PDA

View Full Version : Riding school ponies

Pie_x
10th February 2012, 09:06 PM
Who was your favourite riding school horse/pony? Or alternatively, what was the first horse you rode that taught you everything there is to know?

Mine was a strawberry roan gelding called Lucky. He was easy in his late teens or twentys when I started riding him. Not the best looking pony, yet in my eyes he could do no wrong or get no cuter! I loved him, was literally obsessed with this pony he meant so much to me. Was a total grump (old age I guess), ears flat back at the girth being tightened or if you were to enter his stable, though it was all an act because soon as you ignored him and got close he was an angel. He looked after me when I began to get competent at riding, though I made some dreadful mistakes he would forgive me. I trusted him totally until I took him in intermediate jumping (erm yes hell of a long time ago!) we're he dragged me round the show jumps, over jumping and seriously strong I just fell off and he stood on my thigh :o but then stopped, poor pony! Lol.

He was my absolute dream, if a girl could ever want a pony it was Lucky. How I wish we could of met in a different life that gave us more time together. Sadly he passed away. I have beautiful photographs of him but not on the computer, off an old fashioned camera and I can't scan the pictures in. I will never forget Lucky chuck egg. We came 2nd to last out of loads in best turned out, but he was such a gentleman, grumpy as he usually was, when I was plaiting him he stood there like a beaut, enjoying every minute. My precious boy! Rip Lucky boy.

Please share your memories and pictures if you have any :). Let's remember the ponies that taught us well.

Burnie
10th February 2012, 09:25 PM
What a good idea for a post! :D

My favourite riding school horse was a bay TB called Roscoe. He was very quiet in the school with a canter like a rocking horse, but out on a hack he was something else as they didn't get to go out much!

He would cavort about and I remember once having a flat out gallop on him, the instructor told me just to let him go as he would know where to stop and to trust him. I think it's the first time my eyes streamed from the speed and it was awesome!! :p

After that I was hooked on TBs :love: Sadly I found out that after I'd left the riding school, he had been kicked in the shoulder and had to be PTS :( But I owe a lot to him!

fofo
10th February 2012, 09:29 PM
My favourite, when I was about 14, was a bay pony with no white markings at all, about 13hh, called Kazai. He looked like a small Arab, very fine. He taught me to love a good blasting gallop. He was very fast and I loved him.

Second was a couple of years before I got Stan. She was a grey Arab called Bella. I used to go on the 2 hour hacks every sunday morning and i always rode her. She was another one who galloped like the wind and she bucked constantly as she went. She taught me a secure seat and a love of speed.

I have always wanted an Arab horse. :)

injioho
10th February 2012, 09:49 PM
Oooh loving this thread! Mine has to be, without a doubt my Murphy. He's an absolute star and looked after me and helped me regain my confidence after it was literally in pieces. He was the first horse I ever formed a bond with and he's been the most special thing to me ever since I met him 7 or so years ago.
He'bb in in his twenties now and his workload has got the better of him. Because he's such a schoolmaster he's used far too heavily with far too many novices and he's now suffering because of it. He's not the bright happy pony he used to be and it's really gutting. (you can see in some of the pics how the spark has gone). School owner is adament that she won't sell him :( I've always said if I win the lottery he's coming to live his retirement out in peace with me and Scooby
He'll always have a special place in my heart, can't describe how much I love this little horse!

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt129/injioho/kdsfvkbhsdfb.jpg

Modelling one of the many headcollars I bought him!
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt129/injioho/Murfyyy.jpg

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt129/injioho/3710338494a5189849309l.jpg
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt129/injioho/3710338494a9540040773l.jpg
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt129/injioho/DSC00718.jpg

noonoo
10th February 2012, 11:50 PM
Fozzybear, of course :D xxxxx

eeek
10th February 2012, 11:56 PM
He would cavort about and I remember once having a flat out gallop on him, the instructor told me just to let him go as he would know where to stop and to trust him. I think it's the first time my eyes streamed from the speed and it was awesome!! :p

You have just described Vinny to a T :).

Vinny also leaps into a gallop so fast that you risk falling off the back if you're not careful.

I never really formed a close relationship with a RS pony as I was never a regular at any particular stable. I do remember many ponies that I rode and enjoyed, but none of them stand out particularly.

lil_legs
11th February 2012, 08:33 AM
Flora for me. She was a little cremello pony, 13hh at the most.

