PDA

View Full Version : Sharer for Scooby

injioho
23rd February 2012, 06:32 PM
I've been 'umming and arring' about this for ages but I've finally decided I'm going to advertise for a sharer for Scooby. Selling or loaning are simply not options and never will be so if the worst comes to the worst he will just have to have a reduced workload! Not really sure whether anything will come out of it but I'll give it a go anyway!
With my A levels etc. he's not getting the time that he needs and deserves. He loves being in work and used to be ridden between 4 and 6 times every week when he was fit. He's had a very lazy winter and I'm now starting to bring him back into work and want to look for a sharer to help me out when he's back to full fitness as 3 days a week isn't ideally enough for him.

Basically I need some help! What shall I put in the ad? Where should I advertise? How much should I charge?

I'm planning on offering sharer upto 7 days every fortnight (3 days a week of riding then alternating who sees to him on his day off)
They will be able to do a bit of everything with him - Schooling hacking, jumping etc. and will have the chance to come to a few shows with us in the summer.
He lives out 24/7 so I can't ask for them to do any chores so would like them to contribute a bit towards his keep seeing as they're getting to enjoy him!

Any help much appreciated, I dont have a clue!!

fofo
23rd February 2012, 08:10 PM
I hope you find that special person to share Scooby. He is a lovely gentle boy.

I would try adverts in local tack shops to start with and more or less put what you have written here ^^.

Catg
23rd February 2012, 08:22 PM
Sounds good. What facilities are available? So when you say schooling and jumping do you have a school and jumps available? Is he on grass Livery then? x

CautionToTheWind
24th February 2012, 01:26 AM
Sounds like a great idea. If I'd owned Holly long I reckon I would have put her out on loan during my A levels, as she's just not getting ridden at the moment and its terrible.

I would advertise locally first, just because then you chance getting someone you semi-know.

Then if that doesn't work, I would put an add on preloved, ad trader or equine adverts. They're all good ones with a loaning section. I got Holly thanks to preloved!

I don't know too much about Scooby, but an ad along the lines of:
"Sharer wanted 3 days a week
I am looking for a sharer for my lovely skewbald gelding Scooby. He's 100% in all ways, and the sharer would get him up to 3 days a week with the option of hacking, schooling or jumping with a few shows in the summer. He lives on grass livery so there are no chores to be done, although I would like a contribution to his upkeep plus his shoes every X weeks. He is up for share through no fault of his own, I just can't give him the time he deserves at the moment due to other commitments."
Would be brill.

I would probably ask at least 20/25 a week for him due to the fact that the sharer would only be riding him which is a great deal! No chores!

I hope you find someone suitable! :)

injioho
24th February 2012, 01:23 PM
I hope you find that special person to share Scooby. He is a lovely gentle boy.

I would try adverts in local tack shops to start with and more or less put what you have written here ^^.

Thank you Jane, I'm pretty sure he'll tell them himself if he doesn't like them :lol:

Sounds good. What facilities are available? So when you say schooling and jumping do you have a school and jumps available? Is he on grass Livery then? x

Yeah we have an outdoor arena with a couple of jumps and a jumping field with more jumps in. Yes he's on grass livery :)

Sounds like a great idea. If I'd owned Holly long I reckon I would have put her out on loan during my A levels, as she's just not getting ridden at the moment and its terrible.

I would advertise locally first, just because then you chance getting someone you semi-know.

Then if that doesn't work, I would put an add on preloved, ad trader or equine adverts. They're all good ones with a loaning section. I got Holly thanks to preloved!

I don't know too much about Scooby, but an ad along the lines of:
"Sharer wanted 3 days a week
I am looking for a sharer for my lovely skewbald gelding Scooby. He's 100% in all ways, and the sharer would get him up to 3 days a week with the option of hacking, schooling or jumping with a few shows in the summer. He lives on grass livery so there are no chores to be done, although I would like a contribution to his upkeep plus his shoes every X weeks. He is up for share through no fault of his own, I just can't give him the time he deserves at the moment due to other commitments."
Would be brill.

I would probably ask at least 20/25 a week for him due to the fact that the sharer would only be riding him which is a great deal! No chores!

I hope you find someone suitable! :)
Thank you CTTW :) I do think it'll benefit us both at the minute. He can have more time spent with him and I can concentrate more on my work without having to force myself to ride more than I really can manage at the minute. Very helpful answer for ad advice, thanks x

lil_legs
24th February 2012, 01:42 PM
I think its a good idea too. It's not forever and the next couple of years at school are important and hard work so a sharer will take some of he pressire off.

Catg
24th February 2012, 01:46 PM
excellent! make sure you mention the facilities because they're always a bonus :)

On the financial side you need to work out how much he costs you per week and then sharer, if having him 3 days per week, shouldn't really be expected to pay more than half at the most.

injioho
24th February 2012, 01:50 PM
excellent! make sure you mention the facilities because they're always a bonus :)

On the financial side you need to work out how much he costs you per week and then sharer, if having him 3 days per week, shouldn't really be expected to pay more than half at the most.

That's what I was thinking Cat. If we're sharing the riding equally surely we should share the cost equally? He's very low maintenence to keep anyway and I'd obviously still pay his insurance as they will need their own insurance to be able to ride him anyway.