PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Type and Height

Julie23
25th January 2012, 03:53 PM
I have decided I am going to start saving up to buy myself a horse but am not sure what would suit me best. I am 5ft 1 (and a bit) and weigh about 11 stone (don't tell anyone). I am looking for a happy hacker, not interested in competitions and eventing etc. Something that will be calm and sensible, will be suitable for a working livery and of a height that, if I should end up on the ground, I would be able to get back on again. I was thinking between 14 and 15 hh and was going down the cob route. However, a recent magazine article suggested I should look at a narrower type horse in order to get the best out of leg etc. What do people think? I am hoping not to spend more than 1200 for horse and tack. Also, not sure what type would suit my weight. Its all very confusing:confused:

CityLights
25th January 2012, 04:32 PM
A slightly slimmer type would be easier for you to get your leg on etc but ti depends what you like ultimately, when you ride other horses what do you feel happiest and most comfortable on, personally i dont think anything too narrow but i am rather tall. I would perhaps look at some native ponies, fells dales, welsh d and connie all are nice heights for someone your size hardy and good to keep without being very heavy like some cobs,

Anni~Bell
25th January 2012, 04:37 PM
I'm 5ft 3, 11 and a half stone and I have a 14.1hh Gypsy Cob. He takes up my leg nicely and we suit each other well (I think?). You havne't said if you ride at a riding school or not but it might be worth going there to try a few different horses out to see which one suits you best :)

Julie23
25th January 2012, 04:46 PM
I ride a variety at the riding school and have found that a shire cross was too wide but all others have been fine. Not so keen on the choppy gait of some ponies. Favourite so far is a 15.2 hh coloured horse who, I suppose, would be considered a light weight cob. Unfortunately, she is already owned by somebody and not available. :(

Brithdir Barrd
25th January 2012, 07:11 PM
Im 5ft7 and a half, and 10 and a half stone, and ride a 14.1h.h. coloured cob. He is quite wide, but not as chunky as some heavy weight cobs you see. He suits me well, good at hacking on roads, sensible, jumps little heights and good at schooling, he is only 4yrs old, so havnt done much with him, but saw a lorry today and was excellent.

I had a welsh section D 14.1h.h. bay for 7yrs and then loaned him out, as got as far as i could and wanted a younger one to start again. Bought something totally opposite a 1 and a half yr old appaloosa. Very narrow like a thoroughbred and NUTS!!!!! I did change him though, but sodl him at 2 and a half as wasnt my sort of horse, had no personality to me. So went back to a cob.

eeek
25th January 2012, 07:24 PM
I highly recommend a new forest pony - they're great and if I ever got out of Racing that's what I'd have. I am 10 to 11 stone and 5'8 and ride a friend's stocky 13.2 NF. He is v strong and doesn't struggle with my weight at all. I don't even feel tall on him and don't look ridiculous in photos either. Something like that would be ideal for you. They're v easy and cheap to keep, have nice comfy paces and are great all rounders with huge characters. For your budget you may struGgle to buy a nice safe experienced cob + tack etc(unless prepared to compromise on age or something else), but you'd certainly find a good NF within that price range.

Good luck and keep us updated - we all love following the hunt for a horse!

fairyfeet
25th January 2012, 07:48 PM
With the price you want to pay, most cobs,dales and fells will be out of your range unless there is something wrong with them or getting on in years.
I love New Forest and they can turn their hoof to anything, are normally calm and sensible, up to carrying weight and they go up to 14.2 which is plenty big eough for you.
As you want something as a working livery they would fit in great. They tend to be cheaper than most of the other larger natives and can be very cheap to keep, very hardy and very trainable too. They tend to be calmer than a lot of connies and welshies which could also be a bonus.

fougere
25th January 2012, 07:53 PM
Well, of course I agree with eek.:) I'm 5'2" and have a 14hh New Forest pony. He's quite chunky, but not too wide. He feels quite horselike in his gait, forward going and doesn't have choppy pony strides. He covers the ground well and my friend's selle francais used to struggle to keep up when in walk.:D
He's cheap to keep too as he's a good doer and light on shoes too.

