PDA

View Full Version : Independent horses

fofo
10th March 2012, 03:10 PM
I have moved on form a horse (Stan) who was very insecure, needed a trusty leader and panicked when taken away from the herd to a horse (Teg) who thinks for herself, is happy to be on her own and is quite self-secure so doesn't look to anyone else for her decisions.

This doesn't necessarily make her braver than Stan. He took his bravery from me and trusted that if I said it was okay then it was and he would face the world.

Teg makes her own decisions. She reacts first, then decides what to do. Mostly she faces her fears with a little encouragement but it is on her terms.

Its early days. Although I have had her for 6 months today we are still very early on in our riding because most of those 6 months were dark wet and stormy.

So, what is you horse like?

Dependent?

Independent?

Do you approach riding in a different way with an independent horse?

fofo
10th March 2012, 03:12 PM
Or is this partly to do with the fact that Stan was a gelding and Teg is a mare? :lol:

ROWEY!
10th March 2012, 03:18 PM
Barbie's a mare and she's another who's happy on her own and will decide for herself whether something is safe to do with encouragement or whether it's just gonna kill her no matter what I say. I see her as being rather independant, even when I've just played with her in the school where other horses I know will follow you like a dog she will go and have a look around for herself and then come over when she's good and ready, and run around with you only if its a game rather than for reassurance.

fofo
10th March 2012, 03:23 PM
Right! That is very interesting Rowey because Stan was a Haflinger like Barbie. They are very people-centred horses.

I think its a mare thing then. :rolleyes: :lol:

ROWEY!
10th March 2012, 03:30 PM
Barbie definitely loves her people, more than she loves other horses. She's very independant but will always come back for a cuddle once she's had her look around. She has recently taken to falling asleep with her nose shoved against my chest when I stroke her face, bless. But yes, maybe it is a mare thing since its more the geldings I know that are worriers..

Guesstimation
10th March 2012, 03:32 PM
Tigger is a bit of both! He is quite independent in the field, he's not really been left but when he has briefly he's not panicked, he took me out for walks in hand and now hacking despite being green and just starting he's storming out in front! If something spooks him though its then that he turns to me and as long as I reassure him he'll deal with most things, in fact not sure we've ever had something he won't go past or needed to much convincing just we might go past a bit speedy! He will panic though if something does happen and he has no "support"

He does enjoy a fuss too and always comes over in the field wiggling his nose!

Guesstimation
10th March 2012, 03:37 PM
I should add that a Welsh d mare I had was the total opposite! Really nervy, didn't want to go out, couldn't be left alone. Weaved when stables or even tied up. She would go past spooky things but properly spooked!

IcarusGirl
10th March 2012, 03:38 PM
Icarus is definitely NOT independent! He needs encouragement every second, and if for one second you forget to tell him he's a good boy while he's working then he'll worry and get stressed. He really does try to be good, but the more he worries, the more it goes out of the window! :lol:

My Crazy Clan
10th March 2012, 04:20 PM
Takes a while for them to get hacking out on their own when they have had copany but we always get there in the end.

Jester listens to me 99% of the time, he will walk on when asked.
Sisco nothing normaly fazes him, hes greta on the roads but an arse on the grass but no longer will go out alone, only in comapny, thats with ridden or inhand.
Monty - haven't got far with him yet, hes got too much strength in him if something upsets him.
Magic is happy to go out alone, looks for reasurence in the rider/handler though, panices when you come off sometimes.
Merlin nothing you do really can get into his head, hes scared, having a scared horse is far worse then a naughty horse.
Wizz listens inhand but does spook at silly things

injioho
10th March 2012, 04:52 PM
Scooby's not independent, he's just stubborn!! He can be dependent on me when he wants to be but other times he is SO independent that he's just awkward because even though he won't listen to me, he doesn't usually decide what he wants himself either! He's a funny one :lol:

chelle83
10th March 2012, 08:33 PM
Scooby's not independent, he's just stubborn!! He can be dependent on me when he wants to be but other times he is SO independent that he's just awkward because even though he won't listen to me, he doesn't usually decide what he wants himself either! He's a funny one :lol:

You have described my horse!! :lol:

clippi
10th March 2012, 08:38 PM
As long as I'm there to say 'it's ok' he'll do anything, although since I moved them and Noodle has looked to Clip as chief horse (there's only the 2 of them in the field) CLip has become more independent. he was always down the pecking order in the herd. So I wonder if that has something to do with it

smellycat
10th March 2012, 10:17 PM
My stan is independent, he's happy to leave others, not bothered by anything and never seems to need any encouragement or reassurance. In fact sometimes I think I just get in the way of what he really wants to do!

lil_legs
10th March 2012, 11:10 PM
Jasper is very independant. He has days where he de idea everything is going to eat him but the majority of the time he is very sensible and will face most things.

