PDA

View Full Version : Viewing possible share on Sunday!

takesthebiscuit
17th August 2011, 03:56 PM
I'm really nervous! Especially since I havnt ridden properly in years... probably going to look like a right idiot :lol: (I have warned her btw :innocent:)

The other horses I've ridden previously have been through friends and on familiar horses, so I just wanted some idea of what questions I should be asking to make sure I dont forget anything! Never actually been to a proper viewing before.

I'm taking my (non-horsey) boyfriend with me for at second opinion and just in case its actually a mad-axe muderer or something :lol:

So yeah, what sort of things would you be asking? Apart from the obvious price, days, contract terms etc, I got that far :p

chelle83
17th August 2011, 04:09 PM
The main thing I would do is make sure you see someone else ride the horse first. Hopefully see it being caught from field, groomed, tacked up etc incase the horse has any 'quirks'. Also just be sure you know what the horse is capable of doing workload wise, if you can potentially take it out and about and do some shows all going well etc.

Good luck, hope all goes well.

hairycobs
17th August 2011, 08:25 PM
How exciting for you! Good luck!

What is horse like? xx

takesthebiscuit
18th August 2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys! Hes a 5 year old heavy cob whos just used as a happy hacker and in a lesson once a week.

The age concerns me slightly, but if he's as quiet as she says he is then it should be fine. I'm trying to be as objective as possible and wont be taking anything on that needs training, I just want something to potter about on and get back into horses. If he's exactly as described and not too green he should be perfect!

clippi
18th August 2011, 11:48 AM
Good luck and hope it goes well.
Ask what it's like on teh roads. If possible see if you can hack it out

Catg
18th August 2011, 01:09 PM
Ditto Chelle. Good luck!

hairycobs
21st August 2011, 12:48 PM
good luck with your viewing today x

loubylou
21st August 2011, 03:09 PM
good luck for your viewing, look forward to hearing all about it later!

takesthebiscuit
23rd August 2011, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys!

He was lovely, really chilled and easygoing. Was greener in the school than I expected and a little nappy but I think it was mostly insecurity and was very easy to manage - he gave up after the first try every time! He was previously a hunting horse and has only been schooling in the past few months so if I take him I'd want to do lots of loose schooling/lunging to get him bending and more used to working on a circle. He just didnt seem to know where to put his legs :lol:

I've asked to try him on a hack next week, if hes good to hack i'll almost definitely offer to take him. If he's still nappy and insecure I probably wont - green on green makes black and blue! And I want something to just have fun on and potter about, not ready for a project yet.

lil_legs
23rd August 2011, 08:58 AM
Sounds promising though, fingers crossed he is as good as gold on the hack. Hacking is a huge thing for me as that is my enjoyment time, I don't mind having to work on something in the school as long as the hacking is fine.

takesthebiscuit
23rd August 2011, 09:32 AM
Yeah thats how I feel, I really feel like I could work on his schooling as long as I'm not always having to train him.

Loz
24th August 2011, 02:00 PM
Sounds promising.
Hope the hacking goes well.
If you do take him on we will need pictures...and lots of them!