PDA

View Full Version : Horse bullying

Smurf
9th September 2009, 02:26 PM
I need some advice. I have a new pony to accompany Vinnie my youngster. Sapphire has gone , so its Vinnie and Hugo now. Hugo is delightful, a real gem but cannot stick up for himself in any way at all. Vinnie chases him around the field, ears back, looking very bolshy and poor Hugo sprints away, spins on a six pence and looses vinnie at this vinnie stops and continues grazing. They were introduced gradually and at first all was fine but i really dont know what to do. Hugo doesn't have a prize bit of grass Vinnie wants, it doesn't seem to matter what hugo is doing Vinnie will chase him.

They have been together just over a week now, i would think the pecking order has been established and having worked in yards before ive never really noticed horses chasing and chasing each other like Vinnie chases Hugo.

Can anyone recommend any solutions :D

My Crazy Clan
9th September 2009, 07:11 PM
6 boys! I know the feeling, some horses take longer then others to settle.

Sapphire used to put Vinnie in his place? (did you say before?) this littlen is not, so hes making the most of being boss, I would give them another week or so, if no change use electric fencing.

I also find it can be jealousy.

Smurf
9th September 2009, 07:41 PM
Emm- Vinnie is 2.

Rhea - yes Sapphire did put vinnie in his place.

Thanks for the advice, vinnie is being a little ****! I'll see how they get on over the next week and then possibly separate them if things dont inprove. They can be in fields side by side.

vels mum
9th September 2009, 07:53 PM
Lee id just persevere, I think Vinnie will always want to be top of the peking order and once he no longer see's Hugo as a threat hopefully he will accept him as a friend, could he also be blaming Hugo for Saf leaving (perhaps thats a little complex for a horses way of thinking?)