So far Alf seems to need to feel settled and then he tends to become independent as the ride goes on, and in the end last year was leafing some of pur canters.

fougere
18th March 2012, 05:44 PM
I don't think it's a mare thing because Gemma (TB) was completely dependant on me. She wasn't very brave on her own, but if we were out hacking and came across something frightening, so long as I remained calm and told her it was OK she'd face anything - like the combine harvester that passed us in a single track road with us squeezed in a tiny gateway.

Bracken (NF) is a completely different character. He's bold and independant. He's always been happy to hack out alone and loves exploring new places. His independace can be a right pain if we come across anything he's not sure of - like a log lorry blocking the track when it was being loaded. He had to go right up close to the lorry and watch a few logs being craned on before he was satisfied enough to let me find another route to get around the obstacle. He doesn't listen to me at all and has to work it all out for himself.

Hairy Fairy
19th March 2012, 02:09 PM
Bracken (NF) is a completely different character. He's bold and independant. He's always been happy to hack out alone and loves exploring new places. His independace can be a right pain if we come across anything he's not sure of - like a log lorry blocking the track when it was being loaded. He had to go right up close to the lorry and watch a few logs being craned on before he was satisfied enough to let me find another route to get around the obstacle. He doesn't listen to me at all and has to work it all out for himself.

hehe! That sounds just like my friend's NF gelding.

Bracken wasn't born on the forest was he? If so that could explain things. :)

fougere
19th March 2012, 07:13 PM
Yes, he's forest bred.
He was one of the many at the Beaulieu road sales, from that era, that was destined for the meat-man.

Hairy Fairy
20th March 2012, 09:22 AM
Ah well that would explain it then.....I love forest bred ponies!! I would love another NF pony (my first pony was a NF) just can't afford a third four legged friend. ;)

LindyB
20th March 2012, 09:51 PM
Springers both,hes happy to follow me to the ends of the earth,past buses,tractors,bikes,even plastic killing bags! And in the school he works soundly on his own,with the odd neigh to make sure his gfs ok. BUT if there are other horses in the school,hel go all nappy and argumentative and wont hack on his own or even out in front in an unfamiliar place if im on his back and he has no1 to follow,then back in the field hel glare at me,whinney and head for a nice secluded spot to eat grass..:-\

Meeny Miny Mo
23rd March 2012, 11:08 AM
Puzzle is very secure whereas Henry needs reassurance constantly! he is 13 i think this year but still acts like a baby! He can be extremely nappy and spooky

eeek
25th March 2012, 10:24 AM
With Vinny I always feel that we're on our own little planet, independent of anybody else but in tune with each other. He's incredibly spooky - but only when he's in a playful mood. I don't think he is actually scared of all these things.

Hasty's pretty dependent and needs constant guidance. If you don't tell him to pick his feet up when you go over rough ground, he will trip over them. He's much less spooky than the other trotters but when he does spook you know about it. However he comes back down to earth very quickly with a bit of encouragement.

Megan tries very hard to please you, but is likely to panic at obscure things (I'm still not entirely sure what is setting her off but she clearly thinks it's something pretty bad) and try and bolt. I still feel as if she's suspicious of me when I ride her, just waiting for me to give her a hiding. She is very independent and goes best when she thinks the whole thing has been her idea all along and the rider/driver is just a passenger!

Kilo is fuelled by the admiration of the general public and as long as people regularly run towards him screaming 'AWWWWWW' and fondling his moustache, he is quite happy. He is quite Kevinish when you try to make him do something he doesn't want to do, so I suppose in that sense he is independent (and certainly knows his own mind!).