PDA

View Full Version : Id be really intrigued to know how much I should pay for Uva!

loubylou
16th November 2009, 09:21 PM
The figure is set, has been from dot, and I am paying it anyway- but I just want to know if I am paying over the odds because I love her so much- I dont think so personally, but be intrigued to know what others think!

Shes a 15.1 Argentine polo pony, 9 years old. Retired from polo as she didnt have the 'go' for it- she can play it but doesnt particularly like it!! She is perfect to handle in everyway- my cousin in a wheelchair handles her, and my yo was turning her out whilst on crutches last week!! Comes to call- perfect to catch, could tack her up/have the farrier to her/clip her without a headcollar in the middle of a field if you wanted! Travels like a rock, loads first time. Hacks alone and in company and has perfect breaks- will trot through an open field with no problems! would suit a confident novice hacking. Snaffle mouthed. Perfectly behaved on the show ground, has done lots of inhand young handler with my 12yo cousin this year. Has jumped, but this needs work as she hasnt done that much of it, and rushes a little, but this is just a matter of getting used to it. Has done ridden showing, and little bit of dressage. Would probably be good at endurance as doesnt tire! No vices at all. Her only downside is she is not a novice ride in the school as can be fast and a little green in there as she associates it with polo, but with time is steadying up. She does work in an outline with the right rider (although currently not consistently with me!)
Shes a real all rounder that could turn her hoof to anything!! She tries her heart out at whatever you ask her to do!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/louloubylou/fav1-1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/louloubylou/fav2-1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/louloubylou/Uva404022009-1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/louloubylou/uva33.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/louloubylou/uva5-1.jpg

to me she is priceless, and I am happy to pay whatever for her really! Just be nice to know what I am paying is reasonable!! Oh and by loaning/buying her I also have the help and expertise from her currentowner if and when I want it- shes shown at a high level and has been invaluable over the summer in many ways!

chescar
16th November 2009, 09:24 PM
I have no idea but she is a very beautiful little horse - lovely photos

CDR
16th November 2009, 09:29 PM
Don't know because of her breed but if she was a TB I would say around 2.5K perhaps. Just a guess though.

loubylou
16th November 2009, 09:32 PM
Her breed is generally very pricy- if she was good at polo she would prob be worth an absolute fortune! I dread to think how much they paid to import her from argentina a couple of years ago- I could imagine it being steep! Luckily for me she isnt fantastic at polo, and therefore is a bit cheaper!

eeek
16th November 2009, 10:54 PM
3000? If I had the money I would buy her at 3000 as she sounds and looks absolutely gorgeous! Just my type :) Am so jealous!

helena
17th November 2009, 06:34 AM
I'm ignoring the fact that she was a poly pony as you're buying her as a riding horse. I would say in the region of 2500-3000. Her head is absolutely stunning by the way, one of the nicest I have seen and I am VERY fussy. She has the makings of a very good little horse.

Welly
17th November 2009, 10:57 AM
I have no idea on price, prob around 2.5 - 3k I reckon (but I know nothing about her breed) she is stunning though, actually take no notice of me as I may be well under valuing her and offending you lol! xx

My Crazy Clan
17th November 2009, 03:35 PM
I would say around 3k.

loubylou
17th November 2009, 10:48 PM
thanks for your lovely comments guys- its nice to know people like her almost as much as I do!! I think she is amazing, but its always nice to have it cofirmed ;) it sounds like I am spot on with the price so that makes me happy too :)

monty
18th November 2009, 12:20 AM
I think she is very nice but difficult to put a price on with out seein her..... at the min ponies/horses are not sellin I would'nt pay any more than 1,800.......Why because you can get something thats bin to HOYs for 3000 ....... but there again you cant put a price on a animal thats 100%......... 20yrs ago I paid 3,500 for a arab colt everybody said I needed a brain transplant but he as bin a dream of a horse always stood top in the ring but I did'nt buy im to show I bought im for a pet and he is still with me today......... I hope you do well as she is very pretty ...Good Luck

gem
18th November 2009, 12:25 AM
She's absolutely stunning. I generally don't think much of solid colour greys but she's so beautiful. She sounds like a lovely horse too so I'd say around 2.5k-3000, probably more this time next year after you've got some showing/dressage under your belts!

