PDA

View Full Version : how much would you adjust the price for...

classic astra
28th October 2009, 09:11 AM
splints?

ive put cj on horsemart and ive got to take into account he has two splints, so he wont go to the top showing, but he is good in every other way and they've never caused him any problems.

just wondering what you thought

helena
28th October 2009, 11:03 AM
Depends on the age of the horse, the severity of the splints, and say if he's a show horse and can't go to the top what other strings does he have to his bow?

Also depends why the splints have been caused, if it's due to overwork/strain it would decrease the price significantly, as if the horse has been overworked whilst young there are likely to be additional problems that will show later in life, such as tendon/arthritic problems.

Biddy
28th October 2009, 11:34 AM
I'd say it would depend on how long he's had them, if they ever cause any problems, but most importantly what you're selling him as. As a show horse it would knock his value quite a bit, as he would most likely be marked down at all levels (I had a hunter who had them - fab chap, and the judges would without fail say 'he'd have won / been 2nd if it wasn't for the splint') - we'd usually end up 4 of 5 places further down. In working hunter it was less of a problem, as it's judged more on performance and paces, but still got dropped down the order occasionally. As a competition horse, as long as he's sound and they've settled - he's had them a while - then it sholdn't drop much. To be honest, if you're selling him for performance and they are no problem, I wouldn't mention them in the advert, but be honest and point them out when people come to look. If you put anything in an ad most people will either pass it by or expect to knock the price right down - and most people will think the problem far worse than it is. If you're selling for showing, then yes, say 'minor blemish' or whatever, in the ad.
Just as an afterthought, Calvin my hunter did 'lose' his splints after a few years, but then he was only 2 when he got them (summer of hard ground, heavy fast growing horse - never done a bit of work in his life, just one of those things).

XenaWarriorPrincess
28th October 2009, 11:45 AM
Agree with the others, depends how big, how they were caused ect.
I would mention them in the ad - i would be so ****** off if i turned up to see a horse which had splints which werent mentioned in the ad!

My Crazy Clan
28th October 2009, 12:14 PM
Agree with the others, maybe put photos of them in the add.

ps: I didn't know he was up for sale!

Tiaki
28th October 2009, 01:44 PM
Think I missed something. I thought you were keeping CJ?????

Agree with others, make sure you put about splints in the advert. He's quite young isn't he and not really in work, or am I thinking of someone else?? Do you know how he got the splints??

xxx

Loony
28th October 2009, 03:00 PM
Why are you selling him?? I thought he was your project?

classic astra
28th October 2009, 07:32 PM
im not sure how he got them, but i havent had many calls so i havent put it in the ad and everyone that has called an emailed i have told them about them. i spoke to the farrier and he said the ground has been so hard hes not suprised he has if he canters around which he has been a bit over the summer. he was up for 1500 origionally and i think i should reduce it but not sure to what. hes 14.1 and 3 years and is good in everyway and has been partly backed but not fully broken.

Tiaki
28th October 2009, 07:35 PM
To be honest, a 3yr old, with splints, partly backed, coming into winter AND the fact horses are just not selling at the moment, I think 1500 is way too much. The most I would personally pay for him, if I am totally honest wouldn't be anymore than 500.

There are plenty of ready to go horses on the market for around 1k

xxx

My Crazy Clan
28th October 2009, 08:02 PM
I thought he was younger?

classic astra
28th October 2009, 08:09 PM
he just turned 3, he was a late foal

ktsval
29th October 2009, 01:59 AM
If he hasnt had the splints long then there may be a chance he could still reabsorb them. A 3 year old I helped with last summer got 1 and it had disappeared after the winter.
My own mare (12 yrs) developed 1 this year most likely due to a bad knock it was the size of a marble and clearly visible to the eye and now you have to feel for it. If you can, given the current economy and horses not selling well anyway I would keep him over winter with no work and reassess in the spring!

helena
29th October 2009, 09:47 AM
I would agree for a recently backed 3 year old 1500 is too much.

I would advertise at about 750 and be prepared to be knocked down 100 or so.

classic astra
29th October 2009, 09:59 AM
well im gonna hang on a bit longer untill i drop his price that much, ive had one woman really interested in him, and isnt bothered about his splints as theyve caused him no problems. hes never been lame or sick or sorry since ive had him and im not in a major major rush, but id rather him go before xmas ideally

My Crazy Clan
29th October 2009, 12:26 PM
Go with that lady if she sounds alright for him, what will she be planing to do? As long as shes doesn't rush him hes still a baby really.

classic astra
29th October 2009, 03:33 PM
shes gonna leave him for the winter then back him properly in the summer and then eventually hunt him lightly and do some local shows.