Nervous as hell, but as long as she had the lead horse to follow you could put any of yhe ddots on her and she looked after them and did her job.

When I worked there she wad one of mine to look after and we soon got a strong bond, and when the other girls took their hacks out they all wanted to ride the bosses horse but I stuck with flora. During the week the ponies didn't get as much work so I used to ride them and flora started letting me take her up front. In ths end the majority of the rides I took out were on her.

She taught me to ride, looking after me as a beginner and then teaching me to have the confidence to go on a bit further and wait to have a canter and then eventually leave her til last before cantering down to the others, something I was told would never happen.

And I taught her to have confidence in someone. I felt terrible for leaving the yard because i was leaving her but had no choice. Properly miss that pony, not even sure she is still around now.

Our bond became noticeable when the boss let her have a holiday, all the ponies would have a holiday in the summer for a couple of weeks in the big field but flora always lost out because she wasnt catchable.

The boss had noticed how I could go into the field at home and get her in if needs be and so she chanced it. Off she went for 2 weeks in a 20 acre field, 2 weeks later I went out and got her back in pretty much straight away.

Loves that pony, not sure if there are any pictures of us there must be sonewhere.

VickyF
11th February 2012, 09:07 AM
My favourite was Milan a new forest gelding i learn't a lot on him.I enjoyed my weekly canter down the lane on him but they sold him in the end,don't know why.We all rode to Friezeland arena and did a comp.It was dressage sheet number 7 and i got 75% i think i was about 7 or 8.Here is me and Milan

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab299/Vicky-F/Old%20horsey%20pics/StamfordRidingStables.jpg

Ambers Mum
11th February 2012, 05:49 PM
We were talking about this today at Pony Club and my friend has realised where I get my love for chestnut ponies from! My fave was a beautiful chestnut gelding called Woodstock Briar, he was 14.2hh and I was in love before I ever rode him. Sadly I was a dot and only was ever allowed one lesson on him as I was way too small but that pony was so handsome and I loved him to bits. I rode lots of their ponies over the years but he was the one I loved most and a little black mule looking pony called Hazey, wholooking back was the spit of Mony as a foal!

honeybee
11th February 2012, 08:27 PM
Little 12.2 grey mare called Mistic! She's the grumpiest little madam I know but that always worked in my favour because noone else liked riding her. Had my first canter, jump, gallop & 'proper' hack on her. I'm lucky because although I was tall on her for a lot of the years I was riding there I've never weighed a lot so can get away with sticking to the littlies :)
Really she's a mini version of Hamish, pulls all the faces but would never mean to hurt you & knows all the old tricks until you really learn how to ride. I owe a lot to that pony, she gave me my confidence back after a bad fall jumping & probably taught me to sit tight better than any of the others at the RS with her little quirks!
She's still kept at the RS but isn't used in any lessons now, I've told the guy who owns it that if he ever can't keep her she's coming to me whether he likes it or not!

zoeee
11th February 2012, 08:52 PM
Mine was a little palomino called Rupert, he was an absolute star! I was quite young, think he was around 14hh, and so much fun. I loved him because he seemed to like me, we used to have group lessons and they always put me on him because I was the only one he didn't charge off with or buck off. Loved him to pieces, we won all the little competitions and races (even the bending poles), and he had such a great personality. We moved to just around the corner from the riding school a few years ago so I've been able to ride past and wave to him and its been lovely seeing him. Sadly I recently found out he's been pts, don't know why as he wasn't old :( Very sad but glad I got the chance to talk to him again in my 'older age', I spent most of my childhood talking about him and how he would one day be mine! Little superstar x

fougere
12th February 2012, 05:13 PM
Mine has to be Red. A chestnut new forest pony of about 13hh and the same sort of build as Bracken.
I met Red after a break from riding during Uni. I was 20. Usually it was just the riding school owner and I that went out together on my monthly treat of a 2 hour hack in the forest.
Often we were out for longer tha the 2 hours and had a blast galloping across the forest.
Red had done traditional point to point in his youth and was so footsure and willing. Fantastic pony. :)

I think it must have been him that led me to look at NFs when I got Bracken.

amandaxx1
16th February 2012, 10:18 AM
I learned to ride on a lovely cob called Blue who has a wall eye. He was really sweet and lazy, and I loved him!!!

Then obviously later on in life it was Bertie, and you know the rest .... :)

Meeny Miny Mo
16th February 2012, 11:00 AM
Oh wow ive got so many!

