PDA

View Full Version : Does that inch make alot of difference?

lil_legs
14th March 2012, 07:59 AM
So I am trying very hard to keep my options open. Flynn was 13.3hh although was ok and managed fine, I always thought he would have been 100% perfect if he was an inch or 2 bigger, not that he could help that lol, and the fact he was so perfect in every way meant the height wasn't so bad.

I have been looking at 14hh-14.2hh and that's the limit where the prices seem to hike right up.

Looking at other 13.3hh's seems to keep the price that bit lower. I am not fussed at needing to work or bring something on, both the girls are more than happy to help out with bringing on for now, which is why I am looking at things with potential to turn out like Flynn.

More because I know if I go and look for others that are supposed to be as good as Flynn now I am just going to compare to him, and to be fair I am not going to find the perfect flynn replacement below 1500-2000.

So would that inch matter? Flynn wasn't particularly chunky, he was more than able to work with the girls, and if I am looking at younger things at 13.3hh now that extra inch may well come up anyway.

Opinions?

fairyfeet
14th March 2012, 08:12 AM
Well Max is 13.3 and he doesn't seem to mind being an inch shorter.
Mind you he is a chunky boy, so takes up your leg that way.
Depends on the pony really, and where they are lacking that inch or two.
Max has no withers so with withers he could well have been 14.1!

lil_legs
14th March 2012, 08:29 AM
That's a good point actually FF, Flynn did have withers so although at his withers he might have been 13.3hh he was perhaps only 13.2hh along his back. I have been looking through dragon driving and there are a few on there I like the look of, one coloured 3 yr old stands out to me.

eeek
14th March 2012, 11:05 AM
I don't think it's so much about height as width and bulk!

The other day I stood Megan next to Vinny on a flat surface for the first time and was astonished to discover that they are pretty much the same height - 15.1. Megan is so incredibly slim and light-framed that she rides much smaller than Vinny. Vinny is hardly chunky, but he is the 'boy version' of Megan if you like - much more chest and neck and bum (I think he was cut late).

And Romeo, my friend's NF, is about 13.2hh (maybe 13.3hh at a push) but rides as big as Vinny. I really can't recommend this kind of horse enough. Low maintenance, ballsy, strong, hard working with loads of character... If I wasn't into my trotters I'd have a NF in a flash (in fact it is my retirement plan).

eeek
14th March 2012, 11:06 AM
What's your budget btw? I'll keep an eye open.

lil_legs
14th March 2012, 11:15 AM
Yeah NF or welshy is around what I am looking for. Anything under 1000 preferably not much higher that 800. Which is why I don't mind something yhat needs a bit of work as long as its sensible.

Welly
14th March 2012, 11:20 AM
Oooooh deffo go for a NF, best ponies ever they are!
I really don't think there's much difference between riding a 13.2 and a 14hander.. In fact I rode a finely built arab who was 14.3 on a riding holiday once, followed by a chunky 13.2 the same afternoon, and have to say he rode a lot bigger than the arab.. I'd def not disregard something short and chunky lol xx

lil_legs
14th March 2012, 11:26 AM
I have seen a few things, am.going back again on Saturday to see the other two I saw monday one of which was a cobx Arab which we thought at first was a NF type, she was very sweet and i know the parents so quote keen on her, and a section D which the more I hear and think about it the more I'm leaning away grom it.

But tomorrow I am going to see a 14hh NF well, I day see one known her a good couple of years and shebis perfect but the owner isn't sure if she wants to sell. If she says yes, I will definitely be having her.

Hairy Fairy
14th March 2012, 11:34 AM
Bo is 13.3hh and a welshy x but she rides much bigger than she is. I don't honestly think an inch or two makes much different if they are stockier as they do tend to take up your leg more.

If you are looking for a good yet cheapish NF pony check out the NFED website classified ads. There are always some good NF pony deals on there being based in the Forest and surrounding areas. :)

fairyfeet
14th March 2012, 12:55 PM
I love NFs but maybe i'm biased as my original ponies were all NF and they did me proud.

They are really genuine and adaptable to anything, but without the bolshyness that you often get with welshies.
Tough, strong and easy to keep, won't have a bad word said about them.

Hairy Fairy
14th March 2012, 01:57 PM
Ooohhh...go to the NFED website and check out ad number 72117. If only I was in the position to get another pony! lol

gem
14th March 2012, 02:30 PM
I think *possibly* the reason for the price hike might be down to something like this (I can pretty much guarantee this won't make sense!): 13.2/3 is a kids pony. Supposedly. That's what the majority are anyway. If you're looking for a pony for your child, it won't be bigger than that. 14.2hh could either be a kid's pony, an adult's pony or even a mother/daughter share. They won't be grown out of as quickly and so attract a higher price.

Or that could be a load of rubbish :lol:

Definitely go for something a bit chunky. Saf is 14.2 (ish, she changes throughout the year it seems!) but she rides so much bigger.

Guesstimation
14th March 2012, 02:35 PM
As said I think the missing inch or so really depends on the individual pony and the general build of it. Tigger is 12.3 but to me he really does ride bigger and the other person who has ridden him says the same - he's a good stocky build and has a good stride for a pony. I was worrying about him carrying me once and my friend who was out with us pointed out we'd been out for an hour and he was still striding out leading and trying to jog so he really was not struggling lol!

Back to the question any way, no I don't think the inch matters if the pony is making up for it in other ways!

lil_legs
14th March 2012, 03:23 PM
I think you're exactly right there Gem, which is why i started looking at ready to break ponies. Just looked at that ad, she's gorgeous. Gonna look how far away she is. Because if I pick anything too far I may have to hire a box as Hutch won't drive too far lol.

fougere
18th March 2012, 05:30 PM
Oh she is nice. My friend has a gelding sired by Buckland Dragonslayer. He grew into a nice, chunky type.

My Bracken ,also NF, is possibly 14hh on a good day, but he rides so much bigger. He never felt any different from Gemma who was a 15.2 TB. When I'd swap between the two the only difference was that I didn't have to get my foot up so high to reach the stirrup on Brack.

I hope you don't end up seeing too many wrongly measured ponies. That's the problem I found when looking. I've lost count of the number of 13hh ponies I saw that were advertised as 14hh.