, £10, first aid kit, £10-£20.

Have your tack fitted, ie saddle, say £50 fitter, plus whatever the saddle cost, haynets £1.50, buckets. £1.00

sam13
17th July 2011, 09:54 PM
My sweety cost me £4000 with a new saddle and oldish bridle, I easily spent another £1000 on rugs for him he didnt have any of his own, grooming stuff, new bridle, lunging set etc. It cost me £50 to get his saddle altered to fit him better He is so safe I didnt think twice about his cost as he is exactly what I was looking for a sensible youngster I knew that I could bring on.

He is on working livery at £200 a month but we are moving to a new yard in august on part livery for a 6 month trial (hoping it works out as would like to look at DIY in the future) so it will go up to £320ish per month, shoes are £55 every 7 weeks his insurance is £40 per month. His injections are around £32 each and wormer is about £12 per tube his teeth cost £30-35 and to get his back checked and massaged £40 every six months

I think in a month for part livery, shoeing, insurance etc is around £420 then just any other bits that need doing

Bay Chaos
17th July 2011, 09:58 PM
Too much. Especially when multiplyed by 4.

Bay Chaos
17th July 2011, 10:15 PM
Feed for my 6 cost £10.59 every 6/8months - D&H Fibengy.

Feet x5 £20 a trimm, 1x every 4 weeks, the other 4 every 6/8 weeks.

Insurence for public liatlity is i think 359 a year for all 6.

Dentist depending on how much work is £33.30 call out and £31.00 treatment.

For vets if I could, I would put at least £50 a month, a side into another account an d build it up.

Rugs I allow £50 each for now, for winter, summer £30 max, headcollar and leadrope £10 max, grooming kit, £10, first aid kit, £10-£20.

Have your tack fitted, ie saddle, say £50 fitter, plus whatever the saddle cost, haynets £1.50, buckets. £1.00

How on earth does a bag of feed last 6 horses 6-8 months!?!?!?!!

and how come only 5 get their feet trimmed?

also, your public liability insurance would be way cheaper if you join the british horse society as a gold member. About £60 a year.

x

BHNRS
17th July 2011, 10:30 PM

Just what i was thinking!?!

i use a bag of feed each week on one horse!!

chescar
18th July 2011, 07:47 AM
As little or as much as you are prepared to pay - you can cut corners, but your horse won't thank you for it.

daytona
18th July 2011, 10:32 AM
In my case if I bought one it would probably cost me my marriage LOL

Lobelia Overhill
18th July 2011, 04:31 PM
Yes please!

When I've managed to copy & paste them, I'll send them!

I know of a few places in the north but any suggestions welcome as I travel about a bit.

One of my fav online shops is based in Norn Iron! You'll probably be able to go into their shop!

Any ideas where to look for a 16h Irish Sports?

Done Deal would be a good place to start looking, as you can filter by county...

Where abouts are you in the country?

Way down south in the wilds of West Cork :)

Kim
15th August 2011, 08:40 PM
Wayyyyyyyyyy too much. But when i walk around the corner to his stable in the morning and he whinnies, its worth EVERY penny.

My Crazy Clan
15th August 2011, 09:12 PM

and how come only 5 get their feet trimmed?

also, your public liability insurance would be way cheaper if you join the british horse society as a gold member. About £60 a year.

x

Feed - Because they only get a sprinkle each, I think I've done well not to give in to temptations, before it was over £50 a week on feed!!!

Feet - Because I do Wizz's feet myself, as he won't let a farrier near him.

Sorry the insurance part is supposed to to say £55!!!

My Crazy Clan
15th August 2011, 09:14 PM
Just what i was thinking!?!

i use a bag of feed each week on one horse!!

Because I have learnt not to overfeed them, before I was doing about £50 a week on feed! Now they only get a sprinkle.

amandaxx1
17th August 2011, 03:52 PM
A lot of money! Worth every penny though! You can do things cheap without cutting corners though I think.

Horse - 4 years ago I paid over £3000 for my cob, who was 7/8 at the time, safe, sane and well schooled. Although I know this is more than you need to pay for a horse.

Rugs - I have several lovely rugs for my horse and have never paid over £40 for a rug - that includes full neck heavy weight turn outs, weatherbeeta rugs, a very posh GFS rug. Shop at sales online, sales at tack shops and at auctions. Internet own brands are often very good, I cant rate requisite rugs enough.

