View Full Version : Riding instructor help

Bright Sparkx
3rd November 2009, 07:48 PM
I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help and tell me if you can become a riding instructor by completing a training course on teaching but without having any qualifactions for example teaching privately.

3rd November 2009, 08:32 PM
In the short of it- No
For insurance puropses you really need to be qualified BHS PTT or the ABRS equivalent, although if you were doing a training course why not just sit the exam at the end, its only a day. You will also need a first aid course which takes a day and a child protection course which is half a day.

5th November 2009, 07:30 PM
Just to add they have very recently changed the qualification scale so now you can do your ptt and portfolio, and once you have that, you can take your intermediate teaching exam. Before you would have had to do the stage 3 riding to be able to take the intermediate teach - not any more.

If you are training for your teaching exam, you do need to practice teaching, so that would be legit - but in this day and age you would want to have some kind of insurance to protect yourself.