PDA

View Full Version : Belvoir bedding: Anyone used/use it???????

flipper
5th November 2009, 05:57 PM
As my last thread about bedding has only had 2 answers, I'll ask a specific bedding question:o Has anyone used the Belvoir bedding: chopped straw? What did you think? Was it economical to use and was it easy to dispose of?

The Little Magician
5th November 2009, 08:53 PM
Never heard of it, shall go and investigate.

The Little Magician
5th November 2009, 08:58 PM
Hmmm, sounds really interesting.

It sounds abit like a product we sell called Happy Jack, which is chopped straw with eucalyptus, that helps with breathing and stops them from eating it. My friend uses it and finds it really good, I tried it during the summer, but I found that the eucalyptus oil in it made the mats slippery.

Sorry not very helpful:o

flipper
5th November 2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks LM :) Just nice of someone to reply!! Just wondered if my lot would find it edible with it smelling of lemon!! Would like to try it, but apparently you can only get it direct from the makers. I only want to try a few, and they probably want you to buy a pallet load. lol!

rachyrooster
6th November 2009, 01:38 PM
Lol, i just posted to your other thread!!! I've used Belvior beddings and i love it, it smells nice, its easy to much out and econolicall because you dont have to take out much bed with it. x

CityLights
6th November 2009, 01:59 PM
never heard of it but it does just look like Nedz Bedz which is treated with citronella i think instead, be carefull with treated bedding just inacse its something that you horse could be sensitive to

lilholley
6th November 2009, 02:39 PM
I don't know anything specifically but I expect if you ring them they will send you a small sample to you can have a look at it :)

chance encounter
6th November 2009, 09:05 PM
Belvoir Bedding is a long established bedding for horses. I used to use this many years ago whilst living in the Midlands, at least ten years ago. Unfortunately then Chance would eat it so we stopped using it.

Then last year I tried a similar product with ecualyptus smell to it. I absolutely adored the smell and it made everything feel so clean but as BC has mentioned it does ruin some horses feet.

I have a friend who told me to stop buying it for my ponies even though she knew I loved it as one yard had severe problems with it affecting the horses feet and in fact one horse who was prone to laminitis had to be put down. My friend was on the yard at the time so I know it isnt just a story but whether the bedding had anything to do with it is anyone's guess but there was lots of horses had problems as this was the bed that all the liveries had to purchase.

gemma1309
8th November 2009, 07:23 PM
When I was at College (9years ago now-scary thought) all the horses that ate their bed were on Belvoir bedding, I liked it!! found it economical and easier to muck out - you dont need to take as much out. Our college horses were in most of the day as very limited turnout and none of our horses had problems with their feet or eating it as it has been sprayed to deter them- but I am sure if you have a horse like my Sasha would probably eat it regardless - fiend lol. Since leaving College never heard of anyone up our end of the woods stocking it to buy it or I dare say I would as I really liked it. Let me know how you get on.

flipper
10th November 2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the replies guys :) Belvoir bedding have been in touch, as I asked them if they'd just sell me a few, so I could see if it was what I wanted. They said they don't sell in small quantities and the least I can have is 280 bales!! Even if I could afford them, have nowhere to store that amount!! Back to the drawing board me thinks :(

chance encounter
11th November 2009, 01:22 PM
Did you ask them if they supplied to someone close to you? I didnt buy mine straight from the manufactures when I lived in the Midlands. I bought them from a normal feed store/agricultural store. Maybe things have changed but I would have thought that they do supply some shops.

chance encounter
11th November 2009, 01:25 PM
You could try Flax bedding. We absolutely love this and it makes such a nice bed but we cant find a supplier up here for the one we like. Cant remember the exact name of it will ask BCE later as Im at work but that is nice as well.