PDA

View Full Version : How far to travel for a part loan?

takesthebiscuit
11th August 2011, 04:00 PM
Hi, I'm pretty much a lurker since with no horse I rarely have anything interesting to add :o

I've found a horse offered for share for 20/week which seems pretty much exactly what I want, thing is its 20 mins drive away :rolleyes: Is this too far to travel? Bearing in mind i'm a poor student and the petrol is just going to add to what is already quite a lot for me to spend!

I'm normally such a head-over-heart person so i'm struggling to justify the cost when I should be saving for a year abroad/house deposit/expensive grown-uppy things :innocent:

So yeah, probably going to get biased answers here :p but how far would you be prepared to travel for a part loan?

BEX101
11th August 2011, 04:18 PM
Depends on what the loaner wants you to do? Are they expecting you to go up twice a day on "your" days? Or just when you ride?
We move around a lot with the military and really make an effort to get somewhere within 5 miles of where we are moving to for the horses.
Where we are at the moment the pony is 7 miles away BUT because of roadworks on the A1 (long term) the way back is 12 miles and we are really starting to notice it on fuel and time. Even though i really like the yard i'm not sure its going to be the best place for us once winter approaches and we have to go morning and night.

So..... if you just have to turn up to ride a couple of times a week then go for it. If the loaner is expecting more responsibility then i think you would stuggle.

loubylou
11th August 2011, 04:19 PM
I travelled 15 mins as a student for a share and then when I bought my own I originally travelled 30 mins each way. I am now about 10-15 mins away again and think that is as far as I would want to be, it is nice to be able to pop up, and I found when it was half hour away I was kind of just going up when I had to as it didn't warrent the drive to just head up to see them whereas now even when I don't have to go up (part livery and a sharer) I still do occasionally just to see her.

Anni~Bell
11th August 2011, 04:29 PM
I'm about to travel 3 hours each way every weekend for my horse :lol: So my answer is a bit useless :p

loubylou
11th August 2011, 04:34 PM
Gosh wouldn't the train fare/ petrol costs etc pay to have him at livery nearer you anni-bell???

Anni~Bell
11th August 2011, 04:40 PM
I have a job back at home and also to have him closer to uni I would probs pay the same in buses and taxis than in train fares. And I always book in advance so get some train tickets for a fiver.

takesthebiscuit
11th August 2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks guys :) I'm tempted to go and see him and see what I think, and take my boyfriend with me for an objective view since i'm just going to fall in love at first sight! All i've got to lose is financial security right?! XD

Loz
13th August 2011, 03:11 PM
My friend has someone share her horse who lives a good 45-50 minutes away!!