PDA

View Full Version : silly spooks

syble
23rd November 2011, 09:37 PM
just out of interest what the silliest thing your horse has spooked at.

Belle
23rd November 2011, 09:42 PM
Birdbox. one leaf and her shadow which try as she would she couldn't escape, it just kept following her :pmsl:

XxFudgexX
23rd November 2011, 09:54 PM
Amy spooks at all sorts of silly things.. a sheep, a letter box on a post at the end of someones drive, long grass..but things you would think she would spook at she doesn't.

Hairy Fairy
23rd November 2011, 10:08 PM
today Bo spent most of her time spooking at falling leaves and her shadow. She's a muppet....doesn't bat an eyelid at big lorriers thundering past her but leaps around at the sound her her own hooves in the leaves on the ground! lol

Burnie
23rd November 2011, 11:04 PM
A kitten sat on a wall - terrifying :lol:

CautionToTheWind
23rd November 2011, 11:10 PM
A darker patch of grass literally gets Holly everytime. :rolleyes:

stepbystep
23rd November 2011, 11:52 PM
^ thats a common one with Mr Alf!!!

OzzieWelshie
24th November 2011, 01:06 AM
His own farts! So funny!

SahtiWaari
24th November 2011, 03:59 AM
Uneven sand in the arena, a pebble on the ground that wasn't there earlier. The silliest little things!
But he'll just stand there while someone's using a chainsaw right next to him??

annmarie
24th November 2011, 04:02 AM
razzle dont do silly spooks he spooks at really scary things and jumps fences sideways x

Bjutschilp
24th November 2011, 07:41 AM
Aaarggghhh, Mucki also spooks at the silliest things:

• his own shadow on the ground is a reason to start aside
• kiddies on child's bikes are always very "dangerous"
• one of the "thousands of" fern fronds deep in the forest, but it's impossible to foresee which one it would be this time, and therefore cantering in the forest on Mucki is dangerous due to his abrupt stopping/anchoring
• some park benches, although he passed them several times before without baulking
• sometimes rattling farm tractors and trailers

lil_legs
24th November 2011, 07:49 AM
Logs and tree trunks!! Jasper hates them, he also has a phobia over a water trough in someone elses field we occasionally pass. I found that one out when he spun in hte middle of the road and faced the cue of traffic behind us, the woman directly behind us nearly passed out lol, once she saw I was laughing she laughed too bless her!!

Madnellie
24th November 2011, 07:55 AM
Flagship (the one I rode side saddle) would spook at his own poo.
Libby doesn't like to see her shadow and if the poles in the corner of the arena have been put back in a different order that takes a bit of getting used to, but most of the horses at the yard seem of the same opinion about that!

Loz
24th November 2011, 02:56 PM
Rou has been known to spook at her own snort! Leaves are terrifying yet police cars with lights and sirens going are absolutely fine!! Or chavy pricks in their pimped up cars reving their engines at us..she stood stock still and didn't even flinch even though he was up her bum, I could not have been more proud of my baby if I'd tried that day. Rou 1 - chavy turd 0

fell lover
24th November 2011, 04:42 PM
Leprechaun, a cob I used to ride, used to jump out of his skin every time I sniffed when riding him out on a crispy morning!! Took me ages to realise what he was jumping at!! This is a cob that would do miles pulling a trap on the roads!!

Charli
24th November 2011, 05:21 PM
Atiqa hates purple flowers. I know horses don't see colours the same way we do,but its only the purple flowers she spooks at!Also if I cough or sneeze,her shadow on a sunny day,puddles.
Whisper isn't very spooky but she takes a dislike to certain drains!

fell lover
24th November 2011, 05:51 PM
Becky has to jump over the SLOW sign painted on the roads!! It is killer paint, you know!!

Chloe
24th November 2011, 07:10 PM
I rode one of the riding school ponies out on a hack and she didn't spook at the 3 tractors that passed us but trotted sideways into the middle of the road after seeing a pile of tyres on the side of the road, silly mare hehee.

Another horse I was riding spooked at a part of a fence that was a slightly different colour to the rest of the fence :rolleyes:

micki
24th November 2011, 10:34 PM
Danser shies at her own shadow if the sun has been behind a cloud and then comes out. She also shies at small purple flowers and butterflies are so scary for her :scared:. The worst shy she ever did was at a small blue line on the road that was marking where the road needed repairing, we shot across the road touching the middle of the road with one foot and the next thing i knew she was at the other kerb. A woman had slowed down coming towards us and she slammed the brakes on, switched off the engine and turned white :eek:.

fairyfeet
25th November 2011, 10:25 AM
These make me laugh, silly things they imagine.
Max goes loopy at the plastic see-through covers on pushchairs,pushchairs without the cover are fine, baby carriers, and people appearing out of shop doorways. Umbrellas we are working on but flags on cars are the devil incarnate and there is no stopping him then.
He'll walk calmly through working roadworks with diggers etc,pipes across the road etc
Very little phases him now, traffic, farm machinery, rubbish, uddles etc no problems.
He's ok now with tents as the farm had a rally and there were loads of tents and I walked him around them every day. Balloons he's getting used to but still cause him to stop and look.

SahtiWaari
25th November 2011, 10:39 AM
I rode a mare that once walked past an eastern brown snake (extremely, extremely venomous) without batting an eyelid, but thought puddles were out to kill her. . . o_O

Osci
25th November 2011, 01:29 PM
Oscar used to spook at me coughing or sneezing - not great when you have bad hayfever or a cold but he's got over that one now, he spooks at killer birds and squirrels in hedges, at grass that's a different shade, at tarmac or road markings that are new if its on a route he knows well, he had a total melt down at his own shaddow one day but never since (special boy!) and at people who do insist on hiding in the hedge with dogs when we are heading towards them, what is it with people hiding?!? I tell them to just come past, he's fine with dogs and fine if he can see you but they say no no we'll stay here til you pass and of course then he wont pass as he's freaking out at whatever is hiding in the hedge lol. The worst one is large leaves, rustly leaves are scary sometimes but there is a plant that grows wild on some of our hacks that has huge leaves, he was do flat out to halt if we come across one of those!

zoeee
27th November 2011, 07:24 PM
Mine spook at everything! But to be more specific..

Bailey can't stand silver cars, at all, has to dive in front of them. His shadow is a big problem in the summer (chasing him), so is his reflection in puddles/windows. Certain road signs, fluffy or coloured horses. Anything that isn't where it 'should' be.

Madam spooks at the SLOW on roads, every time without fail. Also the first horse I've met who doesn't like twigs, sticks, or logs. The chestnut pony we pass most rides who is always in the same place. And rocks - any kind of rock or stone is a huge deal.

My mums horse has a thing for birds, can't be too careful with birds... His worst spook was with me when I took him out by myself for a hack - he was cantering sweetly along the side of a field, spotted a lone dandelion, shot off to the right and jumped the hugeee ditch & hedge! He's only 14.2 and 'doesn't jump'! Got the shock of my life! :eek:

WeeB
27th November 2011, 07:30 PM
B likes to chop and change with what he spooks at, keeps the game interesting you know!

But his faviorites are, a drain near the yard, twigs that cross his path, stones on the road and he is another disliker of the slow signs on roads.