PDA

View Full Version : does anyone employ a groom? or is a groom?

silverbullet
7th December 2011, 01:41 PM
Basically once nic moves with magic I'll not have the time to do all the horses jobs and ride. I've bitten the bullet and decided that rather than trying to find a sharer um going to try and employ a groom for about 2-3 hours a day.
So how much would you expect to pay.
I'd also need them to do occasional shows so would pay for show days seperate. How much would I pay for that.

SB Zenith
8th December 2011, 03:28 PM
Id do it but i think your too far away!! Ive been every type of groom going i think (bar racing) Most grooms would be overwhelmed by minimum wage, pay is awful! I used to get 60 a week for 6 days from 7 til 6

eeek
8th December 2011, 03:36 PM
The arrangement I have with FF is that he looks after my horses when I'm away or unavailable (eg working antisocial hours), and gets free grazing (and soon stabling as well) in return. When I am around and available, we go halves on the duties. My mum pays him cash for any extra jobs he does in the garden etc.

CityLights
8th December 2011, 03:37 PM
If i get regualy work for a certain client like there are two people i do one lot every sunday and the occasional other day and some i do three days a week for three hours, I get just over minimum wage from both which is 7 an hour, and i do set amounts of work, all the mucking out and work two of the horses at one place, if i do anything on top of the agreed work then i get a little more, like the ones i do on sunday the other day i worked both of them usually i just do one so she gave me an extra 5 for lunging the other horse, but as it is regular work i dont charge as much as people i look after horses when they are away on holiday etc,

BEX101
8th December 2011, 03:52 PM
you could look on the notice boards in your local tack shops etc to see if anyone does a mobile groom service.

XxFudgexX
8th December 2011, 05:47 PM
Hayley ZM does yard jobs for people ask her see what it entails and what she charges.

Zeitgeist Mom
8th December 2011, 06:55 PM
I do mornings and evenings 5 days a week for 10 a visit. The owners are away during the week so I do pretty much everything for their animals for those 5 days - three horses, three dogs, cat and 24 chickens. It was meant to be 10 an hour, but in reality I do on average about three hours a day (for a total of 20 a day).

XenaWarriorPrincess
9th December 2011, 11:54 AM
I used to get minimum wage when i was paid hourly.

Madnellie
9th December 2011, 01:21 PM
I pay 15 per day for Libby to be fully looked after when I'm away, including schooling, turn out, muck out, bring in, feed, rugs, the works. Given that the lady who looks after her for me was BHS young instructor of the year a couple of years ago, I feel that I'm getting a very good deal!
She also bought feed this time I was away but obviously I'll pay her for that!

Twizzel
10th December 2011, 03:50 PM
I would say 7 is fair if it's basic stable duties involved.

daytona
12th December 2011, 03:15 PM
If only I was nearer. I'd be happy to help.
I miss horses :(

silverbullet
13th December 2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys.

Daytona - you're always welcome to pop over for a ride. :-)

Charli
8th January 2012, 09:43 PM
What area are you in? I'm a freelance groom and charge 10 p/h :)