PDA

View Full Version : Passport

jojonono
18th October 2011, 09:21 PM
hiya
im going to see a shetland pony on saturday
he hasnt got a passport (they got broken into and they have nicked the passport ) i was just wondering where should i get a passport from and do i just apply for a new one?
the only reason they are selling is she has no money as her husband has been sent to prison and she cant see the point in getting a new passport as she is selling....she doesnt no mum or dad (but it doesnt matter to me as my mare has an unknown breed ect)

Tiaki
18th October 2011, 09:25 PM
Do you personally know the people selling the Shetland?

Sorry but for me personally, no passport = no sale!!

xxx

CityLights
18th October 2011, 09:26 PM
im pretty sure its illegal to sell horses without passports,
it is her responsibility to get a replacement if she is genuine and it was stolen she should be able to get the passport issuing society to reissue one to the pony, if not she will have to microchip the pony inorder to get a new one drawn and filled in by a vet, passports now will no longer be issued without first chipping the pony,

Bay Chaos
18th October 2011, 10:03 PM
You sure this pony isn't stolen....

husband in prison....... think what you like
no passport
doesn't know breeding
wants to sell quick

BEX101
18th October 2011, 10:09 PM
Yes its illegal. If she had the passport in her own name or even just remembers the registered name of the pony then she could get a replacement off the breed society after they check the previous owners havent had it stolen.
Its also illegal for you to apply for a second passport under a different society for the pony as they should only have 1 passport/unique number

gem
18th October 2011, 10:11 PM
im pretty sure its illegal to sell horses without passports,

^^ This. Who'd nick a horse's passport and not the horse?!

CityLights
18th October 2011, 10:22 PM
^^ This. Who'd nick a horse's passport and not the horse?!

Someone who nicked another horse perhaps

CautionToTheWind
18th October 2011, 11:11 PM
Everyone above have hit it on the head. No passport = no sale.
It is illegal to have a pony without a passport and it is especially illegal to transport a pony without a passport (people have been pulled over and asked to show the travelling horse's passport). The insurance of the horse would not pay out if it isn't passported. I'm assuming you'd have to transport this horse, which is indeed very illegal and I know that my livery yard will not allow any unpassported horses to stay on it premises.

I thought you were having to sell Perl because of a hoof problem? Did I miss something?

There will be plenty more PASSPORTED Shetlands oout there if you're in a position to buy, good luck

BEX101
18th October 2011, 11:19 PM
There will be plenty more PASSPORTED Shetlands oout there if you're in a position to buy, good luck

You can pick up shetties for well under 100, if not for free if you look about.

jojonono
19th October 2011, 06:38 AM
I thought you were having to sell Perl because of a hoof problem? Did I miss something?

yes Pearl is up for sale but she is fine, just cant pick her feet out....she has to be very heaverly sadated (and she was still kicking!!)

okay thanks :)

0310star
19th October 2011, 12:50 PM
I am pretty sure it was 2005 the law came in which states every horse MUST be registered with a passport if they do not already ahve one. I am also pretty sure that you cant just re apply for one in a different name or different society.
This to me says the horse is stolen- Husband in prison, passport got stolen (again why would you steal a passport and not a horse and also why would you keep keep the passport in a place it could be stolen??), quick sale......
Unfortunately this is all too common :(

Meeny Miny Mo
19th October 2011, 02:10 PM
Ditto the above although i will add if the pony is registered to the shetland society you can get a duplicate off them, it costs 25. I know this because I have just had to get Basil a new one as I lost his. (no getting him microchipped or the vet out etc to issue new passport)

clippi
19th October 2011, 05:46 PM
Ditto the above although i will add if the pony is registered to the shetland society you can get a duplicate off them, it costs 25. I know this because I have just had to get Basil a new one as I lost his. (no getting him microchipped or the vet out etc to issue new passport)

But is this because you are already the registered owner and as such the shetland pony society have records of this

BEX101
19th October 2011, 06:21 PM
But is this because you are already the registered owner and as such the shetland pony society have records of this

Yes, but it is still possible to get a replacement passport even if you arnt the registered owner. The society will contact th elast registered owner on their records to make sure the pony hasn't been stolen and then re issue one.

I know of a few that have managed to get replacement passports this way.

Meeny Miny Mo
20th October 2011, 08:27 AM
Yes, but it is still possible to get a replacement passport even if you arnt the registered owner. The society will contact th elast registered owner on their records to make sure the pony hasn't been stolen and then re issue one.

I know of a few that have managed to get replacement passports this way.

This ^^^^^ i too know of people that have done this.