PDA

View Full Version : Hunting on Saturday with new horse.... help!

Houndsfield
21st October 2009, 02:11 PM
Daughter has been asked by a friend to hunt on Saturday for the first time on her newish horse. She's hunted lots from a 12.2 pony up to a 17.2 Shire x TB (fab hunter!).

This horse is currently up for sale as he has such potential - but she has limited time to get it out of him (showjumping he can be sharp and spooky, he's silly and very green when hacking out alone.... but much better with company). He's an absolute dream to deal with - he's 17hh 7 years (with OBVIOUS low miles!). He's amazing a flat work and has won lots of Dressage with my daughter.

In your opinion would Hunting help him with any of his issues?.... ie being less spooky eventually, and being better behaved on the roads - I realise he'll be with a few more horses, but in a completely different enviroment. I would love daughter to keep him - and wonder if hunting might solve some problems. (Apparently he has hunted before, and we've just contacted the dealer where we bought him - who says he'll be fine and safe. (I hope!!)

Savvy
21st October 2009, 03:39 PM
Hunting can sometimes help horses who lack confidence but I think in Lincolns case you need to establish whether he is genuinely nervous or if he knows he can get away with certain things and is taking the mick!

Either way if she's confident enough to take him hunting it might help spread the word that he is for sale and find an excellent buyer, or she might have a great time with him and decide to keep him and persevere etc

XenaWarriorPrincess
21st October 2009, 03:49 PM
I would take him, it might give him some more jumping experience without him really thinking about it if you get what i mean! Ie. its not a competition.

Houndsfield
21st October 2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks Savvy, I really do think he's just taking the mick.... which he's obviously got away with so far....hopefully he might enjoy himself and settle down - which would be just wonderful!

Thanks XenaWarriorPrincess...... I think you could be right - he's almost be out 'playing' rather than 'working'.... will let you know how they go!

Houndsfield
24th October 2009, 02:45 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/Houndsfield/IMG_0014.jpg

Just to let you all know daughter and her 17hh ISH are home safe and sound - after their first day out with the Berkeley Hunt!!:kiss:

He was extremely well behaved from the minute we arrived in the field, to tacking him up - he rode from our trailer to the meet very nicely (!!) - he naps at home..... very strange! Stood at the meet absolutely perfectly - looked like butter wouldn't melt!:cheekywink:

Was sent out as a field horse when the meet moved off........ the weather was blustery and rainy.... but he was great - they had a couple of good gallops, he did catch himself going through a gate - and had a longish cut across his face:ashamed: Goodness knows how - but is nicely tucked up in his stable having had a full hot bath, with a nice clean rug on........chasing 'round his snack ball!!

So glad they both had a good day - could definitely do him the world of good - hopefully stop this stupid napping out on hacks!:mad:

CityLights
24th October 2009, 03:25 PM
if he is sharp becasue he lacks confidence then it may very well do, depends on how he is sharp and why he is sharp, he may also be better over natraul type obsticles rather than show jumps, either way it will make him a more attractive horse for someone to buy if he has gone hunting as he is an eventer type and if he has hunted then he is half a step closer to being a eventer

XenaWarriorPrincess
24th October 2009, 03:56 PM
Sounds like a good day apart from the cut!!
xx

Savvy
26th October 2009, 03:49 PM
excellent, glad it all went well