PDA

View Full Version : The racing Thoroughbred

K8E
25th September 2011, 08:23 PM
I have started a college course animal management and one of my lessons is about animal welfare and breeding. My first project is a powerpoint presentation and my group have chosen the thoroughbred (racing) and I have to find out about the history of how horses began then have to find out about how the first thoroughbred became about and how selective breeding has made what the racing thoroughbred is today does anyone know any books or useful pedigree sites I could go on to find this information out, there is soo much out there.

Hope I have made sense and thank you in advance!

ROWEY!
25th September 2011, 08:35 PM
If you haven't already, I'd watch the Inside Natures Giant from earlier this week on racehorses. Apparently its fascinating (I'm about to settle down and watch it now) and its still on 4od.

K8E
25th September 2011, 08:38 PM
Thank you! I havent seen that I will watch that tomorrow.

CityLights
25th September 2011, 08:39 PM
chose a mammoth of a topic there!
i would of chosen something like the Trakkherner, slightly odd one but its a breed that massively influences a huge number of other warmblood breeds, was almost extinct at some point and has had a lot of influence by other beeds, to take it from cavalry horse to high up the WBFSH rankings where as i wouldnt of said the TB has had so much out crossing to develop it

two good pedigree sites are Sports Horse Breed Database and All Breed PEdigree to look up pedigrees etc,

XenaWarriorPrincess
25th September 2011, 09:42 PM
Darley Arabian, Godolphin Arabian and Byerley Turk were the three foundation stallions of the TB if that helps with your searches!

BEX101
26th September 2011, 07:54 AM
Try the British horse racing website. x

lil_legs
26th September 2011, 08:03 AM
I was going to say watch the Inside Natures Giants programme. That was very interesting and will probably be a good source for you.

K8E
27th September 2011, 01:06 PM
I watched inside natures giants and it was really helpful! I will try the website you suggest city lights.

Rhythm Bead Queen
30th September 2011, 02:58 PM
I watched inside natures giants and it was really helpful! I will try the website you suggest city lights.

Also talking to people within racing & stud farms, may benefit your course work.

Years ago, TB's were bred on physique alone, but now also within the selective breeding choices, temprament plays a huge part too.

If i can help in any way, i'll try my best, just p.m me

K8E
30th September 2011, 09:00 PM
Also talking to people within racing & stud farms, may benefit your course work.

Years ago, TB's were bred on physique alone, but now also within the selective breeding choices, temprament plays a huge part too.

If i can help in any way, i'll try my best, just p.m me

Thank you for your advice I will try that I may pm you on sunday when I get back and do it (I'm working all day tomorrow) the bit I'm looking into (other members in my group are doing the evolution and welfare) I'm doing the breed development so hereditry diseases and selective breeding and something else I can't quite remember of the top of my head will have to look at the brief.

SahtiWaari
27th October 2011, 12:28 PM
If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I work in the Australian racing industry a bit and I will try my best to help. :)