PDA

View Full Version : Why does he shove me?

Catg
20th October 2009, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone,

He's always done this a little bit if he wants to get out his stable or if people have been giving him treats over the stable door but recently I feel like he's doing it alot more.

It's possible I'm being paranoid now but I'm sure he's doing it more and more frequently but I don't know why? Is he trying to tell me something or just being grumpy?

I took him out his stable last night to groom him, tied him to the bar outside his stable and he shoved me as I turned away, caught me off guard and I knocked my shoulder on the metal bar. It bloomin hurt!

Getting fed up and don't know how to address this. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Cat x

vels mum
20th October 2009, 04:09 PM
How is he moving now Cat when ridden? He could be doing it as he is feeling under the weather.
Dollie is really bad for pushing me and her head is level with my lady bumps, tis very sore and feel like screaming at her but know that wont help!
Do you tell him off when he does it? If its not down to him feeling pain then id be quite stern with himand and push his head away when he goes to shove you.
Have you added a joint suppliment into his diet, for his stiffness?

Catg
20th October 2009, 04:16 PM
Hi vels mum, it's not resolved yet unfortuantely. We've arranged for his owner and the yard owner to watch me riding him in my saddle and a treeless saddle this sunday to try and discount it being a saddle problem. Personally I think he has some kind of shoulder injury. Stiffness is still a possibility but without a professional opinion I'm hesitant to ride him or change his diet. Hopefully on sunday I'll get some more answers and can then organise the appropriate treatment.

When he does it I push him away at the shoulder, not at the face as he can be quite headshy. Doesn't seem to make any difference though? I'm obviously not being firm enough! I suppose in the back of my mind I'm still worried about him and it doesn't feel right to tell him off if he is trying to communicate but when they catch you where it hurts I agree it's not so easy to keep calm lol.

Catg
20th October 2009, 04:28 PM
Hi Sovereign, I don't say anything apart from ouch that ****** hurt lol. Then I push him away.

Will start using my voice too.

Katie Morag
20th October 2009, 04:32 PM
He could be testing your bounderies. It's always difficult to tell. If you have elimanted all other obvious reasons, could be bad manners. In the field the dominent horse will move the others around using their body lanuage.

Try maybe an elbow that's what I use when Mo goes into my space.

Roan Mare
20th October 2009, 04:54 PM
Dor used to push me alot when I first bought her. I told her "no" in a firm voice pushed her back (from the chest) at least 3 steps for every time that she pushed me.

She rarely pushes now but does occassionally when she's in a bit of a stroppy mood. If she does I do the same but I now normally only have to repeat it once (had to be persistant to begin with).

That said if he's just started doing it out of the blue I would definately investigate further it before treating it as purely a behavioural problem.

Good luck :) x

Catg
20th October 2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your help x

vels mum
20th October 2009, 06:40 PM
A growl at them usually makes then think.
If this has come on since his perhaps injury though id put it down to that. Hope the wee man is ok, x

My Crazy Clan
20th October 2009, 07:05 PM
Manners i would say, mine get like this now and again, if they knows theres treats about then thats the main cause of it, I push them back with a firm no, they know not to do it but sometimes boys try their luck, don't they.

I would like to say it isn't down to his injury but we never know fully.

eeek
20th October 2009, 07:50 PM
Don't know but thought I would share your frustration: VINNY JUST NOSEBUTTED MY EYE. And it was dark. So I didn't close my eye. And then I thought I'd gone blind in one eye because in the dark I didn't realise my fringe was over that eye, so couldn't see the distant light I could see with the other, non-weeping eye.

****** horses!!!!!

piccolo
20th October 2009, 08:43 PM
If he is fine physically then i would have a crack down on manners!
When he goes in front of you say somthing like don't be rude". To back this up gently stick the rounded end of the crop to his chest. Please no one accuse me of "horse abuse" here as it's just like pressing your finger in it chest gently.
Use a bridle if poss for more control at first.:evilgrin:
Vary his rutine so he does not either come out of his stable to be ridden or turned out. He might predict it otherwise. Maybe you don't do this anyway.
Where a hat if you feel you need to so if he does anything around your head then you will be protected.
If he does not want to go forward, try to zig zag him.
This will often take time, but you will get there!;)

Sorry if this is not what you asked for!:cheekywink:

Catg
21st October 2009, 05:25 PM
Vels mum, he certainly seems to be doing it more but I have been moping round him recently, maybe he's trying to tell me to get a grip lol.

Rhea, yeah it's difficult isn't it, I don't want to tell him off if he's trying to tell me somethin!

eeek, bless you that sounds really painful!

piccolo, he's not that bad luckily for me, he just seems to 'randomnly' nudge me? Other than that his manners on the ground are very good.

He has always done it in the past out of impatience, like when we get home from a ride and I have him in his stable, he'll get fidgety and start trying to shove me, then when I turn him out he'll have a wee straight away, silly boy holds it till he gets out in the field. After that he's all chilled out again! This is the reason why I have this niggling feeling in the back of my mind that he's trying to tell me something and I don't know what it is, it's upsetting and I can only think that he is still uncomfortable. I am in the process of sorting his slight lameness but these things take time when it's not your decision!

Thanks for your replies everyone, sorry I keep writing essays xxx

ness
7th November 2009, 09:24 PM
I would be ready for him and give him an elbow if he did it again and go beserk!
He is probably looking for treats-I would cut them out!

silverbullet
8th November 2009, 05:09 PM
Basil tends to nudge as well. Usually only in the winter and its usually if i'm not doing thing fast enough for him - e.g. changing his rug to go out to the field.

I'm with Ness on this one - an accuse me of cruelty if you want - but i find an elbow in the face the best cure!!

Just gives him a bit more respect!

Zeitgeist Mom
8th November 2009, 05:38 PM
Got to get my little Parelli nudge in here ....

I think Parelli, at least the first four or five games, would help enormously. They are really good for teaching a horse to respect you, and your space.

Catg
10th November 2009, 09:59 AM
I've taken all your advice and am much firmer with him, I've defnitely noticed the difference, he's been much better.

I will look into them ZM!

Thanks

Cat x