PDA

View Full Version : Kissie doesn't like Rio!

ness
18th July 2011, 08:19 PM
We have had a bit of a slow start getting Rhiannon to ride Rio!
First, he had some cuts and bruises after his ordeal when he broke out of the trailer en route home, that we had to let heal before attempting to have him ridden.:( He was also footsore and his hooves were very long, so we had to get him shod.

His teeth were very overgrown.:( We called the dentist and she said his teeth hadn't been done in years!( No wonder, he was very difficult to get his bit in, he must have had some pain in the past.) Plus, he didn't have any tack of his own, so the dealer had been putting different horses' tack on to ride him and it may have been uncomfortable. (He has sores where his bridle has been.):frown:

We got the saddler to fit a smart new saddle (cheeky pony was naughty at first, we think he doesn't like men for some reason!):cheekywink::rofl:
Now he has developed a cough! The Y.O thinks it is an allergy to straw
so we have switched to a shavings bed-it takes ages!:rolleyes:

Anyway, R is finally hacking out on him with me and Kissie,:) but Kissie doesn't like him! this is despite being stabled next to each other! Rhiannon has to keep him away, because Kissie kicks and bucks when he comes behind her!:rolleyes:

One good thing. The new boy is keeping Kissie on her toes, she shows off and it makes for an exciting ride -zoom!:lol:
So hacking has become very eventful-we are out of our comfort zone-again!

Any ideas how to make Kissie like Rio?:)

chescar
18th July 2011, 08:28 PM
Time - the more they do together the more they will bond. Don't try and force the issue, they will bond eventually

ness
18th July 2011, 08:37 PM
Don't think we have much choice, Jo-Kissie won't let him near her!

chescar
18th July 2011, 08:53 PM
When Troy went into a field with his new buddy (also called called Troy) they would graze at opposite ends of the field. It has took a few months but now they are inseperable, they always graze together and scratch each others bellies of all things! Not sure if the other Troy is protcting my Troy as he knows he is vunerable or they just bonded.

My Crazy Clan
18th July 2011, 09:13 PM
Things will get better in time, after all its always been bambi for the last 4 years.

loubylou
18th July 2011, 09:17 PM
Might find she is seasonal and hormonal, and as she calms down and realises hes not there to make babies she will be fine. A horse I used to ride was like this when in season but as soon as she wasnt she was fine- just a thought

ness
18th July 2011, 09:31 PM
Might find she is seasonal and hormonal, and as she calms down and realises hes not there to make babies she will be fine. A horse I used to ride was like this when in season but as soon as she wasnt she was fine- just a thought

Mmm it might be her season!
I think they will probably bond in the end-I was just trying to make it quicker!:lol:

Teej
19th July 2011, 12:41 AM
Baby & Chip couldn't stand the sight of one another at first. I think Baby was a bit jealous of him since she'd had all our attention before his arrival. They were (& still are) stabled next to each other and there was lots of nipping and squealing.

Just persevere, taking them out together for inhand walks will also help them to bond in a relaxed environment, letting them graze near each other. Baby & Chip are now inseparable....... which creates a whole other issue :rolleyes: :lol:

daytona
19th July 2011, 06:54 AM
Its that age old addage of time and patience. Kissie could still be feeling glum that her little Bambi has gone and is reluctant to get on with Rio especially if he is in Bambis old stable. They more time they spend together she will start to learn to tolerate him.
Glad hes settling i ok and Rhiannons enjoying him. I think by the sounds of things you've 'saved' this little dude. x

ness
19th July 2011, 08:48 AM
Thanks TeeJ-that's comforting to know!
Thanks Jane-we I like to think we are giving him a good home!

clippi
19th July 2011, 09:19 AM
As everyone has said - time. Clip hated Noodle when he first came lots of bitiing and lunging at him, they are stabled next to each other and in a field together. I would lead them in together and it settled down, The turning point was when another horse went for Noodle and Clip protected him, he went in with all guns blazing. Never seen him like that. Now he scowls at him but they graze together and sleep next to each other (very sweet)

ness
19th July 2011, 09:37 AM
Aww! Kissie used to protect Bambi (who she thought was her pony!) I think it's so sweet when they do that!

Ambers Mum
19th July 2011, 11:01 AM
Star hates Peter even now after two months but at the same time she is squirting him like nobodys business. They will settle eventually. Mony was the opposite she just wanted his babies without the showing off lol.

ness
19th July 2011, 04:26 PM
I can't wait until they sort themselves out!

Bright Sparkx
19th July 2011, 07:18 PM
Sparks was like that with qomix at first, then once they escaped and got into the same paddock all grudges were forgotten and now you can keep them apart :) It will get better in time. :)

eeek
20th July 2011, 12:37 AM
My boys were vile to Kilo for a month or so after he arrived. I think they wanted Olive back! But luckily they get on really well with him now. Have patience, it will come.

fell lover
20th July 2011, 10:56 AM
Has Kissie ever been with a gelding in the field? Could be the sex that is bothering her, or just telling him that he may be there but he is not taking Bambi's place and needs to accept that :lol:

ness
20th July 2011, 06:39 PM
Yes, Kissie is in a field with geldings. She just doesn't bother with them much and prefers to hang out with the other mares. I think she is maybe just keeping him in his place and she will accept his presence eventually!

Jill
20th July 2011, 07:58 PM
Oh poor boy, sounds like he's had a rough time before he came to you.

Susie and Paddy didn't get on at first. He tried to make friends with her and she was a little cow with him. At some point I just stuck them in a paddock on their own together so they had nobody else to talk to and she started to be a bit better-mannered with him and now she loves him, he's the dominant one now.

ness
21st July 2011, 08:45 AM
I think that's how Kissie andBambi bonded eventually before, Jill, because they were on their own together at the farm and no, one else to talk to! We can't do that here, though, because its a livery yard and grazing is scarce.