CityLights
18th November 2009, 08:17 PM
Id say she is probably a 2-2.5k horse, i wouldnt go as far as 3 for her maybe in a few more months as she isnt as strightforward ride and probably wouldnt be suitable for most riders, she also is a height that is quite tricky to sell

Zeitgeist Mom
18th November 2009, 09:14 PM
I'd say up to 3,000, she sounds very special.

CDR
18th November 2009, 09:16 PM
So how much ARE you paying loubylou??

dun blonde
18th November 2009, 10:20 PM
Sounds daft but her colour would put me off,so what I would pay is irrelevant.

From an objective POV,I would say 3k tops,and that's assuming you've had her vetted to ensure she doesn't have the usual leg and wind problems that polo ponies suffer from??

The nagatives apart from health issues would be,that she is more TB type than traditional south american polo pony type,and the fact that she didn't make the grade as a polo pony rules out any value she might have had from that.

She is obviously being successfully re-trained as a riding horse though,has age on her side (compared to many ex polo ponies on the market),and I'm guessing from the sound of her has that typical 'do what anyone asks' attitude that polo ponies usually have,for those reasons I don't see why she shouldn't command a reasonable price as mentioned above:)

Are any of us close to what you are actually paying??,or are you going to remain all mysterious about it lol;):D

loubylou
18th November 2009, 10:29 PM
I am paying 3000 for her, I thought this a little much for her but I have the added bonus of having had her on loan indefinately, and can buy when I can afford her, iether in one lump or in installments if I want to do it that way. her owner is also amazing and very involved (as much or as little as I want) so I am getting that for my money! Am also getting a trillion rugs and a couple of bridles (ive bought her a saddle now)

I never wanted a grey dun blonde, I would never have looked at her if I was buying for a million reasons, and after the first try I would have walked away as she gave me a rubbish ride and she is very much not my type in several ways. However I was loaning and her owner offered her to me on a months trial with option to cancel the agreement at any point and she would come straight and pick her up. I couldnt really loose- she was being delivered to me FOC to a field I was already paying for! Ive now had her coming up 6 months and she is sooooo perfect- I even sold my other horse so I could keep her rather than send her back when money got tight! She is priceless to me, and would probably have paid more for her for that reason!!!

CDR
18th November 2009, 10:47 PM
Well that's spot on then! Didn't we do well lol! It's ideal if you're getting loads of stuff with her and know her well already.

dun blonde
18th November 2009, 10:58 PM
Well knowing she's the right one for you counts for a heck of a lot in my book,and I personally don't think 3k is over priced considering you are doing so well with her and are happy with her.As the saying goes,a horse is worth what someone is willing to pay,and it sounds like you know she's the one and are happy to pay that amount,sounds like a good deal all round to me:)

The only thing I would say is have her vet checked,even if it's just a general 'MOT' from your own vet.I nearly bought an ex polo pony back along (I actually really like them,very biddable and well trained as a rule,also one of the most reponsive rides I have ever had),and decided to have a 2 stage done,very unlike me as don't normally bother with vettings (I know very silly of me,but have been lucky so far),but had reservations based on it having been a polo pony.Lucky I did really as vet found a heart murmur,that no-one had ever been aware of,no symptoms but could have just keeled over on me anytime.
Is apparantly quite common for them to have problems with wind/heart due to the type of work they do (short bursts of hard fast work),but not always easy to spot without a vet check.
Then there is the problems associated with legs,but they are usually more obvious,still worth having checked though.

Apologies if you have already done all this,and sorry for waffle:o,just some info I found useful when looking at buying an ex polo pony.

Good luck with her,and look foreward to reading more about your adventures together:)

loubylou
18th November 2009, 11:26 PM
have spoken to her owner about vetting and she is happy for me to have one, but has said that she has had the vet out for an MOT before she went out on loan and there is nothing wrong, and I do trust her. Dont think Uva has played enough polo for it to have any real lasting damage- but suppose you cant be too careful.
Its something I will look into, but as things stand at the moment I dont have the money to start buying her yet, let alone vet her!