Of course, my opinion might be slightly biassed.:cheekywink:

clippi
25th January 2012, 08:35 PM
I'm 5ft 1 and a half. Clippi is 14.3 arab, and we fit each other well. I used to ride and look ok on my friends welsh d x tb that was 15hh and my old loan 15.3 arabx who was very narrow. Once I start getting on things bigger than 15.3 I just look silly

Grey Haven
25th January 2012, 09:21 PM
Another vote for new forest! My boy is around 14,2hh and very wide. I'm 5'7" and 10.5 stone and he's fine with me.

Everyone here will tell you how I fretted he would be too small but he rides a lot bigger!!

Julie23
26th January 2012, 08:19 AM
I had thought of a New Forest as used to ride one when I started out. Back then I was a lot lighter than I am now, too much good living sneaked up on me somewhere! I had thought I was too heavy but from what you are saying one that is about 14 hh may well suit.
The horses at the stables are always for sale and there are two there which may be suitable, not sure of what breed but I know one was purchased for around 800 and is highly schooled. He used to do point to point. Maybe I will ask about the two the stables have and spend some time with both of them, then if I decide I like one of them will ask about having it on loan for a couple of months to make sure it suits me when I am on my own. After that, if still happy, I could splash the cash. Will speak to the lady on Saturday when I have my third jumping lesson in my effort not to panic at the sight of anything slightly larger than a small log in the forest. Will also do some browsing to see what New Forest's are out there. Will keep you posted.

Grey Haven
26th January 2012, 08:39 AM
Lovely Julie - we all love a horse search on here! Good Luck!

My Crazy Clan
27th January 2012, 03:40 PM
I was going to say New Forest, they are great.
But if you can I would loan, or loan with view to buy.

Julie23
1st February 2012, 12:14 PM
Am leaning towards a cob. Whenever I look at horses for sale they are always the ones I look at. However, someone at work has just told me that cobs are prone to leg problems. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, she said that my new best friend will be the vet with any new horse as, until they settle in, they will be forever hurting themselves. This can't be true can it? :scared:

My Crazy Clan
1st February 2012, 12:56 PM
Rubbish, you get get leg problems with any horse!

Some horses taker to need surroundings very easy but some do take a while to settle but thats not to say they will hurt them selfs.

eeek
1st February 2012, 01:32 PM
I've never heard that cobs are prone to leg problems - unless you are expecting them to do the work of a warmblood or TB which they just aren't designed for. I would say a cob would be perfect for you, but you may need to save up for a bit longer than you hoped to get a good one.

Having one on loan with view to buy is a very good idea. Just one word of warning, if you're buying a horse from a riding school, its personality could change when you take it out of the riding school environment. RSs are very controlled environments for horses and sometimes when they discover (or rediscover) the freedom of a private home - and aren't worked so hard - they think 'woohoo!' and can become a bit sharper than you expected.

Also an ex Point-to-Pointer is perhaps not the best choice for a first-time owner. He will have spent his formative years galloping at 4 foot jumps, and old habits die hard! Of course some ex racehorses are very quiet but they are the exception rather than the rule, and even so they can surprise you.

Julie23
1st February 2012, 03:29 PM
I am expecting to have to spend a bit more than I originally thought but it is better to wait and get a life long companion that jump in and buy something unsuitable.

The point to pointer is not for sale so I can't be tempted there.

Am going to start a new thread to get peoples experiences of first horses, good and bad.

lil_legs
2nd February 2012, 08:37 AM
You can get smaller cobs, Arfur is a good one to demonstrate the smaller cob, he is still technically a pony, isn't massively chunky but chunky enough and lovely and safe. But within your price range you won't find one already up and going or that doesn't need alot of work unless it is getting on in years, but even then a good cob can hold onto their money. It is quite a sought after breed, especially with the finer lines producing "prettier" heads nowadays.

