PDA

View Full Version : Mending Rugs by Hand

Catg
2nd November 2009, 09:18 AM
Hi guys,

Zeb's lightweight turnout has a small hole in it the size of a fingernail and he has now also managed to completely sever one of the surcingles! :rolleyes: The surcingle was luckily still clipped onto the rug so I do have the other end.

So any hints or tips you have for fixing by hand would be grand. i.e. what type of thread and stitching type to use, are there any rug repair kits that are worth buying etc.

Usually I'd send it off to be fixed but by the time I've paid for it to be washed, reproofed and repaired I might as well buy a new one. I just want to try and make this one last another season if possible.

Thanks in advance :kiss:

Cat x

CityLights
2nd November 2009, 09:48 AM
not sure about putting the circingle back on but small rips and tears can be reapired with a bike pucnture kit or for big rips if you have another rug that is trashed you can cut off patches and use strong fabric glue.

Mobell
2nd November 2009, 02:08 PM
Agree glue patches over holes or rips. A back stitch with very strong cord is probably the best but hard work. My OH's mum repairs mine on an industrial sewing machine she has put many a rug back together that I have given her for using for patches.

Catg
2nd November 2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks girls

My Crazy Clan
2nd November 2009, 07:17 PM
I use patches from other rugs, I use string to stitch it because cotton is crap and won't last very long, also I know it takes a lot longer but if you keep going over and over, it will be so much stronger, I do this every year with mine.
The best needle to use is a thick one, that is like a U shape, its a lot easier to pull through then a normal one.

I tried glue but it didn't stick for long and wasn't as water proof.

Lobelia Overhill
2nd November 2009, 07:57 PM
I repair that damage with plaiting thread...

vels mum
2nd November 2009, 09:22 PM
I use the waxed thread, think its sailors thread, not sure where to get it though I pinched my stuff off mum. Id have a look on ebay.
I love the satisfaction of mending rugs myself!

My Crazy Clan
2nd November 2009, 09:39 PM
I love the satisfaction of mending rugs myself!

I'll come to you next time :pmsl:

vels mum
2nd November 2009, 09:48 PM
Hmmmm Im not that keen!

Bl**dy hate doing it but love seeing the rug all fixed!

My Crazy Clan
2nd November 2009, 10:07 PM
My fingers kill but I suppose normal horses don't wreck their rugs like mine.:rolleyes:

vels mum
2nd November 2009, 10:30 PM
OMG, how did he do that???????

Surely you didnt repair it, must have been a bin job?!

My Crazy Clan
2nd November 2009, 11:03 PM
God knows, they are forever ripping them, Yep I sat there for hours repairing it, I repaired it another 2 times after this and added extra on to it before I finally was defeated :(
I didn't have a lot of choice, he would of had to gone without for the winter otherwise.

Tnavas
3rd November 2009, 05:09 AM
On small holes I use a hot glue gun, glue the edges together. For bigger ones I use parker nylon material glue it behind the rip and then hot glue the edges together. This is great for small rips and corner tears but I really think I won't be able to do anything with my yearlings cover - somehow she has ditched it in a million pieces all around her paddock.

Now I remember why I don't like covering the babies. Thats three down this season.

Catg
3rd November 2009, 08:13 AM
My fingers kill but I suppose normal horses don't wreck their rugs like mine.:rolleyes:

What the *******? hahaha sorry Rhea I have to laugh, only because I'm sat here feeling humble. I went up the yard last night and stuck a bit of duck tape over the hole. Crude but it will have to do till the weekend! And here's me thinking zeb was a rug wrecker lol

Jess&polo
3rd November 2009, 10:56 AM
Glueing is alright as a tempery fix but it does start to peel after a while. The thread you need is "bonded nylon" as its rot proof & rip proof (its the thread they use to make rugs with). The smaller/longer the needle the easier it is to sew with & a pair of pliers help as well.

Catg
4th November 2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks Jess x

My Crazy Clan
4th November 2009, 03:11 PM
Awful isn't it, he went through 3 rugs that year, god knows what they do! and they say horses out 24/7 are not high maintenance!

Jess&polo
4th November 2009, 10:33 PM
Awful isn't it, he went through 3 rugs that year, god knows what they do! and they say horses out 24/7 are not high maintenance!

That is awful about the rugs that have been trashed. If its just the 1 horse that rugs get wrecked on like that then there is a horse that is doing it to him. Looks like the barbed wire is to low in the picture to do it. Try putting some cribbox on the top of his rug & see if that stops it?

My Crazy Clan
5th November 2009, 07:15 PM
Well its normally merlin(the one in the photo) magic and jester that reck their, I have 6 boys and they can be very playful so it could be that, I do have barbwire and lots of tress etc so I'm never going to be able to stop it.

If it happends again I'll try your idea, touch wood they haven't recked them so far.

gemma1309
5th November 2009, 08:44 PM
Hee hee all my rugs that Sasha has had her hooves on are ripped along the butt, buy new rugs every year but decided that I had had enough only J gets new rugs now. i am not very good at sewing, not got the patience but I ise old rugs then cut scraps off and glue them down with either fabric glue or if none of that no more nails does the trick, however I always wash with hot water round the bit to be fixed and then let dry sticks so much better. if no old rugs the best thing is glue and black thick tape and glue that before sticking it on then a glue over the top to waterproof it, not very tidy but doest the trick lol.