PDA

View Full Version : Tri-coloured or skewbald?

scewae
28th January 2012, 07:37 PM
Is there such a thing as tri coloured? My mare is skewbald with black in her mane. She also has a big black patch just above her hock too. Along with some roaning on her brown patches. So is she still classed as a skewbald?

Madoldbat
28th January 2012, 07:39 PM
My understanding is that anything other than black and white is skewbald, but guaranteed wrong!

ness
28th January 2012, 07:43 PM
When I bought kissie, she was advertised as Tri coloured, as she is brown and white with a black mane and tail-but I tend to describe her as a skewbald!

CautionToTheWind
28th January 2012, 07:56 PM
Holly has black in her mane and some little darkish spots above her hooves. I just call her skewbald :)

micki
28th January 2012, 08:07 PM
They are actually just called skewbald as the definition is any colour and white except black. Danser is a skewbald with black points and black in her mane and tail, i do tend to say that she is a tri coloured as it describes her better but for showing her she was a skewbald.

BEX101
28th January 2012, 09:33 PM
When they sat tri coloured they are just a bright bay who is also coloured. If you think of a bay with black points AND white patches = 3 different colours.

lil_legs
29th January 2012, 10:07 AM
Alfie is a tri coloured as he is a bay and white with black points.

CityLights
29th January 2012, 12:29 PM
My understanding is that anything other than black and white is skewbald, but guaranteed wrong!

traditionally that was right but theres loads of new fancy terms that people use instead

to me its all the same thing and i dont really care what they use, i dare say a pally and white or chestnut and white arent tri coloured, tri meaning three, so tri would be like the bay and white and the dun and whites

scewae
29th January 2012, 04:13 PM
Thank you, some interesting replies. So i'm guessing my girl could be classed as tri coloured then.

My Crazy Clan
2nd February 2012, 03:30 PM
Alwys thought Tri coloured means the horse has 3 didn't colours in their mane, white, black and brown i think.