PDA

View Full Version : finding a sharer

Niatross
12th August 2011, 09:05 PM
i have been thinking recently that maybe i would like a sharer for when i bring niatross up to leeds, but as i have never shared or loaned a horse before i don't know how to find a sharer or how much is reasonable to ask them to pay? one of my biggest reasons is financial as i am self employed so my wages tend to fluctuate depending on the season. any advice appreciated :D

lyndy
14th August 2011, 10:52 PM
Having part loaned 3 horses in the past before buying scarlet, my first tip would be to look local. Is there a local website to advertise on? I got 2 of my loans off merseyhorse as I live in Merseyside so very handy! I did look at more national website but never found anything close to home. Or ask around whichever yard you move to. I got a temporary helper when I needed one just by asking around. If you advertise and get some interest maybe do a 2 week free trial as I had this with 2 of my loans. It took the pressure off a bit from both to sides make a decision then. Then if you are happy with a potential loaner, discuss when money is to be paid and what days are to be covered. Also discuss what is/isn't expected of the loaner. I just used to do normal stuff - but anything more than a daily job (baths, stable disinfecting, shoeing, worming etc) was covered by the owners. But this is up to you. Just make sure you both know what you are doing! I think loaning is great when you find the right loaner. I was a very reliable loaner so people loved me loaning their horses...but some people are not so responsible, so beware!!

Catg
15th August 2011, 09:37 AM
I plan to look for a share soon and will speak with the local tack shops first and maybe pop an advert on their notice boards. I'll do the same for the local competition venues. x

Niatross
16th August 2011, 10:35 AM
thanks guys, the two week free trial is a really good idea as well. i wasn't sure if there was a website that everyone went to to advertise. i was thinking that on whatever days they had, they could muck out, feed, groom, ride etc so that his needs were taken care of that day but everything else i would do.

Catg
16th August 2011, 01:24 PM
Sounds good :)

I wouldn't bother advertising on the internet, no-one is ever close enough. Your best best is to stick local, maybe even put an advert in the local paper, spread the word as much as you can and get to know the people in the tack shops etc. The last time I asked them if they had any adverts looking for a sharer they said most of the time it's done through word of mouth.