PDA

View Full Version : Haffies

ROWEY!
26th September 2011, 10:18 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this but I think here is as good a place as any.

Basically, I was wondering what colour haffies are?
I've always thought of them, generally, as flaxen chestnuts however I know many people who call Barbie a palomino. Maybe they're both?
I'm sure theres some clued-up colour genius on here that can successfully boggle my brain on genetics and such so please, inform me!

And just because she's gorge, Babs - chestnut or palomino?
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h333/ROWEYANDBARBIE/RESIZED/babsse-1.jpg

loubylou
26th September 2011, 10:21 PM
Haffies are always chestnut, however dark or light they are the genes are chestnut :)

ROWEY!
26th September 2011, 10:23 PM
Thats what I thought! Glad to know I'm not loopy. So many people call her a palomino and I'm like errr... shes a chestnut.

BEX101
26th September 2011, 10:25 PM
Chestnut!
Palomino's are chestnuts that also have 1 copy of the cream gene making them palomino. If Haffy's carried the cream gene then you would occasionally get cremello's which is when a foal inherits x2 cream genes (1 off each parent)
The look similar in colour to some pally's but they are just chestnuts with flaxen manes and tails.

BEX101
26th September 2011, 10:27 PM
I have to admit, off that pic of Barbie she looks very palomino and without knowing she's a haffy i can see why people would think she was palomino.

ROWEY!
26th September 2011, 10:30 PM
Its a bit of a tragic photo of her to be fair, but someone who knows her said it to me the other day and she is MUCH darker than that with her winter coat - positively orange!

Horse Mad Mum
26th September 2011, 10:32 PM
lol Bex the minute I saw that Mane I knew Barbie was a Haffy , they are passported as Chestnut with flaxen mane and tail , anybody that cals them a palamino doenst know there haffies from their horses lol HMM XX

LOve her mane like that Rowey :) X

Horse Mad Mum
26th September 2011, 10:33 PM
oop cross posted , they do change colour quite dramatically ove rthe year Goldei is almost thecolour of a newpenny at the moment :)

ROWEY!
26th September 2011, 10:36 PM
Thank you! Difficult to do at the moment since she rubbed a patch about a hand wide off which is only half growing back (to the wrong side might I add) so it all falls out after ten minutes.

EDIT: Yes, she's suddenly gone very dark and from having nice light dapples to ones darker than her coat.