View Full Version : What do I do next?

16th July 2011, 06:11 PM
Hi guys, I've been thinking about what to do next now my share has ended with Zebedee. I feel ready for more than a share but cannot afford to buy. Loaning might be an option once we're settled and have got our finances on track, I wouldn't risk it now though so will have to look for another share for the time being.

I need your opinions on what is realistic to look for. I've had free rein with Zeb which has been fantastic, I think I would struggle to share with an active owner on set days. I travel with work so my days would need to change week to week. So I was thinking maybe I could look for someone with a second horse who needs help? What do you think? I know for the most part I'll just have to wait and see. I supposed I just need to write everything down that's swirling in my mind to try and make sense of it and come up with a plan.

The main thing for me is that I will have loads more time than I do now. I'll be working from home most days so can help out before and after work very easily. It would also be fab to find something thats a little bit bigger and younger than Zeb.

How I'm going to make a share advert out of that I don't know! :o :lol:

Advice and opinions very welcome. :) xx

16th July 2011, 06:13 PM
Some people that share are happy to be more flexible- I know I was prepared to flex if I found the right person, and I have ended up with someone who only rides in school holidays when she is back from uni but she was so perfect with Uva I was prepared to compromise. I would contact people looking for sharers and state your position and see what happens

17th July 2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks hun, that's reassuring to hear xx

17th July 2011, 04:51 PM
Definately contact people, alot of people advertising with 2 horses will probably be more flexible and so definately contact them.

As for loaning, well worth it once you have got settled, as long as you have a contract and everyone knows where they stand, there are some horror stories out there with loaning and a good few people who have been burnt but as long as you are careful and cover your backside then you should be fine and have a very happy loan.

17th July 2011, 04:58 PM
Would you like Honey over winter at least? I would offer you Riff as well lol but have a feeling you may pass on that one

17th July 2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks lil_legs x

Sasca now there's something to think about! :D I just mentioned it to OH and he didn't say no :evilgrin: On a serious note I will get back to you as soon as I know what's happening, we're supposed to be exchanging this week but there are complications with our buyer so there is now a serious chance it could all fall through :( Cross your fingers for me. xx

P.s yeah it would be Honey I'm interested in :lol: xx

17th July 2011, 05:43 PM
EVERYTHING crossed for you :) And there's no rush about honey and dont feel pressured into it, just might save you on the advert writing lol

17th July 2011, 05:57 PM
Thank you Sasca :)

18th July 2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah I think an advert would be good.

And Honey sounds fantastic!

You would be welcome to ride Bertie free of charge too over summer or winter, but I know it's a fair treck for you when you move. And you wouldnt be able to do with Bertie what I know you want to. But the offer is always there, Im struggling for time at the moment and although plently of people need a horse to ride at my place I dont trust many people with him like I used to x

18th July 2011, 10:36 AM
Honey sounds fab :D:D
Try checking out local riding schools aswell. I'm sure if you were getting desperate my frined Tracy will let us ride out shes a couple for you to tootle out on if you come down to visit xx

18th July 2011, 03:01 PM
There's always a Betty to have a ride on as well if you don't find anything to share immediately and need a fix!

That said, having Honey sounds like the perfect solution!

19th July 2011, 07:24 PM
Thank you girls your all your kind offers I really appreciate it xxx :)

20th July 2011, 08:21 AM
I've had 3 loans - 1 was very set in stone for 2 days a week as the owner was an active rider so although it worked for me at the time, it was a little rigid. My second was with a horse where the owner let me pick which 3 days I did a week just as the week started. She never rode anyway, so it made no difference to her which days I did so that was quite flexible. Then my last loan was with one of the YO horses, so as she has loads of horses to ride, she just let me do any day, or every day, for 20 a week. As he lived out we didn't need to agree which days id do, id just turn up when I felt like! So I reckon you might find something quite relaxed either with a second horse or one where the owner never rides bu doesn't want to sell either. Good luck with your hunt!!

20th July 2011, 11:46 AM
Hope you find something suitable and flexible once you have settled in.

20th July 2011, 02:34 PM
Lyndy the last one sounds perfect! :D

Thanks Micki x

20th July 2011, 10:17 PM
I'd put a little ad in as many tack shops as you can in your new neighbourhood! I found out about Tilly from word of mouth and had a great set-up when I shared her :)

Fingers crossed you can find something! Or even better have Honey - you two did make a lovely couple ;)

20th July 2011, 10:28 PM
Ooh I was going to ask you how you found Tilly. Thanks hun I will do that, I have no idea what to write. I feel another post coming on lol. It'll have to wait for a bit though, we still haven't exchanged so the move date have been delayed - boo!

Hehe Honey is seriously sweet ;) I've got some serious investigating to do, got no idea what the livery fees are in that area etc x