Tack - my saddle was £400, second hand. But Ive had it checked by a saddler regularly and he says there's no reason why it shouldnt last for the rest of his life. You can get second hand saddles for much less that that too.

My bridle was £70 but I bought it for showing - you can pick them up for around £25 - £35.

Insurance (including vets fees) - £35 - £50 a month. I have been paying this for 4 years and have made 2 claims, Ive claimed more than Ive been paying over the years. So worth the money!

Shoes - £65 every 6 - 8 weeks. My horse goes around 6 or 7 weeks in summer, 8 in winter. No shoes is obviously a lot cheapeer.

Worner - Around £15 every 3 months.

Headcollars, buckets, tools etc - insividually, you can pick up for quite cheap from B&Q etc. But this kind of stuff seems to add up fast. I suppose the best thing to do is get everything as cheap as you can at first then replace things as you go along.

Dentist, physio and saddle man I have once a year - this comes to around £200 for the year, and is spread out throughout the year to save me paying it all at once. My dentist and physio are a bit pricey compared to some, I reckon you could get all 3 done for less than that.

I cant think of anything else at the mo! But like I said, you can keep costs down without having to cut corners x

amandaxx1
17th August 2011, 03:52 PM
Feed - Because they only get a sprinkle each, I think I've done well not to give in to temptations, before it was over £50 a week on feed!!!

Feet - Because I do Wizz's feet myself, as he won't let a farrier near him.

Sorry the insurance part is supposed to to say £55!!!

Lol your not the only one Rhea, I buy 2 bags of Happy Hoof for Bertie a year lol x

My Crazy Clan
17th August 2011, 04:59 PM
Thank god for that, I was starting to feel awful about it!

easyrider
17th August 2011, 06:40 PM
who cares he's worth every penny..have spent quite a lot on trec comp entries which average £50-£100 a time plus petrol......you only live once! lol....i spend far too much on gear but i like us to look nice......all i ever wanted in life was my own pony.....i am going to enjoy it while i can...if i added it up i would be horrified so i dont lol

amandaxx1
18th August 2011, 12:27 PM

Itís so funny cos in winter we all leave our horseís breakfast feeds outside the stable so whoever gets there first just throws them over the doorÖ. People laugh at bertieís minuscule feed, itís basically 2 carrots sliced up with a happy hoof coating to them :lol: Itís a token so he isnít left out of the morning/ evening routine and to get his supplements down Ė thatís it!!!

Dont feel bad, there's a good reason for doing it x

My Crazy Clan
19th August 2011, 05:09 PM
Thats practically why I feed, I probably could get away with not feeding in summer but magic loves his feed, even if its just a little, he sulks if he doesn't get it! I would rather keep him happy :lol:

0310star
2nd September 2011, 01:19 PM
Horse: £1000 18months ago, came with Tack and rugs.

Livery: £25 DIY- stable, use of school, and field.

Feed: £30 a month, Star is on a balancer and one bag lasts 4-6weeks and then chaff once every 3 months (she has a cup of balancer twice a day and a handful of chaff twice a day) I also add garlic to this and in the winter sugar beet and a cool mix.

Insurance: £39 a month

Tack: saddle she came with didnt fit so £290 for saddle, second hand and in very good condition and fits perfect! £25 for bridle in the sale. £25 Brushing boots, £15 bandages (preference and what the horse is used for)

Rugs: 1 x heavy weight combo turnout - £55, 1 x med weight combo turnout - £85, 1 x light turnout - £30, 1 x heavy combo stable rug - £45, 1 x waffle rug - £25, 1 x med stable rug - £40, 1 x fly rug - £30

Dentist: £36 every 6 months
Farrier: £40 for front shoes and back trim every 6 weeks
Back lady: £55 once a year for a full sports massage session, and she also has Shiatsu every couple of months.
Wormer: £12 every 3 months

Then the little bits like grooming kit, buckets, headcollar/rope, hay nets etc will be small amount but will add up! Bought mine a long time ago and wouldnt like to guess what they are now.

