PDA

View Full Version : What Clippers do you use?

gemma1309
30th October 2009, 10:17 PM
As Dad and step mum decided enough was enough and are buying me clippers for my xmas. As they are not that horsey thay have no idea what kind to buy me and seen as it has been 5 years since I have owned a pair I thought I would ask you guys what you use and what recommendations you would make. basically I want semi lightweight ones (only have little arms lol) to be used i guess medium duty? to do my 2 x Horses twice a year full clips and feathers etc all year round and perhaps a couple of horses on the yard and friends horses when needing clipped. Although my horses are not easily spooked prefer a quiet clipper. Used to have Wolseley ones although not sure what model and I quite liked them although they were rather noisy for my old pony. So come on give me some ideas on which ones to get....

honeybee
30th October 2009, 11:06 PM
Same as BC, Lister libertys!

kirsty1
31st October 2009, 04:38 PM
Same as above, they're fab clippers and relatively quiet too!

chaz666
1st November 2009, 05:38 PM
i have moser artiko clippers with ceramic blades. they are compact and are designed for nervous/sensitive horses, you can hardly hear them and cant feel them vibrating. and the ceramic blades clip around 16 horses before needing to be sharpened whereas the normal blades do around 8 (if i remember correctly, it said when i was looking up the description)

silverbullet
1st November 2009, 06:21 PM
I have Liveryman Arena clippers - don't know if they still make them. Mine are 15 years old. They've done 4 full clips every year since we got them and they have been used for hogging and trimming 2 horses as well.

They still run fantastic and I wouldn't swap them.

eeek
1st November 2009, 08:37 PM
Can I hijack your thread please? (In exchange for link if need be ::)

Just wondering if anybody has used DEXTELLA clippers.
For 99 I can get clippers, one blade, oil, brush AND a trimmer (which comes with mains adaptor). Does this sound good, or too good to be true?
It says it weighs 1200g and the noise is 80.1dB - is this good?
Oh and it comes with a 1 year guarantee.. This sounds all rather good to me but I'm a novice so can somebody advise please?

gemma1309
2nd November 2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah that is fine eeek I would also like to know what peoples views are on dextella as they have come up on my search for a very good deal 89.99 with cordless trimmer it does say under a description somewhere that they are slightly noisier than more expensive brands and they take all Heiniger blades which are rouhgly about 26.00 so interesting can anyone shed some light lol. im sure one of the girls at the yard got deal on clippers I am wondering if these are what she has. Will investigate later. Chaz666 are your clippers the Wahl ones? I have been reading up on Wahl clippers and its interesting that the Avalon version has quick release blade system and the tension is preset-found this quite handy but not sure if the Avalon is the same idea as the one you have as cant find a review on them just that they do 2.5hr clipping off mains and only take 3 hrs to charge, but I like idea of cordless clippers and these seem good but not sure if they will be robust to deal with 5-6 clips a year can you help Chaz?

chaz666
2nd November 2009, 11:03 AM
if you type moser artiko in google search it comes up with some peasridge website where they are on offer at the min and gives description on them there. i did 14 full clips (and hogged 2) with mine so far, i bought them roughly 3 years ago and blades have just gone in for their first sharpening which is 10. mine are the quick release blade's that you litterally just pop on and off, they dont need to be tensioned and it costs the same to have them sharpened as normal blades, however to buy they are slightly more expensive but last longer. the clippers come with the ceramic blades. they arent wahl no but wahl are meant to be very good. my mum is a hair dresser and has wahl clippers (i know its different than using on a horse but hey!) shes had them about 20 years and never had a problem.
i have no experience with cordless clippers as dont know anyone that has any. i dont think it makes much difference if they are have a cord or not.

i personally would spend a little bit more on clippers, as cheaper ones may not last as long so you would probably have to replace them sooner making them more expensive anyway!

but i would highly recommend the moser artiko with snap on ceramic blades as they are smaller and easier to manouver when clipping in difficult area's.

Jess&polo
4th November 2009, 12:59 AM
I have Wahl cordless & liveryman cordless (OH brought Liveryman last xmas for me). My Wahl are really quite & the blades do a full clip x2 on a shetland (legs as well) & i'll also clip the springers with them as well through out the summer before i send the blades in to be sharpened (9 times out of 10 they are still sharp), the blades pop on & off & i did buy a new set for them which cost me 15. The liveryman i've used once since having them & they clip alot more faster than the Wahl (if that makes sense). I think they both do about an hours clipping with full battery & they can also have the cord attached to be used when battery gets low.