PDA

View Full Version : sickle hocks

eeek
30th October 2009, 05:41 PM
How serious of a fault is this?

Would you buy a horse with sickle hocks?

What injuries/problems can arise as a consequence of being sickle-hocked?

Your thoughts!

My Crazy Clan
30th October 2009, 05:45 PM
It can be a result of uneven hoof wear, which is incredibly painful for the horse.

It can resusle in permanent lameness.

Have PMed you.

CityLights
30th October 2009, 07:07 PM
i wouldnt have something with poor hock confirmation, its such an important thing in soundness and way of going, where as i can live with a little bit of poor front leg conformation hocks are part of the power house and you need something with good hocks.

any poor conformation will efect soundness long term, strain and stresses on ligtments tendons and even muscles, although some horse have shite legs and never have a problem with anything

JJJ
19th November 2009, 01:50 PM
It depends on the severity of it, a slight sickled hock you could get away with.
Sickle hocks can place strain on the plantar ligament at the back of the hock, resulting in the hock curbing. Sickle hocked horses are also susceptible to bone spavin.

Catg
19th November 2009, 02:27 PM
Hmm this is interesting. I've just done some quick reading up on this and have come to the conclusion that Zeb is sickle hocked, he is also cow hocked.

I'll try and find some more pictures showing it but for obvious reasons I don't have many, I delete the ones where he's standing like a numpty!

http://i601.photobucket.com/albums/tt94/Catghamlin/Zeb.jpg

I suppose it depends on the severity of this conformation fault as to what extend it will effect the horse. Even though Zeb clearly has it he has excellent implusion and we've have had good marks for our medium trot in dressage. He can extend and collect very well in walk trot and canter.

Cat x

easyrider
19th November 2009, 03:05 PM
i dare say if everyone om here posted a good side and front photo we could find something wrong with 80%..or there would be a reason why we would avoid. at the end of the say it depends on what you want it for...my pony is narrow up front, plaits but that has improved with work, hes a nightmare to saddle as he short coupled, he has a splint,, hes hollow necked which again is not as bad, he will never make a dressage horse but he jumps, xc, excellent trec pony, goes all day, lots of stamina, hacks for hours...he will also never be great at showing as conformation not great but i would not swop him, my old pony was cow hocked and i have a ahffy with ringbone, all work at some description so it would not put me off but would depend how bad and what level of work you want to do
remember red rum and ryans son, neither had good confirmation but a bit runty but how they excelled in their sport....dont right off them all

gemma1309
23rd November 2009, 10:54 PM
It wouldnt put me off depending on other faults that it may have. No horse is perfect just like us ask your other half if having horrible knees would have put him off you lol (I can only imagine what mine would say lol) seriously though my boy has Cow hocks (not really noticeable unless lookign for it) but he has Bone spavins which his cow hocks may have not helped or may have been the cause...but he is fortunate enough to only show slight stiffness in winter he still jumps (up to 2ft 6) and does low key comps I know alot of horses which Bone Spavins have put an end to any ridden career I am just fortunate enough my boys have fuesed - would it put me off buying another with cow hocks? posssibly dependign on how bad I remember when I went to see Sasha the first thing I looked at was her hocks, but A minor default would not bother me. I would be more put off in front leg conformation as although back end is power front end takes the majority of weight when jumping (landing etc) I think every horse deserves a look in and once oyur heart is set on something your heart is set no matter the conformation issues.

vels mum
23rd November 2009, 11:15 PM
Sickle hocks - is that when the front feet face outwards?

merlyn26
24th November 2009, 06:59 AM
sickle hocks are a hindleg conformational fault (when the front feet face outwards thats splay footed - or pidgeoned toed when they face inwards) with a good hind leg when looking at it from a side view you should be able to draw an imaginary straight line perpendicular to the ground and the point of buttocks and the whole of the back of the cannon bone from hock to fetlock touch it - with sickle hocks the cannon bone is angled forwards and underneath the horse more - the picture someone else posted shows this very well. - it is also often seen in horses that are also cow hocked.