PDA

View Full Version : riding when pregnant

BeckyB
16th September 2011, 09:07 PM
i have just found out i have a 2nd little person joining the family and just wondered about the pros & cons of riding whilst pregnant. i didnt have this problem with my first as i was horseless when carrying him

scewae
16th September 2011, 09:12 PM
I rode actively until i was 6 months pregant. I think your body will tell you when is time to stop xx

lil_legs
16th September 2011, 09:15 PM
I rode right up until a few weeks before, didn't ride as much in the last 3 months as I did before. I just took it easier, made sure I rode the horses I trusted and knew inside out. Only did the basic schooling. I did hack but again not as often.

The doctor just said take it easy and ride up until I didn't feel comfortable doing so. She did say to slow down in the last 3 months but again if I am comfortable I could still ride. I was lucky and wasn't very big, up until a few weeks before I was due some people at work still didn't know I was pregnant lol!

CityLights
16th September 2011, 11:12 PM
my friend is six months pregnant and still riding, only really hacking out, she has just gone on maternity leave now and prior to that was working full time on the riding school, teaching, mucking out grooming bringing in horses etc

lil_legs
17th September 2011, 08:25 AM
OOh and congratulations!! That was rude lol!

clippi
17th September 2011, 09:01 AM
Congratulations.
I competed at endurnace uptill about 4 and a half months then rode till the week before (she was 6 weeks early - not riding related) I gradually reduced the amount I was doing. Your body will tell whe you to ease back, especially when your bump is hitting the pommel

Pie_x
17th September 2011, 10:13 AM
Congratulations! Its up to you but I wouldn't ride at all after the first couple of months, or at all because it can be such a big risk. Even the horse you trust the most could do something totally un predictable and in this case I think you have to put the childs sake first! You can still spend time with your horses and do other things :) x

Millenium Destiny
17th September 2011, 10:15 AM
Congratulations!! I rode whilst carrying my 1st and 5th baby but just took it easy and avoided the more manic stuff (like riding work on the gallops lol) only time i stopped was when i had to dismount and the bump stopped me leaning forward so i had to swing my legs over to the side and slide off backwards lol.

Boo's mom
17th September 2011, 01:08 PM
Congratulations! :)
I rode until I was about 6 months gone with each of mine. Was just too uncomfortable after that. My midwife was fine about it, she said as long as I didn't take silly risks it was fine, and would help to open up my hips and pelvis for the birth.

BEX101
17th September 2011, 05:50 PM
Congratulations! I'm sure your body will let you know when its time to stop.

stepbystep
17th September 2011, 09:17 PM
Aww! Congrats :D

Loumoo74
17th September 2011, 09:27 PM
Congratulations :)
I have to say once I found out I was pregnant at 6 weeks, I had one last ride & then stopped. I'm still overprotective of my kids now. I didn't feel I could take the risk on my unpredictable ex-racer. If I'd had a bombproof horse I'd probably have kept on until it was uncomfortable.

Madoldbat
17th September 2011, 11:25 PM
I'm too old to care but just wanted to add my congratulations xxx

fell lover
18th September 2011, 12:21 AM
Huge congratulations on the pregnancy!! Just ride as long as you feel comfortable and safe - each person is different xx

Jill
18th September 2011, 12:31 AM
Congratulations.

My GP told me that I would be unlikely to have a problem, but that I must decide for myself how I would feel if anything went wrong and whether I felt I would blame it on the riding. We have all seen far too many soap operas and films where a pregnant woman is thrown from a horse and miscarries, and usually is never able to have another child - exactly the sort of thing that frightens you to death when you're pregnant.

I rode up to about 3 months with both of mine and then started worrying, so then it was time to stop.

Rolo2010
18th September 2011, 09:27 AM
i rode till i was 7 month with my youngest i only stopped because i couldnt actually get on the horse anymore LOL