PDA

View Full Version : Going to see a horse for share!

clashfan83
31st March 2012, 12:19 AM
I posted a while back asking for advice on what to do in regards to my situation with Hilly.

Well, I took the sad decision to give her up. She was a lovely, lovely girl but the arrangement just wasn't working for me any more. So actually, now, I haven't ridden since December as I never actually got to ride her at the new place.

Ever since the whole issue came up I've been casually looking on Horsemart and Friday-ad to see if there was anything suitable, just putting a few feelers out.

Today I found an ad for a 15.3hh 11 year old bay TB gelding for part loan. I've exchanged emails with his owner and she wants him ridden 1-2 times a week and wants 40 a month per day so 80 if I did 2 days. This sounds like a good price as down here some people are asking for 35-40 a week and sometimes half the shoeing on top of that!

Any way I'm going to see him on Monday and I'm very excited. I've hardly seen the boyfriend the last few days as we've been on opposite shifts so I still need to tell him about it :lol: But I know he will be happy for me if I have found a nice horsey :)

The yard has a school, jumping paddock and lungeing area so it sounds good in terms of facilities which was part of the downfall when Hilly moved.

Also she says share with possible loan, so, you never know, one day, if I am getting on well...!!

Wish me luck, hopefully the riding will not be toooooo rusty! :o

fell lover
31st March 2012, 07:27 AM
Sounds exciting - hope you like him x

WeeB
1st April 2012, 08:56 AM
sounds good! Hope he turns out to be the one!

Pwincess
2nd April 2012, 12:51 PM
good luck - let us know how you get on x

im still looking!!!!!

Catg
2nd April 2012, 01:33 PM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes :)

eeek
2nd April 2012, 02:26 PM
Good luck! Sounds like it could be great. I'm sure you won't be that rusty - 4 months is not that long out of the saddle. Keep us updated!

clashfan83
3rd April 2012, 08:11 PM
Well, I went to see him. Unfortunately it was not the horse or setup for me.

I got there and introduced myself and my boyfriend to the owner, who must be 18 at most. We went down to the field and she caught him. He was a little ribby and started windsucking on the fence, but I thought hey I'm not buying it needn't be a problem.

So she brought him in, tacked him up, in between mentioned his 'other sharer' and as she was doing so, pointed out a bald patch on his back which she said was becase the saddle didn't fit him properly! Alarm bells started ringing. She said she'd had the saddler out and they had advised her to put a numnah and a saddle cloth underneath as the saddle was too long for his back. At this point I was thinking there is no way I want to ride this animal. But then she said, I will ride him first, then you can get on if you want to.

I thought well she must know him quite well having owned him two years (and she kept telling me she had bought him for 600) so he can't react that badly to having the saddle on him.

I watched her riding him and I thought it was a bit strange that he didn't seem to be particularly moving forwards and tracking up, especially for a thoroughbred. He did seem quite laid back in the field and stable so I thought maybe he is just one of those rare lazy thoroughbreds! Then she said 'I'm just going to pop hiim over a few jumps before I canter because he gets excited'. I wasn't quite sure what she meant by that, but she popped a few 2ft jumps after he'd ran out a couple of times - but it didn't really look like she was driving him forwards. Strange.

He seemed fine to me, didn't buck, nap or do anything 'naughty' and I thought the saddle can't be that bad. So whether it was the right thing to do or not, I decided I would get on and see what he was like.

I rode him for about 15 minutes, but I am afraid I felt a little anxious in a big jumping field rather than a sand school and felt a bit panicked when he rushed in trot. I've not that much experience riding thoroughbreds, and I said there and then to the girl, I'm not sure about this, I'm not sure I'm experienced enough to deal with the rushing (well maybe in a school it wouldn't have been so scarey). I just didn't feel in control and I don't want to take on something that's out of my depth.

I then mucked out her stable as I felt a bit bad for in effect wasting her time. I certainly didn't want her to think I was a 'joy rider'. But thinking about it afterwards and speaking with my boyfriend, trying out a horse is as important to the rider as it is to the owner, and I think a genuine person shouldn't have to worry about being thought of as a time waster.

Afterwards my boyfriend (who is not horsey) said to me he had noticed that when I was riding the horse kept clipping his front shoes with his hind feet. This also rang an alarm bell because the girl said that one of her previous loaners (it sounds like she has had a few!) had 'pulled his front shoes off by riding him so his legs came out too much'. And she then went on to explain the dispute she'd had with her after him going lame and vets bills etc etc., hardly a good advertisement! So she must have bee holding him back when she was trotting round etc to avoid him pulling off a shoe or something, Im sure he must have confirmation faults or something.

It really seemed she was just desparate for money, I know a lot of people keep a horse on a shoe string; I am in no way a snob and I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as the horse doesn't suffer for it. But this girl didn't really seem to care who she has riding him and was actively encouraging me to go back for another ride when I have already said I don't think we're suited (and would not loan a horse with ill-fitting tack). I think if I was in her position I would have had one look at my riding and thought, I want someone more experienced!

So, that's my tale of the part loan horse. I think I may go back for lessons for a bit and feel a little silly for thinking I could go and ride a TB ater a few months off and mostly pootling round with Hilly for the last year!

Cancara
24th April 2012, 07:26 AM
Sorry it didn't work out but I think you did the right thing turning it down (poor horse!). And yes, your bf is exactly right, not a time wasting thing at all. ANYONE considering a sharer should expect to take the time to 'vet' candidates- and whether they decide it's not right or the prospective sharer does, it's just one of those things that has to happen.

Hairy Fairy
24th April 2012, 11:44 AM
You are far from being a time waster. You have been very sensible about the whole thing, more so than the horse owner.

Keep looking and I'm sure the right share horse will come along eventually.

Hels
24th April 2012, 01:20 PM
I agree you weren't time wasting. How can you know if a share is suitable without meeting the horse and owner first?!

I looked at a share a few months ago. I decided it wasn't for me. I have no idea if she considered me a timewaster, neither am I bothered by it if she thinks I was. I never even got to ride the horse as she kept coming up with excuses and yet she wanted me to start looking after him the next day.

Good luck finding something more suitable :)

eeek
24th April 2012, 03:49 PM
You're definitely not a timewaster! A timewaster is somebody who goes to view a horse knowing (or being in denial about something they really ought to know) that they are not in a position to take it on. People who ring up about horses they obviously can't afford or handle are timewasters. You would only be timewasting in this situation if you already knew that the owner was a bit shambolic and subjected the horse to things you wouldn't be happy about, but you went in good faith believing it could work out. The purpose of a visit is to find out whether or not it can work, and you've definitely made the right decision.

Poor horse doesn't sound very lucky. And I suspect the owner could be troublesome in the long run. My guess is he was pulling shoes off due to bad shoeing not bad riding. A good farrier can generally solve these kinds of problems, but it costs money. I have Hasty shod once a month at 60-70 a pop and it isn't cheap but his hooves grow so fast I have no alternative.

Equinox
24th April 2012, 04:33 PM
Goodness what an experience, I can't imagine what that was like, but am glad you had the good sense not to get involved and to trust your instincts. Very best of luck for finding something that suits you!