In your price range, I would look at a NF aswell, they are an incredible breed, they can be happy enough to plod along as a hack and gentle schooling but they can turn their hooves to anything and really try their hearts out so if you do ever feel as though you want to go on and do any more.

Hairy Fairy
9th February 2012, 01:37 PM
I had thought of a New Forest as used to ride one when I started out. Back then I was a lot lighter than I am now, too much good living sneaked up on me somewhere! I had thought I was too heavy but from what you are saying one that is about 14 hh may well suit.

Too heavy for a Forrester at 11 stone?? Heavens no!! I have seen New Forest Ponies being ridden by full grown men much heavier than you and they will happily go for hours out on the forest without batting an eyelid.

My first pony was a full up 14.2 new forest and she was brill...could turn her hooves to anything and had a hell of a jump on her. You can't go far wrong with a new forest as a first pony. (IMO)

Jill
9th February 2012, 09:22 PM
I would always go for a cobby type for a first horse. This is not to say that the perfect horse for you might be a completely different breed - a placid TB, a laid-back Arab, they do exist and I am not suggesting otherwise. But cobs do tend to be fairly level-headed and sensible, which is confidence-giving; and generally they are good doers and easy to look after in every way; they have something of the pony character, I think, whilst being full-sized horses that can jump and have good paces.

Or a New Forest - I read in a horse book by an old-fashioned and very experienced horseman that these are ideal ponies for children who didn't want to grow out of them too quickly, whilst being big enough for the parent to jump on if they needed to. The point being that if they are safe for a child they will be safe for an adult, too.

I don't know what the market is like at present - quite depressed I would have thought - but even so you will probably need to save up more than you think you will. You may have to buy new tack - often it's sold with the horse but that doesn't mean it's the right tack for him and you may find yourself replacing it pretty soon. And allow yourself something for insurance (3rd party as a minimum), transport and so on.

Julie23
14th February 2012, 08:34 PM
Thank you for all of your advice. Now all I have to do is stick the pennies away. Will let you know when I start looking seriously.

stepbystep
14th February 2012, 09:35 PM
Others have given great advice! Good luck in your search! How exciting! :)

Julie23
28th February 2012, 04:15 PM
What does everybody think of Halflingers?

Ambers Mum
28th February 2012, 06:44 PM
Fofo and Horse mad mum are very experienced Haflinger peeps, the impression I have always had is that they can be a bit of a handful for a first horse, but they can tell you more.

A connie x tb! That was my first pony and I owned her 28 or 29 years (just been pts), everyone on those I have meet have had the brains and dependability of a Connie with the forward going bit of of a tb. You can get them from 13hh to 15hh + I am 5'4" and weight just under 11 stone and I was still riding her last year.

New forests are fab but ours is a little narrow for me although she can carry me well enough I feel she is like a razor lol.

I also have a fab section D she's 14.3hh they are lovely horses but again very intelligent and like most welshes can take the mick if you aren't firm with them.

I cant ride anything any bigger than 14hh really because I can't reach the stirruops with my short legs even on a mounting block lol

lil_legs
1st March 2012, 09:09 AM
Haflingers are alright if you can be confident in.your ability. They can be strongwilled and certainly have their own ideas on things.

They are also very confident and can have a good go at anything. I love them, Piggy was my friends haffy, she had her very own attitude, she knew what she wanted and if she thought for a moment shebhad the upper hand of you you had no chance to get her to listen.

She would be bargy, and tend to carry on in her own little haffy world, but if you made sure you were consistent with her she could have the best manners in the world.

Julie23
16th March 2012, 11:53 AM
I also like the Norwegian Fjord. Any experience of these. I am riding one tomorrow, should be fun. He is about 14.2 and is normally good though he can be a bit naughty sometimes - trying to go a different way than you want him to etc.

Ambers Mum
18th March 2012, 04:16 PM
my friend has a fjord, she is lovely and really looks after my friends daughter. they can be 'strong willed' but from what she has said they are good fun xx