PDA

View Full Version : Help! Correct Wages - am i expecting too much/too little?

jessica140289
21st December 2011, 12:33 PM
Hi Guys,

Wondering if i can get a little advice?

Im currently working as a groom in Germany and im wondering weather the pay+benefits i recieve is normal/reasonable?

I'm an experienced groom but this is my 1st time working outside of the UK, i know in my previous groom positions i have been lucky with pay and workload so have not got anything realistic to compare to.

I have sole charge of 28 horses, including foals, youngstock, broodmares and 7 stallions (soon to be 30/31 - we're expecting foals and a new filly from the uk) There are 24 stables to clean daily, two large turnout paddocks and one small pen - cleaned 1/2times a day, feeding, haying and turning out and bringing in, also 2 alpacas and some chickens :-)
The daily work (6days a week) if all goes as normal takes around 8hrs from 7am and 2hrs from 4pm - as u can work out this leaves me an hour for lunch.

I get 500euros in cash each month and 500euros taken off me for my bills and accommodation (which comprises of a bedroom, kitchen with dining table and a bathroom)

I just want to know is this normal, the hours, the workload, the pay and deduction for benefits?

Any imput would be great :-)

clippi
21st December 2011, 01:30 PM
I don't know but I worked that out on a 4 week month and the cash in hand amounts to 2.17 an hour. That seems a lot of work for not a lot of money. But I don't know the going rate for grooms

CityLights
21st December 2011, 01:58 PM
Think you are doing an insane amount of work for that money! i sure as hell wouldnt be doing it, we had a slightly larger yard than that and had six full time staff on to do it but we also worked the horses

Ussiarella
23rd December 2011, 08:56 PM
Hey there I'm from Germany.
I must say its normal up to quite good.
A friend of mine is working as a groom in a
professional jumping stable and she works 6 days a week
from 8am to 6 pm. A break is sometimes very short 1/2 hour sometimes
An hour or two. She has to feed and care for 30 horses and has to travel
along to events which means often 24h working a day.
She earns 500€ in a month...
Hopes it helped you.
Take care

sparkey
30th December 2011, 05:42 PM
Wow! Ehhhhh what are you getting in return for all that work? Tuition? Great horses to ride or do you even have time to ride after mucking out?
I can't stand people being taken for granted and sole charge of 28 horses is having a laugh!
At least tell me that the people you are working for are nice?!