PDA

View Full Version : Rehoming

Tiaki
21st October 2009, 04:30 PM
The lovely Sasca posted something similar on the old forum but I think it's important to remind people so thought I would post on here :)

For anyone looking to buy or loan a horse, please remember the many Equine Charities and consider rehoming.

ALL charities struggle, especially with winter looming so I urge you to contact your local sanctuaries and see what is available for rehoming.Even if they have nothing available, it is a good idea to leave your details with them and what it is you are looking for so that if anything does come up, they can contact you to see if you are interested.

Many Sanctuaries have to turn horses away due to not having the funds or the space but if they could have contact details of people looking, maybe that would give one more horse a chance at a new life.

As most of you know, I work very closely with Equine Market Watch (EMW) who do currently have horses available for rehoming.

Not all "rescues" are problem horses. Horses end up at Sanctuaries for all sorts of reasons i.e. marriage breakdown, the passing of their owner. They are not all difficult horses who need an experienced horse trainer to work with them. Many are signed over to Charities for no fault of their own.

So please, please, don't forget Charities if you are looking to take on a horse, pony or even a donkey. Drop them an email and leave your details so if your suitable horse does turn up, they can contact you.

I can honestly say there is no better feeling than taking on a horse in need :)

xxx

Teej
21st October 2009, 04:43 PM
That's such a good idea and I hope people make use of it.

I agree that there is nothing more satisfying than rescuing a horse (or any other animal) knowing that you are giving it a second chance.

bimba
21st October 2009, 05:12 PM
Totally agree! Both mine have been given a second chance firstly with their previous owners and now with me and it's so rewarding seeing them grow and flourish.

horsemads mum
21st October 2009, 07:53 PM
My daughters friend applied to our local horse charity about rehoming a horse. Her mum backed up her application but didnt hear anything back from them. Her mum sent the form off. It has been about 6 months since she did it. they hadnt seen a horse they liked, just applied to see if they had one suitable for her. Regards Horsemads mum

My Crazy Clan
21st October 2009, 09:39 PM
Totally agree!!!!!

Savvy
21st October 2009, 10:08 PM
Totally agree, my Sovereign is from the ILPH and I got her when she was around 2 and she's now nearly 7. My dog Tilly and old dog Kez are/were both rescues as well.

Loony
21st October 2009, 11:20 PM
Fab post!!

Sasca
21st October 2009, 11:34 PM
definatly rewarding...

Im in the case of technically a dealer i guess but i take on the market horses and ponies and ones that are donated to me. I have the most beautiful herd and not one of them comes close to dangerous. The worst i have is scared and nervy but not naughty, few polos and he's your best friend. Ive had challenges but most i wouldn't call rescue as they are fab temperaments. It takes a lot of bad handling to turn a horse dangerous, they're too forgiving! Ive had them come through and its very sad...

Anyway, what i was going to say was, please keep the rescues in mind but if they dont work out. Try looking for a dealer like me (if there are many around....) Every horse i sell scrapes me through another month or rescues another pony. Not a penny goes into my pocket (ive lost a few dress sizes!) I rely so much on people giving my ponies a chance and hopefully someone deciding that they are right for them. The rescues will be in the same position. If your gonna buy, make sure your money goes into the right pockets, and i like to let people know that them rehoming one, lets me take on another one. I hope buyers are aware of just how vital they are to the survival to people like me. I come close to losing them all every couple of months untill i can make that one crucial sale that lets me get my head floating again for a couple of weeks. Not a suggested route to go down but i cant leave some of those ponies behind, nor turn people down if they need my help. (plus im rubbish at asking for money!)

By buying Echo, Shaz allowed me to take a terrified young colt (who i still have) off a horrible dealer who severely beat him accross the face. Rescues are so important if they can do it properly, it would be nice to see them successful through this hard time.

Tiaki
22nd October 2009, 12:38 AM
Sasca you are a star with what you do :)

I agree and I am the same as you, on a much smaller sale. ANY horse I have for sale, will have a poor background. I nowhere near buy and sell on your scale Sasca but when I do it's the same principles as you. The money doesn't go in my pocket, it goes on other horses so without people wanting to give "rescues" a home, I can't do what I want to do.

Take my Lewyn for example. He wasn't what people would class as a rescue, he was untouched but in poor condition. Who knows what would have happened if I hadn't taken him home but he is now owned and ridden by a 10yr old girl, out hunting, jumping and doing fun rides and the girl adores him.

As soon as I can I will be buying another in the hope that some lovely person will buy him off me and give him the life he deserves :)

xxx

helena
22nd October 2009, 06:29 AM
I went to a meeting at the TRC on tuesday - they have around 50 TB's waiting to come in to be retrained, some of them verging on emergency cases and 10 ready for rehoming. They can only take 30 at once, so rely on the rehoming to make places available for the next horse in need.