PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to Stop him bronking!!!

nat91
20th October 2009, 03:10 PM
Please Help!! My Welsh cob has become a little ***! Every time I ride out with other horses and go for a canter he starts to show off and bronk!! Luckily he hasn't had me off yet!! I have had his back checked, so it's not through pain. He was not gelded until he was 6 so he still likes his mares and seems to show off in-front of them more than geldings. He first started it at a champions ships where there were 28 in the class cantering, then turned into a rodeo bull!

Has anybody had any success with trying to stop bronking?

x

Teej
20th October 2009, 04:02 PM
Chip my ex racer used to bronc in company. He did manage to get me off once when he dropped his shoulder and I lost the reins ! Not only have we had bronking but we've had napping, rearing and not wanting to leave the yard.

That all seems to be behind us now and as nervous as I felt about riding him sometimes, I made myself do it and just 'pretended' that everything was ok. Its not much fun being on a 16'1 horse that bucks, naps etc!

I would avoid group canters until you have mastered solo canters and then slowly build up to one more horse at a time.

nat91
20th October 2009, 04:37 PM
He is a s good as gold when he is on his own. I have tried him with just one horse and he still does it, hopefully he will mature soon!! I have herd that welsh cobs seem to take longer to mature, so maybe with age he will grow out of it.

My Crazy Clan
20th October 2009, 04:38 PM
What about teeth, saddle or poll pressure?

Roan Mare
20th October 2009, 04:41 PM
If he's just bronking due to giddyness if you make a downward transition to trot and then almost immediately ask for canter again it may settle him?

It works for my girlie, although I appreciate a transition to trot within a group cantering can sometimes be easier said than done :p

CityLights
20th October 2009, 04:46 PM
kick him on and tire him out if you have to room too, mine used to buck like stink but i just used to have to canter her until she decided it wasnt fun anymore and then kcik her on a bit further, she soon found it was less hard work

nat91
20th October 2009, 05:04 PM
I think I am just going to ride him through it then hopefully he will get tired! Thanks for all your replies everyone x

fougere
20th October 2009, 07:39 PM
If you can try to do your first canter uphill. If nothing else it should take the sting out of any bucks.

piccolo
23rd October 2009, 09:42 AM
Do you canter in the same place all the time? This may lead him to anticiapte cantering and get a bit full of himself. :evilgrin:
Could you use a daisy rein at first to stop him getting his head down in the first place? I'm not a big fan of "gadgets" but you can phase out the daisy rein.

This is assuming that he is not in pain.;)

smellycat
23rd October 2009, 08:05 PM
havent read all the replies but my horse does this when hes excited in an open space, as long as i keep my hands up and dont let him put his head down he cant bronk. It helps if i make him trot on and move forwrad so hes not bronking on the spot, which he likes to do!