PDA

View Full Version : decided Rudy has to go

LadyV&Louise
2nd November 2009, 05:02 PM
ok been thinking about letting rudy go since he bit my 2 year old daughter on the shoulder but decided to give him a second chance and work more with him.
But today he walked upto her sniffed her turned and kicked but missed luckily i was close i went to pick her up him not realising i was there and barrel kicked. all i can think is that if i hadnt have grabed her when i did and took the full force of the kick shed be in hospital with serious head injurys, so ive made the desicion he must go, hes fine with my other kids but for some reason hates Clara you could see it in his face, now usually id think well whats the kid done first but, shes done nothing to him shes so loving and careful and very mature for her age shes more behaved than most 5-6yr olds and my other horses dont have any problems with her so it must just be him.

Im really sad as ive done so much work with him and really turned him round but i just cannot take the risk anymore not when it comes down to the safety of my child, i just dont know what to put in an advertisement hes brilliant at everything else i can walk him on rd in heavy traffic, catch perfect great for farrier and hes only been having his legs handled for 6mths ive had him bitted n he took to it like a duck on water.
Just dont know what to do its such a shame as i love him to bits :(

CityLights
2nd November 2009, 05:53 PM
naughty pony, its not worth keeping him if he might hurt your child,

My Crazy Clan
2nd November 2009, 07:13 PM
Is it every around food? it does sounds very strange though.

Puss in boots
2nd November 2009, 07:26 PM
naughty pony, its not worth keeping him if he might hurt your child,

Yes, I second this

chescar
2nd November 2009, 07:47 PM
Absolutely - you have made the right decision.

ktsval
2nd November 2009, 09:37 PM
I'm sorry but no matter what horse it is you shouldn't have loose horses and kids in the same area especially 2 year old kids. Young kids should always be at your side if in field etc with loose horses.

helena
3rd November 2009, 05:38 AM
I would say he definitely has to go, as you'll never be able to trust him with her again. I have a pony for my daughter who is 2 and a half, he was odd with one of his previous loaner's kids for no particular reason, but is perfect with everyone else, and follows my daughter round like he's attached at the hip. I think it's just one of those things that you can't explain.

LadyV&Louise
3rd November 2009, 07:58 AM
kysval she was next to me well about 2 meters behind me brushing Gemini her mini shetland, he was the only thing inbetween us, id never let her run round loose in a field especially when i have a 16.2 in there, i know velvet wouldnt intentionally hurt her but she could easily walk on her by accident.
Thankyou everyone else for your post's a friend is going to take him on saturday, and teach him to drive she has the perfect partner for him to go to, maybe all he needs is to work, i will still get to see him which is an added bonus as hes going to the same yard where Jade is. xxx

Katie Morag
3rd November 2009, 09:46 AM
It sounds like he's jealous of her, which is a shame. But you are right, you've made the right decision, your children's safety always comes first. He just might not understand what small children are.

Good luck with finding him a new home. x

My Crazy Clan
3rd November 2009, 11:34 AM
If you were next to your other pony it sounds a bit like he was jealous that the shetty was getting the attention hence kicking out.

mandy5775
3rd November 2009, 06:48 PM
Could there be more to this than meets the eye? I think perhaps he is jealous of your daughter and for some reason sees her as a threat. How long have you had him for? Did you have him whilst you were pregnant with your daughter? I only ask because a friend of mine had the most wonderful horse, who totally changed when she fell pregnant - she ended up having to sell him. I guess that some horses must be more sensitive to children than others. I think if you have decided that you can't trust your horse with your daughter, then you are doing the right thing in selling - your relationship will never be the same again. It is a shame, especially when you've done so much work with him, but at the end of the day your children will always come first. Good luck.

LadyV&Louise
3rd November 2009, 06:48 PM
yeh could be jelousy but i can never forget that look he gave ive never seen it in a horse before it was pure hatred

Welly
3rd November 2009, 08:47 PM
Def right thing to do - your child has to come first regardless of what might have caused the attack xx