PDA

View Full Version : Chepest horse bedding apart from straw???????

flipper
4th November 2009, 09:17 PM
I've always used Aubiose, but it's recently shot up from just over 7 a bag to over 10!! Just used the last of it I had here, so now looking for something cheaper. My Dad won't let me use straw as it doesn't rot down and we have no means of getting rid of it!! I have rubber matting in 2 stables, but not the 3rd. What's the chopped straw like? Would be easier to dispose of, as it's smaller bits! Someone told me that the wood pellets are excellent on rubber matting. Also, what sort of prices do you pay for various types of bedding?

CityLights
4th November 2009, 09:40 PM
wood pellets, depending on the type are pretty cheap although the named makes like woody pet etc are obviously a bit pricey, i think i worked out, bought in bulk of 70 bags it would work out at about 3-4 a bag, where as shavings are like 7,

chopped straw i never got on with but some people love it, paper is also pretty cheap although not always easy to get hold of and an absolute pain to muck out,

Twizzel
4th November 2009, 09:49 PM
Dust extracted shavings are 5.25 for a huge bag :)

helena
6th November 2009, 07:11 AM
I use shavings which cost 6. Other people on the yard use easy bed, again about 6 or straw.

In terms of getting rid of it, I take my shavings to the tip once a week, and the easybed/straw bedding is taken by people with allotments.

You could see if there is anyone in your area like allotment holders that would want it? That arrangement works well with us, we muck out into large bags (like mollichop bags) and the allotment people take it to their allotments and bring us the bags back. They take 60 bags a week!!

Roan Mare
6th November 2009, 01:53 PM
Nedz beds chopped straw is 7.20 per bag at my local tack shop. I'm currently on it and put down1 bag approx every 5 days, although I'm changing to straw as I just can't afford to spend that much anymore (cost has been rising, although still cheaper than Aubiose).

May be worth a try for you though?

I think if your dad won't allow you to use straw then regular shavings will be out of the question. Shavings take much longer to break down than straw and most yards in my area won't allow them on their muck heap.

Imperial
6th November 2009, 02:23 PM
I use shredded paper from work its free and works well. We burn out muck heap regular though so if there is paper and staw on it, it burns better.

rachyrooster
6th November 2009, 02:26 PM
Belvior bedding is lovely and smells nice! not sure how much it is though, very easy to muck out though, and economicall!

Bay Chaos
9th November 2009, 10:22 PM
We use megazorb, which is fab when fully mucked out daily. Costs just over 5 a bag and we use around a bag a week.

Also, doesn't take up much space on the muck heap.

I have used wood pellets and they were good too, but I did find that they got quite dusty after a while.

vels mum
9th November 2009, 10:41 PM
I get shredded newspaper for free, it decomposes quickly and is very absorbent and comfy for horses.
Find out what your local newsagent does with the used newspaper, all ours in put to the dump where they shred it and give it away as livestock bedding.

Tiaki
9th November 2009, 11:24 PM
Ditto VM. Paper is good. Not fab for really messy horses but I really like it. I collect all newspapers etc over the summer months and then shred them all myself. If I have enough I do a full paper bed, if not then I mix it in with the straw :)

xxx