The first pony I ever rode at a riding school was a NF gelding called Ben, I must have only been about 6 or 7. I ended up being my brother's fave!

I learnt to canter on a little thelwell style pony of palomino called Goldie (surprise surprise) she was a little round barrel that would drag you to the nearest grassy spot or bush haha

My heart belonged to Shogun, a 13.2 flea bitten grey pony who was my world, he taught me to jump, to gallop, to have fun. He was amazing. Was so upset when he was PTS

My Crazy Clan
20th February 2012, 07:36 PM
First horse I was properly taught on was a Welsh Section C, called Jake! you might have seen photos of him previously, I also broke him in, obviously needed to do this first :lol:

Sat on one riding school pony, he was hit on the arse but the instructed and cantered off, wue me almost coming on....first leasson ever, never again.

Everything I know I taught myself.

north-mcqueen
27th February 2012, 10:56 PM
When I started riding as a kid, it was Paddy who taught me everything I knew! He was a big gentle cob, a little lazy at times but an absolute saint. I adored him :)
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/216001_4507203004_509313004_86601_9999_n.jpg

When I started riding again about 3 years back, it was Toffee that taught me how to ride all over again and gave me all my confidence back- the reason I'm still riding at all today!
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/2140_50857273004_509313004_1443537_8172_n.jpg

chescar
28th February 2012, 07:36 AM
Troy of course!

Mythical
1st March 2012, 08:05 PM
When I was a kid, it was a tiny fleabitten grey called Missy. I know nothing about her other than she owned twin girls who loaned her to the RS. She was brilliant though I only needed to think canter and we were off, think walk and we were walking again! Spoiled me rotten she did! :-D

indieflamingo
23rd June 2012, 11:39 PM
Mine is Harvey. He's about 15.2hh though I'm not sure on his breed but he's a very interesting skewbald. He's my favourite because he's a good forward ride and he requires a bit of hard work!
Pictures were taken almost a year ago

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/indieflamingo/386644_2235859623702_451143434_n.jpg

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww342/indieflamingo/382269_2235860663728_1336312222_n.jpg

Guesstimation
24th June 2012, 07:51 AM
I didn't go to a proper rs as such it was a livery yard run by mum's best friend I was taught the basics on Dominic who I adored a little great gelding, then I rode Crispin who I also adored but the real love of my life was lucky a grey mare who was 4 on arrival and I was 12 I always talk about her as if she were mine as although legally she wasn't mum's friend pretty much said she was mine to do as I wished! I rode her through her young years and bucking fun when centering, we flew round jumps at home only pony I've really done that on, we'd disappear for hours hacking out and I'd sit in her stable with her, lie next to her or she'd put her head in my arms and doze off. loved her so much! she was sold when I was 15 I was devastated but I was leaving school and off to be an apprentice jockey lol

it's unlikely she's alive now, I visited her a couple of times in her new home but made me very sad!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/Charmed245/BWLucky.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/Charmed245/Lucky-2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/Charmed245/Lucky-1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b341/Charmed245/LuckyCat.jpg

Bettyboo22
2nd July 2012, 08:26 PM
Mine was a fell pony called 'Jake' unfortunatly he was put down about a month ago due to impaction colic, I adored him so so so much.

clippi
2nd July 2012, 09:14 PM
The 2 that stand out for me are:
Pinky II a strawberry roan who really got me confident riding and jumping
Sultan aka Satan a bay arab who I loved, was wizzy and fast but without having rode Pinks first I would never have been able to get on

Ambers Mum
3rd July 2012, 01:27 PM
I'm surprised I never replied to this but I had three favourites who taught me a lot, they were Bracken, a 13.2hh bay, Crumble same again but with a blaze and Woodstock Briar a 14.2hh chestnut gelding who I only rode once but I think he is the basis for my love all things ginger!!

My most recent RS love of my life is 16.2hh ex-racehorse called Albert and he is the only big horse I have felt safe on in 25 years and I love himXx

racheldee
3rd July 2012, 02:19 PM
This little chap, Beaulieu taught me how to ride! 12.3hh Exmoor pony that was brought by the riding school owner as a foal from the Beaulieu sales, hence the name haha!
He's still alive today in semi-retirement at the stables at the grand old age of 32!

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l552/ninetytwoalways/rachponybeaulieu.jpg