PDA

View Full Version : Do horses like pigs?

jojonono
14th August 2011, 09:54 PM
Do horses like the smell of pigs?
My mare has been acting strange today,normally she is full of energy but today she couldnt be bothered to do anything and then in the field she was full of energy bucking loads and all the other horses have been bucking, it might be one of the horses in her field (Troy - he tends to pick on a different horse everyday)...might just be another one of her mood swings. I only thought of pigs cos in my field you can smell it really bad (next door have got pigs (I think))

My mum also want pigs for 9 - 10 months every 10 months for meat but i dont no if it will upset the horses

:)Thanks:)

Bek B
14th August 2011, 10:06 PM
Pigs and their odour does upset some horses. However they can get used to them.

There are some up the farm with Ollie. He's got used to them and is unphased by them now.

loubylou
14th August 2011, 10:11 PM
Horses are naturally scared of pigs as in the wild they are hunted by wild boar so the smell of pigs is unnerving for them.

annmarie
14th August 2011, 11:02 PM
i have only rode one horse past the pig farm near us with no bother and thats razzle all others i walked out with have hated them or rode past have also hated them is razzle thick lol

chescar
14th August 2011, 11:10 PM
Troy hated them! The only time he ever snorted was walking past pigs. Love that horse sooo much x

Sasca
14th August 2011, 11:29 PM
We've kept our horses on a couple of pig farms and never had a problem, my shetland stallion also has a pig friend.

but out of all of them, if ive one to the horses from work (rare breed pig farm) sully wont let me near him! if he smell my hand he turns into a loony and gallops round bucking and acting like a right dufous!

So its individual :)

Bright Sparkx
14th August 2011, 11:38 PM
Sparks & Qomix both hate them they only have to get a wiff and that's it! Lol.. They had them at college and most of the horses there hated them but after a while got used to the smell,noise ect. And took no notice in end x

Bex16
15th August 2011, 12:44 AM
Vicki lived next to a pig farm before I bought her, she had no problems with them. I have two pigs at home with the horses, they are not scared of them but will chase them if they go near their food (Amber is the worst, little madam!).

lil_legs
15th August 2011, 08:04 AM
Jasper is frightened of pigs, sheep, cows the lot lol.

Where I used to have the horses one of the rides we did had pigs down a lane and we would have to be careful because they would occasionally be wandering out onto the lane. That was always fun haha!

Alot of horses don't like the smell for the reason Loubylou gave. Some won't be bothered, unless the smell is sudden, or the pigs have moved in there recently then I would say there is another reason for them acting odd.

Usually if they have been living there for a while the horses will get used to the smell. I can only get Jasper happily past one pig on a hack and that is because he now knows that pig is there and can just about deal with it, on the other side of the track lol!!

My Crazy Clan
15th August 2011, 11:45 AM
Some are fine with pigs but I can guarantee mine wouldn't be, they have never seen them before, they are shite scared of cows!

Loosey
15th August 2011, 01:30 PM
Some hate them - all of mine are fine with them and Hope even scratches Daisy our big pig!

Just an extra thought - you can't keep males until they are beyond 6 months as it will taint the meat (not to mention how expesnive it would be as they eat tons of food!x

gem
15th August 2011, 09:08 PM
Saffy lives on a pig farm. All the other horses are scared of them. Saffy, who has been on the farm for 2 weeks, doesn't care :lol:

fougere
19th August 2011, 07:44 PM
Gemma was fine with anything (cows, donkeys, combine harvesters etc), but not pigs. She tended to leg-it if she smelt them. It made riding in the New Forest in the autumn quite interesting.:D

Bracken just gives them his best stare, but he's only met wild boar, not domesticated pigs.

As for me, I'm very scared of the wild boar.:lol:

flambards
20th August 2011, 11:04 PM
We have a pot-belly pig at the barn. The horses all hate her. :lol: But I like her because she's great to use to work with spookiness! I spend a session a week getting Domino to relax around the pig and desensitize to her.

Madbee
22nd August 2011, 09:18 AM
Well, after our eventful hack yesterday, I can categorically say that Betty is more frightened of pigs than anything we have come across! She had hysterics when we had to walk past some yesterday!

sherman74
24th August 2011, 10:59 PM
Millie Muncher will go past them but i'm sure if we got up close she wouldn't be so keen, i rode an arabian mare for 6 years and her daughter was scared of nothing, we all went on a riding holiday in the new forest and there were pigs all over the place, whilst we were all S**t scared, little 14.3 flame went right over to the pig nose to nose as if to say "what are you" and snorted at it and walked of calmly. we all had a good giggle and made sure she rode upfront for the rest of our rides. x

0310star
1st September 2011, 12:38 PM
Star is terrified of pigs! We have a field about 15 minutes hack from us we can use to go for a gallop, problem is that it is on a farm/ livery yard which you have to walk through. There is pigs either side of the driveway in pens and Star just jumps from side to side whilst snorting and after a couple of metres shes off, with no brakes may I ad!! :scared:
She also hates cows but pigs are her main fear!! :cheekywink:

chescar
1st September 2011, 07:32 PM
Just had a very eventful dressage lesson due to pigs!:pmsl::pmsl:
(or should I say my trainer did!)