I tend to find the biggest thing to pay out (being on DIY) is Hay and Straw. Star will eat roughly 15 bales per month and you are looking this year at £5 per bale. I will be buying mine this month instead of montly this year due to prices going up fast. This will total about £300, then straw she will use roughly 30 bales over winter which is £60 in total where I am.

It is not cheap and things always pop up which need paying for but totally worth it :D

Ambers Mum
3rd September 2011, 04:54 PM

don't be daft, yours look like the get enough grass to balance out hun.

now back to mine,

Based on 6 ponies (shettie, nf, connie x, section D, section D x, section A)

Rent for a yard £200
Hay £25 per month (round bales)
Feed £30 per month but the younger ponies don't get any its just the three old bags
Mineral likkits for the field £35 a month
wormers (vary depending who I get them off but around £400)
vaccinations (god knows I just pay a big bill once a year lol)
Feet one half set at £37 and 5 trims at £22 every 6 to 9 weeks depending on the pony and work loads as the shettie usually only gets trimmed 9 week as he has natural wear and the farrier doesn't need to take any off.
Teeth, my vet now does them all at £53 a pony the young ones are every 12 months and the oldies are every 6 months.
back lady £40 every 12 months.
I have BHS gold membership so have public liability insurance but my vet fees are covered by a savings account that I have put money into for years.

On top of that I have show fees, lessons for my kids, tack purchases, rugs, my travel costs and probably loads of things I have forgotten.

The ponies who aren't feed bucket feeds have mineral licks and hay in the field and cosy pennies to keep.

WeeB
7th September 2011, 11:33 PM
man, I wish B could survive on a bag of feed every 6 months! He costs me between 80 - 100 a month on feed alone!! And he's only a little 13.2hh pony!! Mind you some of that is instead of hay as he cant eat that.

Think B cost me about £250 - £300 a month. And its all money well spent!

SahtiWaari
27th October 2011, 12:40 PM
Expensive critters. . . I am lucky with my boy, I don't pay agistment as I keep him at work, but around here that is usually $100 a month just for a paddock. And we have a vet that works for us, so I don't have to pay a callout fee, just whatever medicines he needs.

Jedi cost me $2000AUD.
Feed: $44/week
Farrier: $30/6 weeks
Teeth: $60/year
Wormers: $8/wormer

Summer rugs: $160 per rug generally. Currently have 4, lost count of the amount that have been trashed. GTL sunshade $65.
Ripstop/cotton rugs: Custom made - $160, GTL Simpson - $50 . . I don't remember the rest. 2x hoods $60 each.
Rainsheets: 3x $120ish
Winter night rugs: Eurohunter $300, fleece usually around $100 each. He needs a new winter doona ):

. . . Can't really complain, my pony is cheap compared to the horses I'm surrounded by on a daily basis. Sold a colt at horses in training sales last week for $37,500 (not my horse, not my money). And he was considered fairly cheap, really. |:

Bjutschilp
21st November 2011, 11:36 AM
Horse: 6500 € (5.580 £) came "naked" :)

Livery: 245 € a month (210 £) including hay, haylage and straw

Feed: 40 € a month (35 £)

Insurance: 30 € a month (26 £)
(includes liability, legal expenses, riders accident and horses surgery)

Tack: saddle 1995 € (1712 £)
bridle 150 € (129 £)
(but I must admit to be crazy about tack ...
... the trend is towards third and fourth
bridle and cooler and ... :ashamed:)

Rugs: Horseware Amigo Lite 70 € (60 £)
Horseware Amigo Medium 149 € (128 £)
several Eskadron coolers ca. 90 € each (78 £)
fly rug 45 € (40 £)

Dentist: 120 € a year (103 £)

Farrier: 108 € (93 £) every 6-8 weeks (6 weeks in summer, 8 weeks during the winter time)

Wormers: 29 € four times a year (25 £)

Vaccination: 40 € a year (35 £)

Due to the fact that I'm totally nuts about tack and riders stuff, about 100-150 € (85-129 £) has to added every month.

And I pay in 150 € (129 £) every month to a special horse account of mine,
for unexpected expenses (vets cost f.e.).

But having a horse is worth every single € or £ imo !! :)

Welly
11th March 2012, 05:33 PM
Ooooh I can't wait to be joining in with this sort of thread again lol!!
I miss spending every last penny on a pony, seriously!xx